Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Argus: To subscribe or not to subscribe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jackdaniel
    replied
    Re: Argus: To subscribe or not to subscribe...

I'll give your suggestions a try ....thanks all

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    Hmm. That's weird. I'm a subscriber and don't encounter that when I'm logged onto the daily paper. You might want to call someone with the paper and check it out. Maybe you need an updated sign-in or password or something.
    Or flush your browser's cache, or delete all of the Argus-related cookies from your browser, then try again. (Assuming you haven't done that already.)

Just a couple of "I don't really know what I'm talking about vis a vis Argus online subscriptions" suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• Jacked_Up
    replied

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    I subscribe, and am happy to support local news/sports/weather, but just have one small criticism, and that's that they don't let you stay logged on when you are a subscriber, they are constantly having you log on and give the ole "you've reached your limit viewing our complimentary free viewing"....blah,blah, however it's worded.Why not let subscribers stay logged on until THEY log off.It's very frustrating that they don't seem to know who their subscribers are even. Web sites like GoJacks, others , don't do this. It seems to me that they wouldn't want to aggravate their subscribers by not letting them remain logged on. I've looked for the place where you can state you wish to remain logged on if that's the reason for this happening, but can't find anything on their web site.
    Hmm. That's weird. I'm a subscriber and don't encounter that when I'm logged onto the daily paper. You might want to call someone with the paper and check it out. Maybe you need an updated sign-in or password or something.

Leave a comment:

• jackdaniel
    replied

I subscribe, and am happy to support local news/sports/weather, but just have one small criticism, and that's that they don't let you stay logged on when you are a subscriber, they are constantly having you log on and give the ole "you've reached your limit viewing our complimentary free viewing"....blah,blah, however it's worded.Why not let subscribers stay logged on until THEY log off.It's very frustrating that they don't seem to know who their subscribers are even. Web sites like GoJacks, others , don't do this. It seems to me that they wouldn't want to aggravate their subscribers by not letting them remain logged on. I've looked for the place where you can state you wish to remain logged on if that's the reason for this happening, but can't find anything on their web site.

Leave a comment:

• OldHare
    replied

It seems a bit nostalgic to think that everyone reads a newspaper. However, I realize that the emergence of social media in all of its forms has taken a big bite of the pay for your news business. I could say you get what you pay for, but that would assume that the print business is without bias as well. It does provide many items which I have appreciated over the years which also include comics, crosswords, obits, and local news which may not arrive on TV or radio. I can understand that many may not take the time to understand what is "happening", but the money that is spent on internet and phones dwarfs the cost of a digital subscription. Jackrabbit sports may be a headline for me when I open the website, but there is more involved in a newspaper of which most is good in the connection for a community or state.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Consistently 9.54 each month to my Capital One credit card. It works and I go through my email to connect with the e edition. I am old and old fashion and still buy print copies. Sometimes they are a little different in details. It works for me.

Leave a comment:

• Jacked_Up
    replied

Click on all the Jackrabbit stories. Click, click, click. It matters.

Leave a comment:

• mitchellrabbit
    replied

Ive been doing the online for about 6 months. I was never going to do it but it seemed when their was an article i really wanted to read, i was out of freebies. I paid 1.03 a month for a few months. Now its 8.35

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

I appreciate the comments. I’m signing up tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Jacked_Up
    replied

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    ..... Cappin noted the $29/year for unlimited online access is a current offer but it will change to $10 a month.
    $29 / year ... I think I'll take that deal. I may try to figure out a way to let the Argus know that a strong reason I'm subscribing is because of the SDSU coverage.
    Good plan. I think SDSU fans make up a strong core of Argus Leader readers, especially sports readers, but they are largely taken for granted because of their silence.

Leave a comment:

• Walrus
    replied

I've had the $10 per month subscription for a few years. I seldom look at anything other than the sports page, mostly Zimmer's stuff. JD is right, the website blows. Pop-ups all over the place and the screen jumps around a lot, but I get the Jacks coverage and the live chat when Matt has time. I also get the e-edition, a digital picture of the print edition. To me it is worth the 10 bucks a month. All of my TV coverage is from Fargo so that is a factor for me also.

Leave a comment:

• slosho
    replied

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
    I subscribe to the Thursday & Sunday form that gives me complete access to the online edition. I seldom look at the hard copy that comes to my house because because I can get the exact image of that on line if I prefer. I use a MacBook Air and have had no problem with the website. The links work the presentation is good. What I like is that I see most of the stories at least 24 hours on line before they appear in print and sometimes several days before.

You are right that the newspaper kind of created its own monster by offering so much free material on line in the early years of digital news that it is had to sell switching to have to pay for what we used to get for free. But in all fairness, how many of us are or were when we were working willing to give away what we work hard to produce? Sure, I in retirement teach a few free courses for seniors, but that is out of enjoyment. Had I given away for free my "intellectual property" when I was an active teacher/researcher, I would be trying to survive as a welfare recipient today rather than enjoying a comfortable retirement. No way should I expect those in the various of aspects of journalism to give away their products just because I am to cheap (or spoiled) to pay for them. At a $ a week for the on-line Thursday +Sunday service, I doubt that you can find a better bargain.

We need to keep a strong free press, and this is my small contribution to that.
    Online only here but Like to support the jacks coverage. it's the only reason I subscribe

Leave a comment:

• Rabbit74
    replied

I subscribe to the Thursday & Sunday form that gives me complete access to the online edition. I seldom look at the hard copy that comes to my house because because I can get the exact image of that on line if I prefer. I use a MacBook Air and have had no problem with the website. The links work the presentation is good. What I like is that I see most of the stories at least 24 hours on line before they appear in print and sometimes several days before.

You are right that the newspaper kind of created its own monster by offering so much free material on line in the early years of digital news that it is had to sell switching to have to pay for what we used to get for free. But in all fairness, how many of us are or were when we were working willing to give away what we work hard to produce? Sure, I in retirement teach a few free courses for seniors, but that is out of enjoyment. Had I given away for free my "intellectual property" when I was an active teacher/researcher, I would be trying to survive as a welfare recipient today rather than enjoying a comfortable retirement. No way should I expect those in the various of aspects of journalism to give away their products just because I am to cheap (or spoiled) to pay for them. At a $ a week for the on-line Thursday +Sunday service, I doubt that you can find a better bargain.

We need to keep a strong free press, and this is my small contribution to that.

Leave a comment:

• Southeast
    replied

I subscribe online. No complaints here.

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

I checked the Argus site for subscription costs:
    -- $29 for one year of unlimited digital access. That's 56 cents a week.
    -- 99 cents a week for Sunday and Thursday print Argus plus unlimited digital access. That's $51.48 per year.
    -- $2.99 a week for Monday through Sunday print plus unlimited digital access. That's $155.48 a year

Cappin noted the $29/year for unlimited online access is a current offer but it will change to $10 a month.

$29 / year ... I think I'll take that deal. I may try to figure out a way to let the Argus know that a strong reason I'm subscribing is because of the SDSU coverage.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X