Clear All

• Hort's

If you're old enough to remember it are you:
    a.- Lucky to have known it
    b.- Lucky to have survived it
    c.- Lucky to have not spent too much time there
    d.- All of the Above

Re: Hort's

This was a place I walked by to going to school starting in March 1953. Never bowled in there until the fall of 1961, when I took bowling for a PE course. Dick Graff, bowling manager was the instructor, and there was no smoking, drinking cokes or anything of a social nature as this was an academic course which followed the same rules classes on campus. Dick closed up the Sports Center which included bowling, a lunch counter and sporting goods store, and moved out to Prairie Lanes on Western Ave, that fall. About the beginning of 1962, the Sports Center was converted into Hort's. I think Larry Swain and Graff and others started Horts. Where the bar part was located was previously a lunch counter during the day and served the bowlers in the evening when bowling leagues occurred. The lunch counter served great french fries, btw. In the west part of this building was a sporting good store that was owned and operated by a football legend at SDSU in 1930's by the name of Al Arndt. Arndt closed his shop and move over on Main st. I believe and then the whole place became Horts. I drank plenty at that place and noted was still going strong in 1966 when came home on leave. I went overseas for 3.5 years and it was still going strong in 1969, when I came back from military service. I dont know exactly when it was moved to the Spies food store location south of this current picture, but it did move. Others can no doubt fill in the details of when that occurred. The old Horts was demolished and this area became a parking lot for First Bank and Trust. I do not believe Horace Fishback the banker appreciated all the vomit and empty beer bottles and what not next door so I tend to believe he used his financial power to buy the property and that might explain why Horts moved south from the original location. I just guessing here.

I guess I would have to answer "d" to NoVaJack's question. I tended to hang out at Jims Tap that had a real Jim in charge and Donny was just a student, and all the townies drunks hung out there. Also, he sold merchandise such as overalls, farmer caps and hats. The former owner Art Fricke, Arts Bar catered to the farm trade and he left the stuff there when Jim bought him out some time in the 1950's. In 1969, I came back to a refrubished Jims Tap, and Jim had passed on to the big Bar in The Sky. Changes and more changes. No doubt about Hort's was by and for the students. Drinking did not offer the same options that there are on Main St today.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 04-05-2013, 09:53 PM. Reason: I never was a big fan of Hort's

Comment

Alright Nova, what spurs this trip down memory lane?

I'm an 80's baby. So this place pre-dates me. What is currently in its place?
      Last edited by RowdyRabbit; 04-06-2013, 07:53 AM. Reason: grammage.
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
        Alright Nova, what spurs this trip down memory lane?

I'm an 80's baby. So this place pre-dates me. What is currently is it's place?
        That location pictured is now parking for the Old Market Restaurant that now occupies the former First Bank and Trust Bank.

Comment

Even though statutes of limitations offer some security, I'm reluctant to admit much.

I think I was a year ahead of NoVaJack so similar vintage. Apologies to Dickens but 1972 was the best of times and the worst of times. On July 1, 1972, the law changed and the drinking age for 3.2 beer was reduced from 19 to 18. I had graduated from high school in 1972 and was 18.

The original Horts was a great place...great bands; lots of people; cold beer every night; buck pitchers on Tuesdays and Thursdays; two for fifty-cents Buckhorn in a long-neck bottle on many nights; and back then it was perfectly acceptable to declare one was going to Horts because there were a lot of women.

For me, the secret I discovered was study hard until about 10:15 then get to Horts by 10:30-- still lots of time left in the day and I usually had my homework done! Many had a different view: Horts by 7:30, screw studying.

I think it was in 1976, could have been fall of 75, Horts moved to the old Gambles building (later NAPA Auto Parts) about two blocks south. Still fun but just not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            Many had a different view: Horts by 7:30, screw studying.
            These are the ones who do not practice law but have to consult the law for their own protection of their personal freedom. Not the smart people by any means. You seem to have done it right.

Comment

You had referred to Larry Swain's involvement in the business. Larry is currently working with students in the Entrepreneur Course at SDSU. He started this course several years ago. He may be winding down to retire from that part of career soon. It is interesting to hear that some of you remember his business beginnings.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I was in a band (Sound of Six) that played there many times in 66-67. I nominated them this year for the SD Rock Hall of Fame (sure others did as well), and I'm happy to see that Hort's is being inducted next week.

Comment

My HS aged brother was a member of the hometown Hort's "house band" (the Ride) in the late 60's/early 70's, so he spent considerable time there. I was a bit younger, and the running joke was the great Joni Mitchell hit "they tore down paradise and put up a parking lot". The Gambles location Horts was the moving hot spot for my college years. Loved the 99 cent pitchers til 9 PM, and savored the 2nd pitcher the rest of the night.

Comment

Stupid question, but I've only driven through Brookings three times in the last 46 years.

Are there live music venues in Brookings? I know raising the drinking age made a big difference, but enrollment is three times higher than when I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                      Stupid question, but I've only driven through Brookings three times in the last 46 years.

Are there live music venues in Brookings? I know raising the drinking age made a big difference, but enrollment is three times higher than when I was there.
                      The plaza to the the south of Nick's has live music (local bands) in the summer time on thursday nights, though I'm not sure that is what you are referring to. The swiftel center has had some big artists over the years. (Rob Zombie, Project 86, John Tesh, among others.)

The Performing Arts center on campus also has hosted some classical and instrumental concerts.
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post

I have been very few bars since 1973, so dont think a Hort's like atomsphere is available in Brookings, but some of the young guys can correct me here. The creativity of starting a new band does not seem to be the thing to do now days. Again I could be dead wrong.

Comment

Two of this year's HOF inductees, including the Velaire's Bob Dawdy, one of my favorite guitarists, have died since the start of the year. The music and the musicians are getting old. Who would have guessed that in the summer of love?

Comment

Working...
                          X