Election results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Election results

The Argus has a update articale on the make of the SD Legislature. The former Augie coach may be facing a recount. I thought she had won.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...0328/1001/NEWS

Comment

Looks like both the US house and Senate now under democratic control. This is pending recounts and Virginia remains the closest race.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
        I think the Marriage amendment might have some problems down the road as its more than a gay issue, its affects corporations and partnerships. I would look for this law to be before the Supreme Court not too far in the future.
        While it is likely that the constitutional amendment will be challenged in court, I think it will be on federal constitutional grounds. Private companies will still be able to offer benefits under their plans as they know do with SD's law defining marriage as man-women. Also, as a constitutional amendment, review would be different than other statutes that have been passed. It will be interesting to see how this issue progresses.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
          [quote author=Haldersham link=1162934286/0#13 date=1163043334]I think the Marriage amendment might have some problems down the road as its more than a gay issue, its affects corporations and partnerships. I would look for this law to be before the Supreme Court not too far in the future.
          While it is likely that the constitutional amendment will be challenged in court, I think it will be on federal constitutional grounds. Private companies will still be able to offer benefits under their plans as they know do with SD's law defining marriage as man-women. Also, as a constitutional amendment, review would be different than other statutes that have been passed. It will be interesting to see how this issue progresses. [/quote]

Thanks I think you are more clear than what I was trying to say about this amendment. Its problematic no matter whether at state or federal judical level, but I would agree its more likely to be federal constitutional challenges ahead.

I understand Roger Hunt wants to bring up the abortion ban again in the next legislative session. Although I dont agree with State Senator Hunt, I do have to say he is persistent.

Comment

I think the Yes on 6 people realized they had won about 3 weeks after the law was referred, regardless of how the vote came out on election day. The opponents began their campaign focused on the lack of exceptions for rape and incest, and made that by far the primary focus of this campaign. It was really the only issue discussed in any real depth. I am sure that with in a day or two of this session opening, the same bill with very narrowly defined exceptions for rape and incest will be introduced, eventually passed and signed by the Governor. If the opposition tries to refer this one, the supporters will come back with this is what they [the opponents] said they wanted. The supporters of the abortion ban did not start a very aggressive campaign right after the referral was made, and in the end, IMHO, it probably was the best political move they could have done.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
            X