Go See Moneyball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go See Moneyball

Saw it this afternoon. Even if you don't like baseball or Brad Pitt, it's a hell of a movie.

Re: Go See Moneyball

I second that motion!

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      Saw it this afternoon. Even if you don't like baseball or Brad Pitt, it's a hell of a movie.
      This is the one movie I've been looking forward to. A lot of the stuff out there is crap but this movie looks excellent.

Comment

Ugh. I don't want to see it. The book is amazing and I know that I will be disappointed by the movie.

The thread should be: Go Read Moneyball. If you haven't, you really should. Hell if you're in Brookings, PM me and you can borrow my copy.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
          Ugh. I don't want to see it. The book is amazing and I know that I will be disappointed by the movie.

The thread should be: Go Read Moneyball. If you haven't, you really should. Hell if you're in Brookings, PM me and you can borrow my copy.
          That's also on my to do list. I have no idea why I haven't read it yet, I'll probably pick it up at the library in the morning

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
            That's also on my to do list. I have no idea why I haven't read it yet, I'll probably pick it up at the library in the morning
            If you're a baseball fan and enjoy the numbers side of it, you'll enjoy it. Beane comes off as more an asshole than the Brad Pitt portrayal (from what I've heard). But Michael Lewis did a great job with the story. It changed the entire way I watched baseball.

Comment

If you're a baseball fan and enjoy the numbers side of it, you'll enjoy it. Beane comes off as more an asshole than the Brad Pitt portrayal (from what I've heard). But Michael Lewis did a great job with the story. It changed the entire way I watched baseball.
              I saw the movie and I'm currently reading the book. I loved the movie and I LOVE the book. It's fantastic. I would agree that Beane comes off as more of an asshole in the book than he does in the movie but I think that has a lot too with how in-depth the book is compared to the movie and the fact that the movie is trying to make the A's into the loveable underdogs.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                I saw the movie and I'm currently reading the book. I loved the movie and I LOVE the book. It's fantastic. I would agree that Beane comes off as more of an asshole in the book than he does in the movie but I think that has a lot too with how in-depth the book is compared to the movie and the fact that the movie is trying to make the A's into the loveable underdogs.
                It's pretty interesting to read it so long after it happened because a lot of players that Beane targeted didn't pan out and a lot of people he avoided turned into studs. But there's no denying that he helped changed how baseball teams were put together. One big mistake that people tend to make is assuming that the Moneyball philosophy is all about OBP when it was really all about finding market inefficiencies. Glad you're enjoying it!

Comment

It's pretty interesting to read it so long after it happened because a lot of players that Beane targeted didn't pan out and a lot of people he avoided turned into studs. But there's no denying that he helped changed how baseball teams were put together. One big mistake that people tend to make is assuming that the Moneyball philosophy is all about OBP when it was really all about finding market inefficiencies. Glad you're enjoying it!
                  The players that didn't pan out was one of the first things I noticed right away. I was kind of shocked he took some guys I've never even heard of. One of the most glaring mistakes in the movie was that Beane wasn't using the whole process to find players until 2002 when in reality he had been using it for a few years. The movie made it sound like it was a whole foreign concept to him.

Comment

didn't know where else to put this, but i watched a movie from netflix last night called the mighty macs, about a womens college baketball team that won the 1972 ncaa championships. in there playoff run, they played the lady jacks which they showed, it wasn't long but thought that was pretty cool, and thought jack nation might want to know. not a great movie but it was worth watching.

Comment

Originally posted by musclehead View Post
                      didn't know where else to put this, but i watched a movie from netflix last night called the mighty macs, about a womens college baketball team that won the 1972 ncaa championships. in there playoff run, they played the lady jacks which they showed, it wasn't long but thought that was pretty cool, and thought jack nation might want to know. not a great movie but it was worth watching.
                      South Dakota State played Immaculata in the first round and lost 60-47 in the consolation bracket the Jacks were then destroyed by S Connecticut St. 72-34

Comment

Did the Jacks play in the NCAA then, or were they in the AIAW? I don't think the NCAA sponsored women's athletics until 1980 and 1981.
                        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                        X