Trading Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading Cards

So, I recently have started going through my old collection of cards. My 18-month-old needs more storage space for his stuff, so I should get rid of some of my stuff .

It has been a great journey, bringing back a lot of memories. I am keeping some cards for my PC and keeping 9 players of each team incase my son gets into collecting as well.

For reference, I collected from 1988 through 1993, so there is very little value in the cards (unfortunately). I collected mainly baseball, but I do have football, basketball, hockey, as well as 'future stars' (pre-draft, minor leagues, etc.).

Here are my PCs:
    1. Minnesota teams (Twins, Vikings, Timberwolves, North Stars).
    2. Ken Griffey Jr.
    3. Jim Abbott
    4. Rickey Henderson
    5. Randy Johnson
    6. Tony Gwynn (not sure I am keeping him yet)
    7. Alumni of Iowa (mainly football and basketball), South Dakota State, and Charlotte
    8. Manon Rheaume

Does anyone else collect? Or have an old stash like me?

What are your PCs?
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

J Tuba: The cards I have (survivors of the Great baseball card purge in the very late 1960s by my mom and the moms of my friends), include names like Sandy Kofax (perfect condition...I think it still smells like the bubblegum that was included in the package); Vern Law; Pete Rose (!); Willie Mays; a kid from Fargo named Roger Maris; Stan the Man from St. Louis; early Twins like Killebrew, Jim Kaat and Rich Rollins; Yogi Berra while still catching for the Yankees; and lots of Milwaukee Braves (older brother's favorite team) like the Aaron brother, Hank and Tommy), Warren Spahn and Eddie Matthews.

My generation didn't get a chance to decide which ones to keep and which ones to toss. My older brother had a great collection but he made the tactical error of keeping them organized and in one place (easier to throw out). My brother was a big baseball fan -- still is. I think I liked the gum as much as the cards (for the uninitiated who may be reading this: the gum was usually pretty stiff and only became chewable after spending a couple days in your back pocket). Most of my cards went in the garbage but I was divresified and had them in at least three places...about 100 survived.

One of the survivors is a 1959 Cleveland Indians outfielder Minnie Minoso. I'm not sure how I got that card (I was 5 years old in 1959) -- It's remained in my collection after serving as the motorcycle-noise-simulator when engaged with the front-wheel spokes of my bike. (Anybody remember doing that with a clothes pin taken from the clothes line in the back yard -- attach the card to one of the fender supports in the front wheel and make sure the card is in the spokes.) Minnie's picture is a little worse for the wear but it came out better than a Clete Boyer card that I put about 20 miles on until it essentially disintegrated.

Comment

Those are some solid names.

My dad wasn't a big collector, but he did have some survive storage in the attic at his mother's. I believe they were the Post cereal cards. The kind that was the back of the box. No big names, but I am keeping those in my PC as well.

Comment

Mine are about the same as you Jimmy. I started in 1985/1986. While most are worthless, I filled in the time between football and baseball collecting basketball cards. Thankfully the only ones the 7/11 by my house carried in 1986 were Fleer. The sun shines on a dog's ass every once in a while.
        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
          Mine are about the same as you Jimmy. I started in 1985/1986. While most are worthless, I filled in the time between football and baseball collecting basketball cards. Thankfully the only ones the 7/11 by my house carried in 1986 were Fleer. The sun shines on a dog's ass every once in a while.
          Do I correctly infer that you obtained a Michael Jordan from those packs?

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post

Do I correctly infer that you obtained a Michael Jordan from those packs?
            Yes sir. Unfortunately none graded at a 10, but still fun to have.
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post

Yes sir. Unfortunately none graded at a 10, but still fun to have.
              Very fun. Grading is nice, but just having the card is awesome.

There are many cards I'd take at any grade, just to have them. I'm more about collecting than investing, but I get the investing side.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                J Tuba: The cards I have (survivors of the Great baseball card purge in the very late 1960s by my mom and the moms of my friends), include names like Sandy Kofax (perfect condition...I think it still smells like the bubblegum that was included in the package); Vern Law; Pete Rose (!); Willie Mays; a kid from Fargo named Roger Maris; Stan the Man from St. Louis; early Twins like Killebrew, Jim Kaat and Rich Rollins; Yogi Berra while still catching for the Yankees; and lots of Milwaukee Braves (older brother's favorite team) like the Aaron brother, Hank and Tommy), Warren Spahn and Eddie Matthews.

My generation didn't get a chance to decide which ones to keep and which ones to toss. My older brother had a great collection but he made the tactical error of keeping them organized and in one place (easier to throw out). My brother was a big baseball fan -- still is. I think I liked the gum as much as the cards (for the uninitiated who may be reading this: the gum was usually pretty stiff and only became chewable after spending a couple days in your back pocket). Most of my cards went in the garbage but I was divresified and had them in at least three places...about 100 survived.

One of the survivors is a 1959 Cleveland Indians outfielder Minnie Minoso. I'm not sure how I got that card (I was 5 years old in 1959) -- It's remained in my collection after serving as the motorcycle-noise-simulator when engaged with the front-wheel spokes of my bike. (Anybody remember doing that with a clothes pin taken from the clothes line in the back yard -- attach the card to one of the fender supports in the front wheel and make sure the card is in the spokes.) Minnie's picture is a little worse for the wear but it came out better than a Clete Boyer card that I put about 20 miles on until it essentially disintegrated.
                It appears that we share 1954 as our birth year. Our collecting stories are also similar. I received a bunch of mid to late 50's cards from two older cousins, most of which disappeared during my college and early working years. I collected a bunch of 60's baseball. I ended up selling every year but 1965. I had probably 80 % of the 65 set, and used the proceeds from selling the other years to complete that set. I kept that year because the Twins went to the World Series that season. Harmon Killebrew was my favorite player, and I have every year of his Topps cards. I still have the 65 set, and can go through them and name almost every player just from the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Harmon Killebrew was my favorite player, and I have every year of his Topps cards.
                  That is pretty awesome! I wouldn't mind doing this for Kirby, but I don't think the wife would approve

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    J TIt's remained in my collection after serving as the motorcycle-noise-simulator when engaged with the front-wheel spokes of my bike. (Anybody remember doing that with a clothes pin taken from the clothes line in the back yard -- attach the card to one of the fender supports in the front wheel and make sure the card is in the spokes.) .
                    Many good cards were destroyed in that way, but man it made the black Hiawatha go like lightening!
                    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post

That is pretty awesome! I wouldn't mind doing this for Kirby, but I don't think the wife would approve
                      It is a lot easier with the 50's -70's players. Only one card per player per year and no insert cards. Starting with the Puckett era, there are hundreds of cards of the popular players with all the different sets and insert cards produced.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

It is a lot easier with the 50's -70's players. Only one card per player per year and no insert cards. Starting with the Puckett era, there are hundreds of cards of the popular players with all the different sets and insert cards produced.
                        I would go with just Topps, as looking back, I wish I would have bought only that brand.

I would also limit it to his playing years (1984-1995), so I wouldn't worry about a random insert from 2022. I bet once I catalog, I might only be missing his 1985 and 1986 card, as well the two after 1993.

Comment

Working...
                        X