Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Music

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
    MJA made me feel very old. I honestly could not tell which column was the band's name and which was name of the album. Pretty sure Ray LaMontagne is an individual, but I was so lost on the others I figured I could get that one wrong also. As for Dizzy, Duke & Miles, I got those covered.
    I wouldn't feel too old. His list is definitely not mainstream music but more of his own taste.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
      MJA made me feel very old. I honestly could not tell which column was the band's name and which was name of the album. Pretty sure Ray LaMontagne is an individual, but I was so lost on the others I figured I could get that one wrong also. As for Dizzy, Duke & Miles, I got those covered.

Definitely not music you would find on the radio that's for sure. Ray LaMontagne is a pretty popular fella. He has appeared on "Austin City Limits" and is about as easy listening as they come. My Morning Jacket is also relatively popular having appeared on Austin City Limits two times now. Constantines and The Hold Steady are just solid rock n roll bands if you like that sort of music. The Young Knives is a very popular British Rock Band. Nick Cave has been putting out music for years. Wax Fang, Black Mountain and Portishead are definitely a little different. All couched in R'n'R, but a little different.

If it helps, I made my Mom (60) a sampling disc of some of the music on this list and she listens to it quite often as she drives around central SD doing her dietician thing.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Thought about starting a new thread, but hey, it's a music video:

Bad Grammar

(YouTube video).

I ROFLMAO'ed.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
          Definitely not music you would find on the radio that's for sure. Ray LaMontagne is a pretty popular fella. He has appeared on "Austin City Limits" and is about as easy listening as they come. My Morning Jacket is also relatively popular having appeared on Austin City Limits two times now. Constantines and The Hold Steady are just solid rock n roll bands if you like that sort of music. The Young Knives is a very popular British Rock Band. Nick Cave has been putting out music for years. Wax Fang, Black Mountain and Portishead are definitely a little different. All couched in R'n'R, but a little different.

If it helps, I made my Mom (60) a sampling disc of some of the music on this list and she listens to it quite often as she drives around central SD doing her dietician thing.
          Love the selection of the Young Knives. Others to consider, the Libertines and Decemberists. I'm still more a fan of Ryan Adams than Ray LaMontane. Cold Roses is still today in my rotation. Also, since I just stumbled on this string I looked back and have to agree with you on your 2007 pick of Sky Blue Sky. Wilco is a great band and going back to Uncle Tupelo Tweedy is a genius.

Plus, for some interesting more obscure regional bands who are great live check out The Samples or Still Willis. I've seen The Samples at Red Rocks and there is no band that can capture the feel of the Rocky Mountains.

Comment

Ok, I am putting the call out for some help. I am trying to find some new music in a specific style and haven't done well. Here is what I am looking for.

I love the Black Crowes. I can't get enough of their greatest hits album. I am looking for some new music with that similar southern rock style. (I know about Lynyrd and .38 special et al from the 70's and 80's looking for something more 2000's)

I have been looking for some good new metal music also. I am a fan of Metallica, Finger Eleven, Sevendust, Foo Fighters, Fuel. I have been listening to Seether, Theory of a Deadman, Hinder but think they are too "radio ready". I am also not much of a fan of the real hate rock that is out there (System of a Down, rage against the machine)

Anyone got any ideas? I would love to hear some groups you like out there in these genres.
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

On the Southern side, try "Cross Canadian Ragweed". They have a live cd that really rocks. Their name is actually a combination of their last names, sort of. I also think they have some of the same "off-stage" interests as the Crowes! One of their sing-along songs is "The Boys from Oklahoma (Roll Their Joints All Wrong)". Go to www.crosscanadianragweed.com and you can hear some of their stuff.

You might also try the "Drive-By Truckers" or "Southern Culture on the Skids". I am no help at all on the metal side of things. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                Ok, I am putting the call out for some help. I am trying to find some new music in a specific style and haven't done well. Here is what I am looking for.

I love the Black Crowes. I can't get enough of their greatest hits album. I am looking for some new music with that similar southern rock style. (I know about Lynyrd and .38 special et al from the 70's and 80's looking for something more 2000's)

I have been looking for some good new metal music also. I am a fan of Metallica, Finger Eleven, Sevendust, Foo Fighters, Fuel. I have been listening to Seether, Theory of a Deadman, Hinder but think they are too "radio ready". I am also not much of a fan of the real hate rock that is out there (System of a Down, rage against the machine)

Anyone got any ideas? I would love to hear some groups you like out there in these genres.
                If you enjoy Southern Rock and haven't been listening to the Kings of Leon, you need to. Not my style, but I enjoy them.

http://www.kingsofleon.com/
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I have their CD, there were some good songs but its a little too "something I can't put my finger on" for my taste.
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

Not much of a fan of the "metal" bands you listed but if your looking for good rock that has that "southern rock" feel than I would suggest Blitzen trapper and the Black Keys. Also agree that Kings of Leon fit that bill, especially their first couple CD's.

Comment

• Re: Music

I'll have to listen to the previous Kings of Leon. I bought the most recent one. It was pretty good but there was some odd stuff that hasn't grown on me just yet.
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Kings of Leon for sure. The CD prior to this one is dynamite. Its probably more what you are looking for.
                        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I love the Black Crowes. I can't get enough of their greatest hits album.

QFA. Ain't much out there that can rival the Southern Harmony and Musical Companion. Saw them play in Salina, KS during their High as the Moon Tour in '93. That was some primo stuff. To date, I still consider that the best concert I've ever seen.

Comment

UPDATE: I purchased Cross Canadian Ragweed's Soul Gravy and stumbled along and found Bo Bice's Sophomore effort "See the Light". Very Blues/Rock/with a little country mixed in. Might be worth a listen for those of you that like this type of music.

I am still looking for some Hard Rock/Metal music if anyone has any suggestions.
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

UPDATE: I purchased Cross Canadian Ragweed's Soul Gravy and stumbled along and found Bo Bice's Sophomore effort "See the Light". Very Blues/Rock/with a little country mixed in. Might be worth a listen for those of you that like this type of music.

I am still looking for some Hard Rock/Metal music if anyone has any suggestions.
                              Good Metal from 2008

1) Opeth - "Watershed"
                              2) Gojira - "The Way of all Flesh
                              3) Toadies - "No Deliverance" (hard rock - not quite metal)
                              4) Trivium - "Shogun"
                              5) The Sword - "Gods of the Earth"
                              6) Iced Earth - "The Crucible of Man"
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

For some good Blues/Rock/Americana music check out William Elliott Whitmore's new album, "Animals In The Dark". It was just released. Really good. Also, Bon Iver's new album is really good.

Comment

Working...
                                X