Frost Arena court........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frost Arena court........

this post may have fit a number of "categories", but, decided to mention it here. just curious if any of you have comments about the Frost Arena court?
    any rumors going around in possible changes?

i know in another post i mentioned how much i LOVED the Summit Tourney court they put in at the Sanford Premiere Center. made the games fabulous to watch on tv and the laptop. loved the "lighter" colored court with the contrasting out-of-bounds, and, how "plain" it was---even with the Summit logo at center court. it's my opinion, but, i just love a plain court---although the center school logo is fine as long as they don't go overboard with the size.

i will say, i am NOT a fan of the checkerboard end zones in Frost-at all. never have been. i also think the center court logo should be downsized. i just admit that some of these courts with all the advertising and huge logos are just very distracting when trying to watch a game.

i would absolutely vote for changes.

Re: Frost Arena court........

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
    this post may have fit a number of "categories", but, decided to mention it here. just curious if any of you have comments about the Frost Arena court?
    any rumors going around in possible changes?

i know in another post i mentioned how much i LOVED the Summit Tourney court they put in at the Sanford Premiere Center. made the games fabulous to watch on tv and the laptop. loved the "lighter" colored court with the contrasting out-of-bounds, and, how "plain" it was---even with the Summit logo at center court. it's my opinion, but, i just love a plain court---although the center school logo is fine as long as they don't go overboard with the size.

i will say, i am NOT a fan of the checkerboard end zones in Frost-at all. never have been. i also think the center court logo should be downsized. i just admit that some of these courts with all the advertising and huge logos are just very distracting when trying to watch a game.

i would absolutely vote for changes.
    The general trend was towards more "plain" courts, although too many places are ruining the effect by slapping big graphics that run the entire length of the court. I hate hate hate that. It's almost impossible to do "tastefully" IMHO although I'm sure lots of pro graphic designers disagree with me. All I know is that Oregon's court gives me a headache every time I look at it, for instance.

I think the humongous center court logo fad has yet to run its full course. I agree it's getting kind of ridiculous, although I did kind of like the SEC championship court's normal-sized center-court-circle SEC logo, surrounded by a translucent, humongous SEC circle logo.

Re: court advertising, I guess if the school earns enough money, I can put up with the ugly and clutter. Don't have to like it I guess.

I personally really like the checkerboard, at end line and in the end zones of the football field. It's a branding thing. (I'm married to a Lady Vol so I may have a subconscious bias towards checkerboards, though).
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Agree on the plain courts look better on tv. I perfer them in general. Hate huge center court logos. I liked frost when it was just a little bigger then center court circle. Oregons court looks like they spilled something on it and can't figure out how to clean it.

But then again I like traditional uniforms for both sports too. Dukes new uniforms this year where it doesn't have the blue blocked letters and the blue side doesn't look good at all. Hope they wise up and go back to its usual look. Seems I am in the minority when it comes to outlandish and crazy football unis.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        I personally really like the checkerboard, at end line and in the end zones of the football field. It's a branding thing. (I'm married to a Lady Vol so I may have a subconscious bias towards checkerboards, though).
        The endzones in the SJAC are also the checkerboard "brand". When I see yellow and blue checkerboard, I think SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          The endzones in the SJAC are also the checkerboard "brand". When I see yellow and blue checkerboard, I think SDSU.
          +1 The checkerboard will never be removed,at least not on my watch.

Comment

How long have we had the checker board style?
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
              +1 The checkerboard will never be removed,at least not on my watch.
              Why not get rid of these and trash our tradition? we are getting turf after all.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                Why not get rid of these and trash our tradition? we are getting turf after all.
                Those two things aren't even remotely similar...

Comment

I'm sure others will disagree, but I would love to see the running jackrabbit logo replace the flying SD at halfcourt in Frost.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    I'm sure others will disagree, but I would love to see the running jackrabbit logo replace the flying SD at halfcourt in Frost.
                    I'd be one to disagree. I hate the running rabbit logo. I like the SD logo the best of any we use. We all have different tastes on those things, I'd wager.
                    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                      I'd be one to disagree. I hate the running rabbit logo. I like the SD logo the best of any we use. We all have different tastes on those things, I'd wager.
                      I don't have a strong preference for either (although I do lean towards the rabbit), but from a branding standpoint I think the running rabbit would be much more recognizable than the flying SD to TV audiences. Another thing I think would be kind of cool would be the state of SD with a basketball hoop like the team wore in warmups this year. As I said before, others can certainly disagree.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

The flying SD looks nice on a dress shirt and it is OK at center court.... The running rabbit with Jackrabbits under the feet has a proprietary look which is more unique. I would send a vote to the change.
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

As long as they don't make it the size of the kansas logo.

Comment

The checkerboard can be removed in all facilities. It's a dated look in my opinion. We are school that needs to be more trendy and edgy. I believe that is one thing that helps impress recruits. Whatever it takes to tip the recruiting scale in SDSU's favor.
                            We...ARE...STATE!
                            SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

I always kind of liked the court before the D-1 transition and the checkerboard started. Would have to google to probably find picks of it, but from what i recall it looked pretty nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X