X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Music

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
    [quote author=Rabbitlivinginverm link=1144854878/0#3 date=1144856426
    I'm big into Jack Johnson. I got a hold of some live and rare tracks (about 20) a couple months ago. My wife and I even bought the Curious George soundtrack and we don't have kids :-[. My co-workers gave me crap when they saw that in my vehicle :-[

I'm also a big fan of Incubus, especially their first couple of albums.
    I have the Curious George soundtrack myself. I like it, but for some reason I'm stuck on his On & On CD right now. I have a soft spot in my heart for Jack Johnson. He and Pete Yorn were blaring out of my stereo the weekend I moved into my house. One of those memories you'll never forget.

I don't have any Incubus and enjoy their popular songs. Not sure why I haven't picked up one of their ablums. What would be your 2 favorites?

Side Note: if you play guitar, the "Upside Down" song on the Curious George soundtrack is a pretty easy song to play. OLGA has the tabs on their site if interested.
    [/quote]

I know this was a while ago but since no one responded I will give you my two favorite Incubus CDs. "Make Yourself" is their best CD by far IMO, it was really at their peak and it has some of their best songs on there such as Stellar, Drive, and Pardon Me. My second favorite CD by them is either S.C.I.E.N.C.E or Morning View, both have exceptional songs on them, the best song on SCIENCE is A Certain Shade of Green and the best song on Morning View is probably Wish you were here. Some of their older stuff is very experimental and different, they kinda have gotten away from with their last 2 CDs, their newest one came out on Tuesday.

MJA have you listened to the Transatlantacism CD by Death Cab for Cutie? IMO it is better than Plans.

Comment

MJA: If you're looking for something different, try Imogen Heap. Start with "Just for Now". She's been receiving a fair amount of attention for the past year. Unique.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
        MJA: If you're looking for something different, try Imogen Heap. Start with "Just for Now". She's been receiving a fair amount of attention for the past year. Unique.
        Somehow I forgot about Imogen Heap, pretty good stuff

Comment

If you can find it...there's a video on the internet (can't remember where I saw it) in which Imogen Heap sings/plays "Just for Now" acapella, using a digital recording aparatus that allows her to lay down tracks, play them back at certain intervals etc., so that she "builds" the song as you watch. While you watch, she becomes an entire orchestra with her voice. It's amazing. She's a talent.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4

I know this was a while ago but since no one responded I will give you my two favorite Incubus CDs. "Make Yourself" is their best CD by far IMO, it was really at their peak and it has some of their best songs on there such as Stellar, Drive, and Pardon Me. My second favorite CD by them is either S.C.I.E.N.C.E or Morning View, both have exceptional songs on them, the best song on SCIENCE is A Certain Shade of Green and the best song on Morning View is probably Wish you were here. Some of their older stuff is very experimental and different, they kinda have gotten away from with their last 2 CDs, their newest one came out on Tuesday.

MJA have you listened to the Transatlantacism CD by Death Cab for Cutie? IMO it is better than Plans.
            The whole Morning View album is good. But the whole Make Yourself album is better (by far my favorite). My favorite song on SCIENCE is Anit-Gravity Love Song (probably my favorite Incubus song as well). Have you checked out their new CD yet?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
              MJA:  If you're looking for something different, try Imogen Heap.  Start with "Just for Now".  She's been receiving a fair amount of attention for the past year.  Unique.
              Thanks counsel. Just listened to a couple clips of her on youtube. She is definitely unique, but I like it. Reminds me a little of Ani Difranco, but not quite as rough around the edges. More importantly, I think my wife will really like her sound. Great stocking stuffer idea.

A good CD if you're looking for something kinda mellow is Ray LaMontange "Til the Sun Turns Black". He was on Austin City Limits a while back with Ben Folds. A friend put me on to him and it was a good suggestion. Also try M. Ward "Post War". Go to Amazon.com and give em a sample.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                [quote author=mango4 link=1144854878/45#45 date=1165259497]

The whole Morning View album is good. But the whole Make Yourself album is better (by far my favorite). My favorite song on SCIENCE is Anit-Gravity Love Song (probably my favorite Incubus song as well). Have you checked out their new CD yet?
                [/quote]

Yeah I agree that Make Youself is by far their best CD. I listened to one of their new songs off Light Grenades, not to impressed but I kinda figured it was coming because they have gotten away from their sound that made them who they are.

Comment

[quote author=Rabbitlivinginverm link=1144854878/45#49 date=1165338222][quote author=mango4 link=1144854878/45#45 date=1165259497]

The whole Morning View album is good.  But the whole Make Yourself album is better (by far my favorite).  My favorite song on SCIENCE is Anit-Gravity Love Song (probably my favorite Incubus song as well).  Have you checked out their new CD yet?
                  [/quote]

Yeah I agree that Make Youself is by far their best CD. I listened to one of their new songs off Light Grenades, not to impressed but I kinda figured it was coming because they have gotten away from their sound that made them who they are.[/quote]

Agree with both on the "Make Yourself" album. Haven't checked out the new on yet, so can't comment.

"You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell_06

Bright Eyes - reported as today's Bob Dylan, first got his start playing in Omaha
                    Bright Eyes is easily one of my favorite artists. His music is completely different and he his an amazing song writer. Every CD he has out is amazing from start to finish. Some of his music is a little strange but I think a lot of that is due to his drinking problems and drug use. Last year one of my friends saw him play at the high school he graduated from, I guess he played and told stories for about 5 hours.

A similar artist is the late Elliot Smith.

Comment

[quote author=mitchell_06 link=1144854878/0#7 date=1145550048]

Bright Eyes - reported as today's Bob Dylan, first got his start playing in Omaha
                      Bright Eyes is easily one of my favorite artists. His music is completely different and he his an amazing song writer. Every CD he has out is amazing from start to finish. Some of his music is a little strange but I think a lot of that is due to his drinking problems and drug use. Last year one of my friends saw him play at the high school he graduated from, I guess he played and told stories for about 5 hours.

A similar artist is the late Elliot Smith.[/quote]

Awesome. I dig Elliot Smith. The name Bright Eyes rings a bell, but I can't place where. I'll be picking up one of his CDs.

Comment

I love all the CDs I have by Bright eyes as of right now its "I'm wide awake its morning"

Comment

I love all the CDs I have by Bright eyes as of right now its "I'm wide awake its morning"
                          Just "borrowed" that album off the internet. So far I'm digging it. Great suggestion Mango.

Comment

By the way, if you like Bright Eyes, you'll like The Sea and Cake. Try their album "The Biz". Pretty good stuff.

Comment

Just got done listening to the song "King's Crossing" by Elliott Smith. That is a suicide note if I have ever heard it. Some of the lyrics are very haunting like when he sings "I can't prepare for death anymore than I already have." This is such a beautiful song, I really wish that he wouldn't have commited suicide because people that make music like his are very, very rare.

Comment

That guy wasn't joking around, stabbed himself in the heart not once, but twice. I'm sure he was probably messed up enough drugs to not feel much of it though.

Comment

Working...
                                X