Coaches ousted at Dilworth Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaches ousted at Dilworth Minnesota

I find this article to be very bizarre. How can one parent and their complaint carry so much weight? Reading this article two head coaches were not exactly whizzing the hometown with victories, but they appear to be decent people doing what they think is right in coaching young people. Dilworth is the next town down the road from Moorhead.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/319576/

Re: Coaches ousted at Dilworth Minnesota

I have a hunch that there might be some turnover on that school board in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      I find this article to be very bizarre. How can one parent and their complaint carry so much weight? Reading this article two head coaches were not exactly whizzing the hometown with victories, but they appear to be decent people doing what they think is right in coaching young people. Dilworth is the next town down the road from Moorhead.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/319576/

That's a very weird situation and it really makes you wonder what's going on. I was apart of a situation where a teacher from my hometown was asked to resign because of some terrible issues going on possibly with a younger student. Kids walked out of the school and many people in the community were upset, but it was the right decision. I only know this because my parents were teachers at the time. Lots of things go on behind the scenes in schools. I have no knowledge of this thing in Dilworth but it seems like more is going on if the school board votes 6-1 in front of an entire crowd. For the coach's sake, I hope nothing is.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I know of a recent school board meeting that involved a lengthy discussion of coaches, even though the school had their most successful season in many years. But it was one parent driving the topic. It was the same night that the board was taking public input on budget cuts due to the cutting of state aid. Amazing what some people's priorities are.

Comment

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I've never understood school board members caving to demands of one or two. It's not like their making a living from their school board salaries.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
            Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I've never understood school board members caving to demands of one or two. It's not like their making a living from their school board salaries.
            I agree. It seems wierd that one person has brought these two coaches down, or is there more to it? We seem to have found a way to hide behind privacy polices. Sometimes I think we are choking ourselves on privacy. I think these two coaches need to hire a good lawyer, especially if they have not done anything wrong.

Comment

I agree. It seems wierd that one person has brought these two coaches down, or is there more to it? We seem to have found a way to hide behind privacy polices. Sometimes I think we are choking ourselves on privacy. I think these two coaches need to hire a good lawyer, especially if they have not done anything wrong.
              Part of me thinks: This is small town Minnesota, so I have to think that if there is something more to this situation it would be known to the public, at least in whispers. You just can't hide much in small towns. And if the players & public supported the coach as strongly as they did, I have to think that this is a sad case of a coach being bamboozled by one parent. Another part of me thinks: Like Nidaros said, we do hide behind privacy policies, so who knows?

One thing I do know is that high school coaches are on an island for the most part. They are not represented by their unions (they are as teachers but not coaches). One complaint (warranted or not) can cause an uprising and the coaches have little or no backing.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                Part of me thinks: This is small town Minnesota
                Dilworth is pretty sophisicated in that Walmart in Moorhead moved a few blocks and they were in Dilworth, so I dont think they compare to Arlington, which is small town SD. Many of the people living in Dilworth work in Fargo and have a cosmopolitian outlook, but perhaps they still have a small town outlook, especially the one person made the complaint.

I agree coaches do not have much support, and you have to work the parents as did a coach in Sioux Valley, only to still loose his job as coach. I guess its more of a part time job. Notice the men's coach teaches fourth grade and is enjoying his work. Lets hope they don't take that away too.

Comment

Dilworth is pretty sophisicated in that Walmart in Moorhead moved a few blocks and they were in Dilworth, so I dont think they compare to Arlington, which is small town SD. Many of the people living in Dilworth work in Fargo and have a cosmopolitian outlook, but perhaps they still have a small town outlook, especially the one person made the complaint.
                  3,711 population (2009 census) = small town. With knowing only what I read in the online newspaper article, I feel for these coaches. There are more and more stories like this popping up.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                    3,711 population (2009 census) = small town. With knowing only what I read in the online newspaper article, I feel for these coaches. There are more and more stories like this popping up.
                    Dilworth is Directly attached to Moorhead, you don't even know you leave Moorhead and enter Dilworth so its not the same thinking as small town as the only thing small about it is the population. Dilworth shares a school with Glyndon and Felton so enrollment is pretty good and that is also some of the problem. Felton IS small town with Glyndon being 10 miles further east than Dilworth so there are many different feelings.
                    BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                      Dilworth is Directly attached to Moorhead, you don't even know you leave Moorhead and enter Dilworth so its not the same thinking as small town as the only thing small about it is the population. Dilworth shares a school with Glyndon and Felton so enrollment is pretty good and that is also some of the problem. Felton IS small town with Glyndon being 10 miles further east than Dilworth so there are many different feelings.
                      Thanks tjbison. I really had not given much thought to the long name for this school district and its impact. Apparently it has had an impact.

Comment

Dilworth(4,024) has become the easternmost suburb of the FM metro, Glyndon(1,394) is a bedroom community for FM(mostly Moorhead), and Felton is a truly rural community of 177 located about 25 miles NE of FM. Twenty years ago, the three towns were more alike than different. Today, it's become an odd mix of communities to share a school district.

Comment

Nothing new to see here.

One set of parents gets upset and makes baseless accusations, and a coach is fired for it.

You guys are acting like this doesn't happen alot.

I admit, the circumstances here are different with a roomfull of support for the coach, but it's amazing what a few agenda driven people can, and will do.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                            Nothing new to see here.

One set of parents gets upset and makes baseless accusations, and a coach is fired for it.

You guys are acting like this doesn't happen alot.

I admit, the circumstances here are different with a roomfull of support for the coach, but it's amazing what a few agenda driven people can, and will do.
                            This old bacholor has no children that he is aware of, and I am not Arnold S. so my closet is bone free, but I am surprised when these stories hit the media. Are you suggesting that this happens often? I live next door to a principal who had her home spray painted about three years ago, and they still have not caught the culprits. Seems like kids have a way of not snitching on one another, and if people can't get you one way they will get you another. The Principal is still with us and doing a great job. Its really sad how our educators are held sometimes in such a low regard, yet they have most important part or role to play in the lives of children. They should not been seen as a threat but as a friend. They often spend more time with the students than the parents do in the role of being a parent. I dont get the mind games angle this complainer has alleged against his team.

Comment

Working...
                            X