X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan High School Player Collapses and Dies

Sad Story!

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...text|FRONTPAGE

The story doesn't say that he was found to have an enlarged heart.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Re: Michigan High School Player Collapses and Dies

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    Sad Story!

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...text|FRONTPAGE

The story doesn't say that he was found to have an enlarged heart.
    Fennville is a little town here in W. Michigan of only a couple thousand people. Fennville, like many communities in S.D. activities often revolve around the local high school teams. It truly is one of those stories of a great kid who died way too young.

Comment

This young man had such a good image. It so sad. I think the Today show reported that he had the flu during the week, and that with enlarged heart was a very scary situation in retrospect. We never know how risky it was for him to play this very important game.

Comment

Extremely sad. Sixteen is just too young.

I read that Bo Kimble is going to speak to the Fennville team before their game tonight. He had a teammate at Loyola Marymount die from a heart issue during a conference tournement game. He now has a non-profit organization that works make automatic external defibrillators widely available. One of these may have been able to prevent this young man's death.

Two summers ago in Billings a guy got hit in the chest sliding into second with a softball. It hit his chest hard enough and at the perfect time it stopped his heart. There happened to be two nurses at the game and they started CPR. When the paramedics got there they shocked him and restarted his heart. He is fine now, but it took some heroics from several people to save his life. He was in his early 20's and in good shape. Something like this could happen to anyone.

IMO, there shouldn't be a high school sporting event anywhere that doesn't have an AED readily available.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

I read that Bo Kimble is going to speak to the Fennville team before their game tonight. He had a teammate at Loyola Marymount die from a heart issue during a conference tournement game. He now has a non-profit organization that works make automatic external defibrillators widely available. One of these may have been able to prevent this young man's death.
          His friend you're talking about was Hank Gathers.

Comment

Originally posted by OKC_Poke View Post
            His friend you're talking about was Hank Gathers.
            Thanks that seems just like yesterday but its been awhile back. I was trying to remember the name.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Thanks that seems just like yesterday but its been awhile back. I was trying to remember the name.
              Hank Gathers died in early part of March of 1990. 21 years ago!!!!

Comment

Two summers ago in Billings a guy got hit in the chest sliding into second with a softball. It hit his chest hard enough and at the perfect time it stopped his heart. There happened to be two nurses at the game and they started CPR. When the paramedics got there they shocked him and restarted his heart. He is fine now, but it took some heroics from several people to save his life. He was in his early 20's and in good shape. Something like this could happen to anyone.

IMO, there shouldn't be a high school sporting event anywhere that doesn't have an AED readily available.

I would be really surprised if any school didn't have an AED. It's mandatory in schools right?

If the game was out at a softball/baseball diamond though, it may not be around.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                  I would be really surprised if any school didn't have an AED. It's mandatory in schools right?

If the game was out at a softball/baseball diamond though, it may not be around.
                  I haven't heard that one was available at this game. Haven't heard otherwise though either.

Comment

I haven't heard that one was available at this game. Haven't heard otherwise though either.
                    Fennville's district game was held tonight at Hope College in Holland to accomodate the crowd. Tom Izzo, addressed the crowd prior to the game. Correction, he addressed both teams prior to the game. Says volumes to me re. Izzo. He is preparing his team for the Big Ten tourny and he travels an hour and a half to Holland to address these boys at a terrible time in their lives. Fennville won by the way, Yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
                      Fennville's district game was held tonight at Hope College in Holland to accomodate the crowd. Tom Izzo, addressed the crowd prior to the game. Correction, he addressed both teams prior to the game. Says volumes to me re. Izzo. He is preparing his team for the Big Ten tourny and he travels an hour and a half to Holland to address these boys at a terrible time in their lives. Fennville won by the way, Yeah.

They aired interviews with the coach on ESPN last night and tonight. Tugs at the heartstrings man. Sad sad situation. Hope they win the whole thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X