Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Music

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
    When I saw him, he didn't do anything like that. He just played music for almost 2 hours and didn't really go off tangent from the music. He also didn't really go into any politics which made me happy because I had a feeling that he was going to do that.
    For what its worth, he did another show in Milwaukee towards the end of the tour (the one I went to was the opening act of the tour) and it was supposedly much better. Those who went had similar comments to yours. Just played music and sounded great.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

If you are a fan of Jimmy Eat World I suggest checking out their latest installment Chase This Light

Comment

Figured I'd throw this in the music thread for all you Pearl Jam lovers out there. Jeff Ament is the bassist for PJ and lives in Missoula and a huge sports lover, especially the Grizz.

http://missoulian.com/articles/2008/...s/sports05.txt

Go Jacks!!
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

If anyone gets a chance to see The Swell Season in their current tour of the US, do it. If that means driving 2 states away to see the, do it. They were in Milwaukee last night and were phenominal. They were the group who won the oscar this year for song in a movie or whatever category that is. Their roots are from a group called "The Frames" from Ireland. They have a reputation as one of the best live bands in Europe (more popular than U2 in Ireland). Lead singer, Glen Hansbard, lives up to the reputation. For those on the board who live in Michigan, maybe a certain ex-Argus employee, should take heed. They are heading to Michigan either tonight or tomorrow. Find some tickets, grab the significant other and make the road trip.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
            If anyone gets a chance to see The Swell Season in their current tour of the US, do it. If that means driving 2 states away to see the, do it. They were in Milwaukee last night and were phenominal. They were the group who won the oscar this year for song in a movie or whatever category that is. Their roots are from a group called "The Frames" from Ireland. They have a reputation as one of the best live bands in Europe (more popular than U2 in Ireland). Lead singer, Glen Hansbard, lives up to the reputation. For those on the board who live in Michigan, maybe a certain ex-Argus employee, should take heed. They are heading to Michigan either tonight or tomorrow. Find some tickets, grab the significant other and make the road trip.
            Sadly, I'm stuck in the office tonight or I'd go check them out. Looks like TSS will be in Chicago and a few other places nearby soon, so I'll do what I can to get there. Going to see The Police/Elvis Costello tomorrow in Grand Rapids. Saw Elvis at Washington Pavillion on the urging of friends a few years ago and was blown away, so this should rank up there with the Tom Petty/Pearl Jam show I caught in '06.

Comment

Wish I would have known this a few days ago, because they were just in KC. I am not going to lie, I doubt I would have got to go, finals and all. Hopefully I can catch them in the future. I also had to miss Wilco, outdoors in downtown Lawrence because of stupid finals. That also did not make me happy. I am going to see DMB and the Black Crowes at Busch Stadium in a month and I am pretty excited about that. I've seen DMB about 10 times, but it will be pretty cool to see them at Busch.
              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by sfsd View Post
                Tom Petty/Pearl Jam show I caught in '06.
                That was a great, great show as I was fortunate enough to be there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by sfsd View Post
                  Sadly, I'm stuck in the office tonight or I'd go check them out. Looks like TSS will be in Chicago and a few other places nearby soon, so I'll do what I can to get there. Going to see The Police/Elvis Costello tomorrow in Grand Rapids. Saw Elvis at Washington Pavillion on the urging of friends a few years ago and was blown away, so this should rank up there with the Tom Petty/Pearl Jam show I caught in '06.

Simply stated, Elvis Costello rocks. The Police (as long as Sting stays away from any thoughts of singing a song from his Fields of Gold solo album) also rock. Give an accounting of the show. They play here in July at a great outdoor venue.

Comment

For anyone that is interested Death Cab For Cutie just came out with a new CD and from what I have heard of it is, it is fantastic. Death Cab is one of my favorite bands and I would go see them in Minneapolis early June but I have to work early the next day so I can't.

Comment

For anyone who is interested, here is my best of 2008 music list. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. All great albums. I'm a rock/alternative/folk kinda guy who listens to a lot of old school Jazz (Dizzy, Duke, Miles, etc) to get a perspective on my musical tastes.

Below is my list. I'm too lazy and indecisive to put them down in numerical order, so I'm going the lawschool ranking method. Tier 1 is the best of the best, tier 2 a very good album that should be on the regular rotation, tier 3 being an album you must have in the collection, but doesn't necessarily make the regular rotation. Something like that, anyway.

Tier 1 (no particular order)
                      Black Mountain - In the Future (Alt)
                      The Young Knives - Superabundance (Brit Rock)
                      Wax Fang - La La Land (Alt)
                      Constantines - Kensington Heights (Rock)

Tier 2
                      Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes (Alt/Folk)
                      Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid (Alt?)
                      The Hold Steady - Stay Positive (Rock)
                      Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig (Alt)
                      Ray LaMontagne - Gossip In The Grain (Folk)

Tier 3
                      Howlin Rain - Magnificent Fiend (Alt/Rock)
                      My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges (Alt) *Originally hated album, now listen to it often and enjoy 80% of it.
                      Portishead - Third (Alt?)
                      Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend (College Rock)

A very good music year, if you ask me. Have a great holiday season and a happy new year!

Comment

For anyone who is interested, here is my best of 2008 music list. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. All great albums. I'm a rock/alternative/folk kinda guy who listens to a lot of old school Jazz (Dizzy, Duke, Miles, etc) to get a perspective on my musical tastes.

Below is my list. I'm too lazy and indecisive to put them down in numerical order, so I'm going the lawschool ranking method. Tier 1 is the best of the best, tier 2 a very good album that should be on the regular rotation, tier 3 being an album you must have in the collection, but doesn't necessarily make the regular rotation. Something like that, anyway.

Tier 2

Tier 3
                        My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges (Alt) *Originally hated album, now listen to it often and enjoy 80% of it.

A very good music year, if you ask me. Have a great holiday season and a happy new year!

Good list MJA, haven't heard of most of these but I might check some of them out. One CD that I was extremely impressed with this year was "We sing, we dance, we steal things" by Jason Mraz. I was never a huge fan of his but I gave the CD a try and came away very impressed. Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes came out with a solo CD this year, but I haven't check it out yet.

I didn't come across many CDs that deserved repeated listens for some reason this year. Sure there was a few like Jason Mraz and the new Death Cab CD that I listen to quite a bit, but nothing was playing in my car for several weeks. I would say it was a decent year but there has been stronger.

It would have been a better year if the likes of Nickelback, Seether, Saving Abel and Hinder didn't oversaturate the radio waves

Comment

Tier 2

Tier 3

Old Crow Medicine Show? I know it's a little older but I don't listen to much folk music. You're probably up on the new stuff?

Comment

At the risk of sounding like a geek, I've been listening quite a bit to Andrea Bocelli... I've never been a fan of opera, but WOW!
                            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Call me whatever, but I have never heard of any of those groups. Country , Hard Rock, yea.

Comment

MJA made me feel very old. I honestly could not tell which column was the band's name and which was name of the album. Pretty sure Ray LaMontagne is an individual, but I was so lost on the others I figured I could get that one wrong also. As for Dizzy, Duke & Miles, I got those covered.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X