Size discrimination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size discrimination?

Funny story out of Iowa City about a gal who described herself as "Plus Sized" trying to assert The Union Bar "discriminated" against her -- on the basis of size -- because its bouncers wouldn't allow her to mount a platform and dance. The Iowa Human Rights Commission (correctly) told her discrimination on the basis of size was not illegal.

Re: Size discrimination?

Story link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1464666.html

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      This is really dumb. I get it, but bars are also trying to make money while protecting their image. She's acting as if people won't go to that bar anymore because of it. Young guys will be MORE likely to go now. I know I sound like an a-hole, but it's the truth. Guys go to bars to pick up beautiful girls.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

If everyone gets their 15-minutes of fame, she didn't pick her time very well.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          This is really dumb. I get it, but bars are also trying to make money while protecting their image. She's acting as if people won't go to that bar anymore because of it. Young guys will be MORE likely to go now. I know I sound like an a-hole, but it's the truth. Guys go to bars to pick up beautiful girls.
          Defining beautiful is kind of difficult. It seems when you are young, its facial and body beautiful, but 3 kids down the road, you find out there is not much between the ears or there is too much between the ears, that the now not so beautiful girl wants out of the relationship. Now thats the beautiful part that these young guys forgot to look at and they are soon back at the bar again willing to make the same mistake over again.

BTW, this seems to be an interesting legal issue. Good luck to Jordon. I can sympathize with her plus size. I had some of that size around the middle during my college days, thanks to daily trips to Jims Tap. There really was a Jim in those days, who liked to spin your change on the bar counter as you ordered another tap. I digress.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
            Guys could try to pick her up but they would probably hurt their back...

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Defining beautiful is kind of difficult. It seems when you are young, its facial and body beautiful, but 3 kids down the road, you find out there is too much between the ears....
              Does that apply to men as well? If so, I resemble that remark. Just ask my wife, she knows I think so.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

"Nevertheless, Ramos is planning a rally in front Union Bar on May 4, where she says she hopes to ensure the bar not only makes a formal commitment to prohibit any form of discrimination in the future, but issues an apology to anyone who's received sub-par treatment in the past, the Daily Iowan reports."

Good news! Nothing but hot women inside and all the fatty's holding signs outside. Better get some extra staff. (So, I'm a jerk. Looks like you can't sue me over it)
                With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Better hope there isn't a stampede.

Comment

Nidaros: In my opinion, there's no legal issue. The Iowa Human Rights Commission's determination was correct. The word "discrimination", like so many words, has been so twisted and abused that one has to wonder if it should be discarded. There was a time when it was a compliment to say a person had "discriminating tastes" in, for example, food, beverage, clothing, who they hung out with. By statute, we have made certain kinds of discrimination sanctionable. But, not all discrimination is proscribed. If one wants to use the words discrimination in the case of the Iowa table-dancer, the story provides an example of discriminatory behavior that is not sanctioned by the law.

I think the young lady is confused about nothing more than inconsiderate behavior. The law recognizes people have to put up with inconsiderate behavior.

Yes, thee catrabbit, you're on solid ground so far.

Comment

Nidaros: In my opinion, there's no legal issue. The Iowa Human Rights Commission's determination was correct. The word "discrimination", like so many words, has been so twisted and abused that one has to wonder if it should be discarded. There was a time when it was a compliment to say a person had "discriminating tastes" in, for example, food, beverage, clothing, who they hung out with. By statute, we have made certain kinds of discrimination sanctionable. But, not all discrimination is proscribed. If one wants to use the words discrimination in the case of the Iowa table-dancer, the story provides an example of discriminatory behavior that is not sanctioned by the law.

I think the young lady is confused about nothing more than inconsiderate behavior. The law recognizes people have to put up with inconsiderate behavior.

Better hope she is too! Ha!

Comment

Question for the attorney. If I'm barging through a crowd trying to escape from a Disney World park and I step on some princesses hand, I am clearly being inconsiderate. That said, can I be sued for pain inflicted by my inconsiderate behavior? Keep in mind, this is a walk way where people have chosen to sit in order to view a parade not a designated seating area. She was not a fat princess either, in fact, quite attractive despite her anger.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          Question for the attorney. If I'm barging through a crowd trying to escape from a Disney World park and I step on some princesses hand, I am clearly being inconsiderate. That said, can I be sued for pain inflicted by my inconsiderate behavior? Keep in mind, this is a walk way where people have chosen to sit in order to view a parade not a designated seating area. She was not a fat princess either, in fact, quite attractive despite her anger.
                          I am no lawyer, but I think you at least owe her dinner and drinks.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                              I am no lawyer, but I think you at least owe her dinner and drinks.
                              2 of my kids and my wife stepped on her hand as well. She was not happy but could not abandon her young children to chase us down.

Comment

Working...
                              X