Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Introductions./Favorite Jacks QB

Attended Miller High School and Graduated from Aberdeen Roncalli HS

Attended SDSU 86-91, Graduated B.S. Commercial Econ.

Was a student manager for the football team during those years.  A large portion of the students and even some teachers that knew me only knew my nickname and still don't know my real name.

Returned to SDSU in 2003 to get a Education certificate and math degree and serve as the equipment manager for the football team.

Currently seeking a master's degree in Bio Statistics here at good ole SDSU (for those counting I will end up with just over 10 years as a student here.  You'd think I'd get a discount at some point.)

I have witnessed from the sidelines - Ted Wahl, Greg Adams, Shane Bouman, Brad Nelson, Andy Kardoes and Ryan Berry.   I have gotten to know Andy and Ryan so well that it is hard for me to be objective when choosing a favorite

Favorite Player - Chris Coauette - that guy was a football player -that's the only way to say it.  They should show film of that kid to every incoming linebacker (apologies MJA)

Favorite Moment - Tie -
    1. Being in the video booth during Wayne Haensel's last game down at UNO.  The Jacks scored with no time on the clock to win the game and Wayne went bouncing onto the field like Jimmy V when he won the NCAA.  Tom Maxwell was calling the game that day and fell off of his stool when we scored.

2. My first game back with the football team was the NW Missouri game.  I stepped out of the locker room before game time and the pride was under the grandstand marching in.  It gave me chills.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Graduated from SDSU in '01 with BS in Biology
      Graduated from UW-Milwaukee in '04 with MS in Exercise Physiology
      Interned at the US Olympic Training Center in Lake Placid, NY for 3 months
      Recently returned from living in Australia for a year working in the Physiology Dept. at the Australian Institute of Sport (their version of an Olympic Training Center and by far better than the US Olympic Training Centers).

Favorite QB would have to be Noel Bouche; he lived on the same floor as I did in Pierson. He wasn't only a descent QB, but was the nicest guy around.

Favorite basketball player would have to be Mark Teztlaff. Would go and watch him play with my Dad and Mom. Mark's mom was my 1st grade teacher.

My dad (who played football at state), my sister (who cheered at State; I believe she cheered with your wife MJA) and brother all attended SDSU.

Comment

Graduated from SDSU with a degree in Civil Engineering in 2002, which explains my message board name...

Currently live and work in Sioux Falls, which is great because so many of my friends from college are in the area, and I'm plenty close to still make it to alot of athletic events at SDSU.

I enjoyed watching Bouche, Nelson, and Fjeldheim while I went to school, but would probably have to pick Dan as my favorite. Not only was he a good quarterback, but I had some engineering classes with him back in the day and he was just as good of a guy as he was a QB.

Comment

BS in Pharmacy from SDSU 1975.

I grew up in eastern South Dakota.  Went to grade school in Arlington and graduated from Sioux Valley in Volga.  

I don't think that I missed a home football game in my 5 years at State and I didn't miss many home basketball games.  I remember getting in line outside the Barn at 2:00 for an 8:05 game with USD.  

Favorite QB - Gary Maffett

Favorite BB player - Most of you are too young to remember John Massa.  He was a guard.  I think he was 1 year ahead of Lee Colburn and Dave Thomas.
          Great hustle and a great shooter.  The Jacks never lost when he had a good night.

The handle comes from my first job in Granite Falls, Mn.  Back then I had a lot of time to play golf.   I am a somewhat portly gentleman with a big moustache, so a lot of people on the golf course thought I looked like Craig Stadler (aka The Walrus).  I was never an athlete and nobody every suggested that I played like him.  Nowdays I would rather go fishing.

I get to a couple games a year and spend too much time following the Jacks on the radio and internet and far too much time lurking on this board.  It is comforting to know that there are others with similar addictions.  I assume that like me, none of you have any desire to kick the habit. ;D

GO JACKS

An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
          US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

Attended U of Minnesota 1997-8 (young and stupid, thought I needed to get out of SD)
            Attended SDSU 1998-2002.  Graduated BA in History/Education
            Will finish MS from SDSU in May 2007.

