ESPN Documentary "Catching Hell"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Documentary "Catching Hell"

The ESPN documentary "Catching Hell" premieres tonight. It's based on the most famous foul ball ever about Steve Bartman and the people around him. I think these 30 for 30 shows are Bill Simmons' best work. I love watching these episodes and this should be one of the best. I'm really looking forward to watching it.

Here's an article on Pat Looney, the guy that was right next to Bartman. It's a great read: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etick...0927/PatLooney
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Re: ESPN Documentary "Catching Hell"

It's complete BS that Bartman has caught this much hell over that foul ball. The players on the field blew it, and that foul ball had nothing to do with it. I really doubt Alou would have caught the ball anyway.

Just caught part of an "Outside the Lines" episode on this while I was home at lunch. They interviewed a guy who admitted he came down and challenged Bartman to a fight after he hit the foul ball. The guy acted like he was proud of himself for doing that. IMO, that guy isn't worth a pinch of s#*t. The fact that adults act in this manner because of a game is unreal. Seeing Bartman sitting there like he was makes me feel for him. I and probably everyone else on the planet would have done the same thing.

At the end of the day it's a game and we should enjoy it for entertainment only, nothing more nothing less.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      It's complete BS that Bartman has caught this much hell over that foul ball. The players on the field blew it, and that foul ball had nothing to do with it. I really doubt Alou would have caught the ball anyway.

Just caught part of an "Outside the Lines" episode on this while I was home at lunch. They interviewed a guy who admitted he came down and challenged Bartman to a fight after he hit the foul ball. The guy acted like he was proud of himself for doing that. IMO, that guy isn't worth a pinch of s#*t. The fact that adults act in this manner because of a game is unreal. Seeing Bartman sitting there like he was makes me feel for him. I and probably everyone else on the planet would have done the same thing.

At the end of the day it's a game and we should enjoy it for entertainment only, nothing more nothing less.
      I saw this too! I could not believe that guy was sitting their getting interviewed and he was happy for what he did (For those that don't know, he asked Bartman to go outside so he could essentially kick the crap out of him). He was a complete embarrassment to himself and had no idea he was doing it. He also mentioned he had been kicked out of games "a couple times before". Moron.

Edit: After watching, his name was Jim Cuthbert
      Last edited by SDSUAlum08; 09-27-2011, 07:11 PM.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Great documentary. I am huge Cubs fan and I remember that night like it happened yesterday. I was living in Milwaukee. Watched the game that night and it might sound silly now but for the next couple of weeks following that series I wasn't able to think about anything but that 8th innning. I was a little angry with the fan (Bartman) at the time but I was more angry with the botched infield hit to Gonzalez that would have ended the inning.

I always think to myself, "Would I have gone for the foul ball?" I believe I would have. Now if I ever were to sit in the 1st row of a Cubs playoff game, I hope I would pull back if there were ever a foul ball that came toward me with the Cubs out in the field.

Comment

Cubs fans should be embarressed at how they acted that evening. Maybe the fans should blame Gonzalez for dropping that tailor made double play ball......woulda gotten them out of the inning. Or all the pitchers who kept serving up meat. Blaming a fan and threathening to kill him for something 99.9% of fans would have done is unreal.

After watching that I hope the Cubs never win a world series.

Judging from their history we likely won't have to worry about it happening anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
            I saw this too! I could not believe that guy was sitting their getting interviewed and he was happy for what he did (For those that don't know, he asked Bartman to go outside so he could essentially kick the crap out of him). He was a complete embarrassment to himself and had no idea he was doing it. He also mentioned he had been kicked out of games "a couple times before". Moron.

Was that interview recent? What an ass, especially in light of the Giants fan that got beat almost to death hardly six months ago outside Dodger Stadium.

He finally spoke the other day, btw.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati..._asks_to_.html
            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I think what Colin Cowherd said today was pretty accurate. Yes this portrayed Chicago Cubs fans to be a completely awful fan base. However, if this happened in Boston, New York, Philly, Baltimore, etc. the fan bases likely would have acted the same way. It just happened to be Chicago. The way Fox kept showing him, thus pointing blame at him, and then the media attention he received, it made him the new goat and not Gonzalez.

I was surprised he still lives in the Chicago area. I thought I had heard he had to move, but apparently not. That's love for a city and team. I'm blown away he hasn't said a word about it to the media in 8 years. Six figure deals to talk would be hard to pass up.

Comment

Add D with E to the end of that name.
                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                  Add D with E to the end of that name.
                  Not sure what you mean. Here's an article about the interview on ESPN: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...m-jim-cuthbert

Comment

Dick with ears.
                    Last edited by Prairiehaas; 09-28-2011, 08:54 PM. Reason: ***** with auricles wouldn't post properly
                    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                      ***** with auricles?
                      Haha...sorry I caught it afterwards and deleted it.

Comment

As a cards fan you always feel good about the cubs misery. Really feel bad for bartman.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Not sure what you mean. Here's an article about the interview on ESPN: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...m-jim-cuthbert
                          I liked this: "As stunned silence turned to rage in the stands at Wrigley Field, sitting 15 rows behind Bartman was Jim Cuthbert, who is essentially the grown up version of the psychotic big brother Chet from Weird Science." Good description. If my memory is accurate (haven't seen Weird Science for a long time), Chet was turned into a big pile of *&#$.

Comment

The reaction of the Cub fans would have been similar in any major league ballpark in America, except Philly, Boston, or New York where they probably would have beat him up. Also everyone of us, would have gone after that ball too, it was, after all, in the seats. We all have the benefit of hindsight giving us the false impression that we would not have done that. Any time I go to a MLB game I hope for a foul ball or home run ball and this was a playoff game.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
                              The reaction of the Cub fans would have been similar in any major league ballpark in America, except Philly, Boston, or New York where they probably would have beat him up. Also everyone of us, would have gone after that ball too, it was, after all, in the seats. We all have the benefit of hindsight giving us the false impression that we would not have done that. Any time I go to a MLB game I hope for a foul ball or home run ball and this was a playoff game.
                              But those teams probably would not have colapsed like the cubs did. Its like cub fans love being in misery and will do what ever it takes to be sad bitter fans.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                              X