Ground Round to replace Pavillion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground Round to replace Pavillion

I use to love the Ground Round in Sioux Falls. Not as good the last few years and now closed. Interesting addition to the food/bar scene.

http://www.brookingsregister.com/v2_...story_id=11835

• Restaurant franchise to replace Pavillion Bar and Grill, opening in late August after renovations

Just in time for the return of students at South Dakota State University, there’s a new Ground Round restaurant coming to town.

The new restaurant is replacing the Pavilion Bar and Grill on the Days Inn hotel property, 2500 E. Sixth St. in Brookings.

The Pavilion Bar & Grill will close for final renovations in early August. While closed, the new restaurant’s team plans to hire and train approximately 75 employees and open for business later in August, just as the SDSU campus is beginning its fall semester.

The new restaurant will be managed by Darren Wherley. He brings more than eight years of industry experience to the position and lives in Brookings. He joined Lance Park’s company in 2008.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Ground Round to replace Pavillion

That's too bad, I liked the Pavillion the few times I ate there.

Comment

Pavillion tended to be up and down in both food and service. Sometimes very good, sometimes not. Hopefully the change will bring some consistancy, to the better. It would be nice to have an option to Applebees for sit down near the east side industrial parks in Brookings.
      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
        Pavillion tended to be up and down in both food and service. Sometimes very good, sometimes not. Hopefully the change will bring some consistancy, to the better. It would be nice to have an option to Applebees for sit down near the east side industrial parks in Brookings.
        Tried the Pavillion twice the last 2 years and it was poor at best, horrible at worst. I welcome the change.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

On the franchise topic the Whiskey Creek franchise applied for a liquor license yesterday. Should be in the Brookings Register today. They would build on the north side of 6th street by the turn to the Swiftel Center near Applebees. They also have a location in Mitchell. Hopefully the city can be creative with getting new liquor licenses out because there are a few places in town that would like one.

Comment

Also on the topic of franchises, a liquor license was submitted this morning by Buffalo Wild Wings to build in the Village Square area by campus.

Comment

Originally posted by el_presidente View Post
              Also on the topic of franchises, a liquor license was submitted this morning by Buffalo Wild Wings to build in the Village Square area by campus.
              I'm curious but according to the BWW website, in order to start a franchise somewhere the population of the trade area has to be 40,000. Would the trade area of Brookings include Sioux Falls and/or Watertown?

Comment

It depends on the business. Since there is a BWW in Sioux Falls and one building in Watertown that wouldn't be included. However, Huron and Marshall Minnesota often are included. The Brookings market looks kind of like a football going more east and west then north and south. Either way, the franchise has been approved by corporate for Brookings. It is mostly pending approval of a liquor license.

Comment

Hopefully they can benefit from one of the positives of franchises, ultimately improving the quality of the Pavillion (Ground Round). I believe that Lance had grand visions when he bought the hotel and restaurant back in 1997 or so. He did a very nice job of renovating the restaurant into the Pavillion, but unfortunately he didn't experience long term success and he was unable to keep it up. I don't know a lot about Ground Round franchise, but hopefully they provide some good marketing, a good business model and high standards. Brookings would benefit from a good solid full service hotel - it's tough to balance both if you're not committed to one or the other. I hope this gives him the ability to "catch the hotel up with the 21st century".

Comment

I mentioned this on another thread in the Around SD section: The Brookings city council set the restaurant-only license rate at $100K (which could STILL be challenged as still being TOO LOW) last night. In addition, several city councilors want to discuss raising the price of the city's last liquor license (two were given a few weeks back) from $25K to possibly $100K. Needless to say, I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing Buffalo Wild Wings, Whiskey Creek, or any other national sit-down restaurant in Brookings anytime in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post
                      I mentioned this on another thread in the Around SD section: The Brookings city council set the restaurant-only license rate at $100K (which could STILL be challenged as still being TOO LOW) last night. In addition, several city councilors want to discuss raising the price of the city's last liquor license (two were given a few weeks back) from $25K to possibly $100K. Needless to say, I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing Buffalo Wild Wings, Whiskey Creek, or any other national sit-down restaurant in Brookings anytime in the near future.
                      The Ground Round will already have a lic. the one that belonged to the Pavillion. Besides $100,000 shouldn't scare away anyone, the lack of the ability to sell liquor would.

Comment

True. last I heard a new license in SF was about $150k
                        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

pavillions monday progressive taps for monday night football was awesome. only 8 ounce cups but .25 cents for the 1st qtr, .50 cents for the second, and 1$ for the second half. just go with friends to start the game and order like 50 to start the night. Missed a lot of tuesday classes because of that deal.

I agree one year the food and service was great, others it was lacking to say the least.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                          X