My father attended State, 3 uncles, and a couple handfuls of cousins.  Like many of you it is in my blood.  Attended my first Hobo Day Parade at six months, haven't missed more than a couple since.  
            Met my wife at State (03 grad)...friends say I married up, I don't deny it.
            Have two wonderful little ones, five and five months.  Counting the days until they enroll...

Favorite QB:  Brad Nelson - threw the prettiest deep ball I have ever seen
            Favorite FB player:  Stern Akin, Chris Couette, Josh Ranek...too many to name.
            Favortie BBall Players:  Chris White - was just "the man" when I was growing up
               Chris Stoebner - worked his tail off, rebounded like crazy
              Matt Cadwell - on his way to making the list.

"I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Attended SDSU from 97-01. Graduated with BS in Mathematics.

Met my wife at State and she is currently taking classes to finish. She took a 4 year hiatus during which we were married and had our first and only child. Both my parents attended SDSU. Almost every aunt and uncle attended State as well. Grew up around Brookings and didn't even ponder where I would attend school.

Started attending at least a couple of games per year while I was in Junior High. Since my freshman year I have only missed a few home games, and those were mainly to be in weddings. Unfortunately, I will be missing Hobo Days this year because of my job. As far as I know, it's the first time in almost 10 years.

Favorite QB: Curly-he just flat out made plays and was a leader on the field. Feldy a close second.
              Favorite individual performance: Stern Akin (Sr. year) at NDSU. There were better games statistically, but I have never seen anyone literally leave it on the field like he did that day. He was peeling himself up off the ground after every play and went out and made another play. Never seen anything like it again. Had a chance to win the game at the end with Gordon missing a long field goal. I'm sure many remember, but we had 2 false starts that made it a 50-something yarder.
              Best games that were the most disappointing: Northern in the regional (we play that game 10 times and we would have won 9), Metro in the regional (Schantz with a chance at the end on a layup...could've easily gotten the foul call)

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea
                Attended SDSU from 97-01.  Graduated with BS in Mathematics.

Met my wife at State and she is currently taking classes to finish.  She took a 4 year hiatus during which we were married and had our first and only child.  Both my parents attended SDSU.  Almost every aunt and uncle attended State as well.  Grew up around Brookings and didn't even ponder where I would attend school.  

Started attending at least a couple of games per year while I was in Junior High.  Since my freshman year I have only missed a few home games, and those were mainly to be in weddings.  Unfortunately, I will be missing Hobo Days this year because of my job.  As far as I know, it's the first time in almost 10 years.

Favorite QB: Curly-he just flat out made plays and was a leader on the field. Feldy a close second.
                Favorite individual performance:  Stern Akin (Sr. year) at NDSU.  There were better games statistically, but I have never seen anyone literally leave it on the field like he did that day.  He was peeling himself up off the ground after every play and went out and made another play.  Never seen anything like it again.  Had a chance to win the game at the end with Gordon missing a long field goal.  I'm sure many remember, but we had 2 false starts that made it a 50-something yarder.
                Best games that were the most disappointing:  Northern in the regional (we play that game 10 times and we would have won 9), Metro in the regional (Schantz with a chance at the end on a layup...could've easily gotten the foul call)
                The NDSU game was the game Ranek had 280+ yards rushing. He threw an INT on a half-back pass trying to hit Greg Niederauer for the TD. That was the most disappointing loss in my career. More so because I was watching from the sidelines with a torn MCL thanks to a cheapshot from the UNO fullback. That was a gutshot loss. We should have won that game without a doubt.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I attended SDSU 1984 - 88 and graduated with a BSEE in 1988. I spent six years after graduation flying subhunters for the Navy before getting my JD at USD in 1997. Met my wife while she was attending the "other SDSU" in San Diego. I'm now in private practice in Boise and looking forward to catching Jacks games as they battle with some of the Big Sky teams in this part of the country.

I'll have to put my vote in for Ted Wahl -- he was a phenomenal dual-threat quarterback. My favorite football moment is, by far, the 1985 Hobo Day game when the Jacks sent the No.1 ranked Coyotes packing with a humiliating loss!

