Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mini-survey. Should these coaches ever be allowed to coach again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini-survey. Should these coaches ever be allowed to coach again?

http://deadspin.com/girls-hs-basketb...ium=socialflow

Re: Mini-survey. Should these coaches ever be allowed to coach again?

Both coaches should be fired immediately. I doubt they would get hired anywhere else after a debacle like that. I think the bigger issue is the tournament structure. I'm not exactly sure how it is set up, but there shouldn't be an opportunity for losing on purpose and still getting to the state tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      Both coaches should be fired immediately. I doubt they would get hired anywhere else after a debacle like that. I think the bigger issue is the tournament structure. I'm not exactly sure how it is set up, but there shouldn't be an opportunity for losing on purpose and still getting to the state tournament.
      Excellent point. I once saw something different but posing a dilemma and a teaching moment for a coach. A Little League coach of an All Star team from a league that was perenially better than anyone else was killing the weakest team in the league going into the last half inning of an official game.Problem was the winning team hadn't gotten all players in, as required, because the coach wasn't paying attention. So he had his pitchers intentionally walk batters until the opposing team scored enough runs to keep the game going another inning so he could get his subs in.
      Now, the coach of the team being walked had a dilemma. He COULD HAVE told his kids to swing at balls out of the strike zone, in order to make three outs before his team got within the 10 runs. That, technically, would have made his team the winner because the other team would not have gotten all its players in in a legal game. Instead, he took the tactic that we are going to compete the right way and if they want to walk us and give us runs because of their mistakes we'll take the runs and then our kids might keep it going with hits and score enough to win the game. Obviously that didn't happen, but I admired the losing coach more than the winning coach.

Comment

That is inspiring. I wish more coaches would keep winning in perspective when compared to the real purpose behind coaching.

Comment

If I understand the reasoning for playing to lose was to avoid head to head competition with a powerful team, its not right for any one in involved. Maybe we can avoid going to Fargo in football by losing the last three games and staying home. It does not make any sense. Why fear competition. These coaches do not deserve to coach again or what was going on in their peanut shell heads? Coach Dale would have played to win.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 02-25-2015, 09:16 AM.

Comment

This is different than professional teams tanking to get better (as I have heard some opine on the radio and news this morning).

This was just to affect seeding in a tournament, and they would eventually have to play this team anyway, and this is High School...there's no benefit in the future, down the road.

I agree that both coaches should lose their jobs.

Comment

No Herm Edwards yet? YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                No Herm Edwards yet? YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.
                LOL reps

Comment

Both of these coaches displayed bad judgment in an attempt to tank this game but should they be fired?
                  its my belief that history should play a part in this decision. If this is the first time either coach displayed poor judgment, then no. But if there is history this is likely to be one big straw that breaks the camel's back.
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

Then you have the other extreme, already been debated, the coach who's ahead 100-0 still instructing his players to play all out and don't give an inch. Life's got it's stupid side, that's all I can say.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                      Then you have the other extreme, already been debated, the coach who's ahead 100-0 still instructing his players to play all out and don't give an inch. Life's got it's stupid side, that's all I can say.
                      Life's got it's stupid side - nice encapsulation! You should trademark that!

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                        Life's got it's stupid side - nice encapsulation! You should trademark that!
                        Is that like forrest gump. Stupid is as stupid does.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

How about a Mirror-Universe Jim Mora...

"PLAYOFFS??? What do you mean Playoffs? We're trying to lose a game!"
                          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                          X