Making wine at home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making wine at home?

We have a great thread going on making beer. I would like to try making wine. Is there anyone on-board who makes wine at home? I'm looking for advice, first of all, what I need to purchase to get started.
    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Re: Making wine at home?

I stick to beer. I have a buddy though that makes wine at home. Send me a PM with your contact info and I can get you in touch with him.
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

All I know is apparently rubarb can make a nice wine also. Not just pie. I've had home made similar to prarie berrys red ass rubarb.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

West-River:

Your post made me chuckle. My buddies and I were making wine as Juniors in high school (we'd tell our parents it was a science project). It was really hit-or-miss. Most was barely drinkable (and I have to admit Boone's Farm at $1.15 a bottle was hard to beat if you felt like drinking wine on a Friday night in those days).

In my view, it is much more difficult to create a decent bottle of wine than it is to create a decent bottle of beer. Now, that having been said, there's a growing number of businesses (in Watertown, it is "Watertown Confectionary"), where you can buy the wine-making supplies, use their equipment, take a couple of classes, and in something like a couple of months, you're bottling wine that isn't too bad. It's become a popular pasttime -- a group of friends will take the "classes" at the same time and they have some fun. I've sampled the end result and it is very drinkable...they may not win awards in California but I was surprised at what was produced. I wonder if Rapid City has a store that may be doing that. It's an easy way to learn some basics about wine-making.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          West-River:

Your post made me chuckle. My buddies and I were making wine as Juniors in high school (we'd tell our parents it was a science project). It was really hit-or-miss. Most was barely drinkable (and I have to admit Boone's Farm at $1.15 a bottle was hard to beat if you felt like drinking wine on a Friday night in those days).

In my view, it is much more difficult to create a decent bottle of wine than it is to create a decent bottle of beer. Now, that having been said, there's a growing number of businesses (we have one in Watertown), where you can buy the wine-making supplies, use their equipment, take a couple of classes, and in something like a couple of months, you're bottling wine that isn't too bad. It's become a popular pasttime -- a group of friends will take the "classes" at the same time and they have some fun. I've sampled the end result and it is very drinkable...they may not win awards in California but I was surprised at what was produced. I wonder if Rapid City has a store that may be doing that. It's an easy way to learn some basics about wine-making.
          My mom did this in Watertown as well, and I must say it was some pretty good wine. I suggest it for anybody and I might join my mom sometime. It's not too difficult and the wine tastes pretty good.
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

well the first thing you need is bottles, hic

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
              well the first thing you need is bottles, hic

Or in my case, I prefer a box of wine. I cant stand any of the homemade/winery wines. I gag when i drink them. I'll stick to my box of of Almaden Cabernet or Merlot. A couple glasses with dinner and you sleep like a baby.

Comment

West-River:

In my view, it is much more difficult to create a decent bottle of wine than it is to create a decent bottle of beer. Now, that having been said, there's a growing number of businesses (in Watertown, it is "Watertown Confectionary"), where you can buy the wine-making supplies, use their equipment, take a couple of classes, and in something like a couple of months, you're bottling wine that isn't too bad. It's become a popular pasttime -- a group of friends will take the "classes" at the same time and they have some fun. I've sampled the end result and it is very drinkable...they may not win awards in California but I was surprised at what was produced. I wonder if Rapid City has a store that may be doing that. It's an easy way to learn some basics about wine-making.
                I could never get my hands on equipment, but I did try putting a package of yeast in a quart bottle of grape juice. Like yours, it tasted horrible. Thats the extent of my wine-making days.

Comment

West-River:

A few wine and cupcake bars are popping up. There is one in Spearfish that is a very delightful place to go for dessert. They have several wonderful cupcakes and suggest a wine pairing with each. I think that I had a lemon cupcake with a very nice muscato that went well with it. I might suggest a Twinkie to pair with your Boone's Farm.
                  Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

JackJD - I come from the same vintage as you and while Boone's Farm was OK, it was hard to top the cost/benefit of Anne Green Springs, especially if purchased by the case.

With regards to making your own wine, the best advice is to avoid sour grapes.
                    USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post

With regards to making your own wine, the best advice is to avoid sour grapes.
                      . That makes sense, in my case the grape juice was already made, I think it was Welch's and it might have had preservatives in it which made it taste just horrible after adding the yeast two weeks earlier. I guess Welch's do not appreciate you messing with their product other than consuming it.

Comment

Working...
                      X