Comment

Aberdeen native, now 35 and again living in Aberdeen. Graduated from SDSU in 1996 with a degree in journalism and a history minor. Make it back to Brookings, with cowbell in hand, for most home football games. Let me see ... some of my favorites:

SDSU QB: Noel Bouche
                    SDSU football player: Josh Ranek
                    SDSU Men’s basketball player: Jason Sempsrott
                    SDSU Women’s basketball player: Angie Swenson
                    Other SDSU athlete: Kim Fordham Lien
                    Collegian editor: Jason Hove
                    SDSU sports memories: Watching football games at which the Jacks won and The Pride performed and watching baseball games when they were played on the former field next to Frost Arena.

Maybe I will meet some of you soon in The Backyard. Go, Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Backer
                      Aberdeen native, now 35 and again living in Aberdeen. Graduated from SDSU in 1996 with a degree in journalism and a history minor. Make it back to Brookings, with cowbell in hand,  for most home football games. Let me see ... some of my favorites:

SDSU QB: Noel Bouche
                      SDSU football player: Josh Ranek
                      SDSU Men’s basketball player: Jason Sempsrott
                      SDSU Women’s basketball player: Angie Swenson
                      Other SDSU athlete: Kim Fordham Lien
                      Collegian editor: Jason Hove
                      SDSU sports memories: Watching football games at which the Jacks won and The Pride performed and watching baseball games when they were played on the former field next to Frost Arena.

Maybe I will meet some of you soon in The Backyard. Go, Jacks!
                      Heuter field (if I'm not mistaken), I loved that place. Sorry to see it go.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Close md, Huether Field

I really loved watching games there.

"The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy
                          Close md, Huether Field

Oh yeah spelled Heuther but pronouced heater (again if I'm not mistaken).
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy
                            Close md, Huether Field

Erv Huether Field, I think, to be exact. As I said, I loved watching games there, too. The only bad thing was the HPER cast a large shadow what was sometimes very cool. That shadow also meant snow stayed on the field longer, which stunk. I remember players shoveling off the first base side of the field because it never saw any sun. ;D Good times.

Comment

Native South Dakotan, although my dad was in the military so I have lived in many places.  Attended SDSU from the fall of 1984 until May of 1989.  Graduated with a BS and double majored in Political Science and History.  I have been in Kansas City since 1991 and am married to a Kansas Stater, who is from San Diego, and we have two little Jackrabbits (Boy and Girl), she thinks they are Wildcats.  :    ;D

Favorite QB is Gary Maffett.  Not only did he lead our Jackrabbits to the playoffs when I was a kid, he was one of my assistant coaches when I played for Brookings High (1983 AAA State Champions).  

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by Walrus
                                BS in Pharmacy from SDSU 1975.

I grew up in eastern South Dakota.  Went to grade school in Arlington and graduated from Sioux Valley in Volga.  

I don't think that I missed a home football game in my 5 years at State and I didn't miss many home basketball games.  I remember getting in line outside the Barn at 2:00 for an 8:05 game with USD.  

Favorite QB - Gary Maffett

Favorite BB player - Most of you are too young to remember John Massa.  He was a guard.  I think he was 1 year ahead of Lee Colburn and Dave Thomas.
                                Great hustle and a great shooter.  The Jacks never lost when he had a good night.
                                Nice to see a couple of old-timers like Haldersham and Walrus contributing....I'm a '76 SDSU journalism grad (79 USD law)...my freshman year, 72-73, was the transition from the Barn to Frost.  Fabulous memories of Colburn and Thomas...and then the guard, Rick Wiblemo (and Rich Garry too): if there had been the 3-pt shot then, the scorer's table would have required a calculator.  When we moved to Frost after the Christmas break, we all wondered what happened.  It seemed like a huge, quiet cavern.  Coach Marking supposedly commented that if the place didn't liven up, we'd go back to the Barn.  (And now, Frost is the envy of many, many schools.)  Marking was quite a motivator and a great coach.

I remember well seeing Lynn Boden slowly driving his new, black Monte Carlo on the street in front of the Admin Building the day after he was drafted (72 or 73?).  If my memory is accurate, Boden was the only NCC player drafted in the 1st round of the NFL draft.  Boden was sitting on the back of the front seat of his new car, sticking out of the custom sun roof, waving at everyone.  He was pretty well liked on campus.  

Too many favorite quarterbacks to pick just one...in recent times, one of my favorties was Dan Fjeldheim: few have made the strides he made so that when he was a junior and senior, just a real heady player who could make it happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X