Books!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Books!

Interesting, Filbert. The late enlightenment does make for a fascinating backdrop. The changes in society during that period affected not only Europe and North America but also Asia with the collapse of the Mughal Empire and the beginnings of rebellion against the Dynasty in China. You will have an opportunity to educate and entertain. Tell me, will you be utilizing the romantic literary style of the that period?
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
      Interesting, Filbert. The late enlightenment does make for a fascinating backdrop. The changes in society during that period affected not only Europe and North America but also Asia with the collapse of the Mughal Empire and the beginnings of rebellion against the Dynasty in China. You will have an opportunity to educate and entertain. Tell me, will you be utilizing the romantic literary style of the that period?
      Not the literary style per se, but I'll try to adapt it and represent it somewhat in the speech patterns of the characters in that fork of the story. Plus the word selection in a story is obviously an element in reflecting the overall tone and atmospherics of the story, so there will probably be a goodly amount of late-18th-century vocabulary flourishes thrown in here and there to help set and maintain the mood.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Minutes ago, I just finished John Grishams latest novel released Oct 25, 2011, The Litigators. John Grisham has become a favorite author of mine in fiction. He is writing about real issues and because of his background, he writes about the legal system. Since Grisham's background is growing up and being part of the state of Mississippi, he often has written about the injustice that still plagues the Deep South. His most recent novel prior to "The Litigators" was "The Confession" where a person was wrongfully executed in the State of Texas. That too is a very good reading.

In this novel its about a small partnership on the south side of Chicago. A bright young lawyer has just spent 5 years working for a large law firm and is burned out. One day he just leaves and heads towards the firm of Finley and Figg, but he stops off at a bar and gets drunk in the process and ends the day at Finley and Figg who are at their usual task of ambulance chasing. A big car wreck happened just in front of their law office. David Zinc the bright lawyer ends up chasing off a competitor with a plece of metal sign when he attempted to steal a injured client from Wally Figg. Both Finley and Figg have had a very stormy past and they decide to hire David.

I will stop here and let your reading skills take over. Its a great book as most of Grishams novels are. Lots of humor.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 11-04-2011, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Are there any other John Sandford fans out there? I just finished reading his latest release, "Mad River". Sandford bases his books in Minnesota, with many real places listed. He creates some extremely dislikable villains. He does write his books with the same protaganist characters. For anybody looking to read his books, I encourage you to read them in the order that they were published.
          Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
            Are there any other John Sandford fans out there? I just finished reading his latest release, "Mad River". Sandford bases his books in Minnesota, with many real places listed. He creates some extremely dislikable villains. He does write his books with the same protaganist characters. For anybody looking to read his books, I encourage you to read them in the order that they were published.
            I've read lots of John Sanford's books over the past 10 years (including finishing the first in the Virgil Flowers series last week). Good stuff. If you like those you will probably also like the Alex Cross series by James Patterson.

Comment

I plan to check Sanford out.

Comment

Recently read Containment by Christian Cantrell and really enjoyed it.

It's a science fiction novel about establishing a colony on Venus and was a quick, fun read. Also, it's only like $2.00 on Kindle.

If you like stories with colorful characters, I wouldn't recommend it. The main character was interesting to me not so much by his actions or emotions, but rather his thought processes and problem solving ability. Also the colony and the challenges of surviving on Venus was fascinating to me.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                  I've read lots of John Sanford's books over the past 10 years (including finishing the first in the Virgil Flowers series last week). Good stuff. If you like those you will probably also like the Alex Cross series by James Patterson.
                  I read the Virgil Flowers series and 9 or 10 of the Davenport novels this summer. I really enjoyed both, I probably like the Prey series better of the two. I wish someone would have informed about reading them in order, but they were still good.
                  One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Working...
                  X