Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't want to live in North Dakota either.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I don't want to live in North Dakota either.

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    Hold it right there! You mean he didn't even want to visit North Dakota??? That's even worse than not wanting to live there!
    No,m he did visit UND though. WHich I believe had was the icing on the cake and the reason he cancelled his NDSU visit.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      Oh yeah, Fargo is so diverse. LOL
      Sounds dumb yeah. But you'd be surprised.

Comment

Fargo compared to Iowa, not a huge difference in pretty much anything. Lots of flat land, farms, and not a huge amount of diversity.

But honestly I don't think location had much to do with his decision, people around him and especially his coach got in his ear as soon as he committed. Combine that with a trip to GF and Drake probably looked good to him.

I wish we would have gotten this kid to Fargo(It always makes things easier), at least Saul has known for a while about his waffling so this isn't a big shock.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
          Fargo compared to Iowa, not a huge difference in pretty much anything.
          Temperature would be the biggest thing, as there is noticeable difference in the temp between North Dakota and Central Iowa. Heck, I noticed a temperature difference between my home town in the Southeast corner of SD compared to that of Brookings.
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

Off topic, but a smack thread. My nephew grew up in the Hills and in his first semester at SDSU we had one of those bitter cold snaps in November. He called his mom (my sister) and said, "Why in God's name does any live here anymore. I get the pioneers did not know how much better they could have it, but there is no reason anyone puts up with this anymore."

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
              Temperature would be the biggest thing, as there is noticeable difference in the temp between North Dakota and Central Iowa. Heck, I noticed a temperature difference between my home town in the Southeast corner of SD compared to that of Brookings.
              I guess, I forgot about the temps but I have been spoiled by this great spring weather we have had in Fargo. Just a trace of snow since March 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                But honestly I don't think location had much to do with his decision, people around him and especially his coach got in his ear as soon as he committed. Combine that with a trip to GF and Drake probably looked good to him.
                The kid is quoted in a reputable newspaper as saying, “I don’t want to live in North Dakota.”

You can honestly think whatever you want, but that is pretty straightforward.

Most kids in that position would say something like, "I liked what college x had to offer, and felt it was a better fit for me" and leave it at that. Especially if he had a junior college coach in his ear (who would not go looking to anger a DI program in the region).
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                  THIS is diversity?
                  Racial Diversity:
                  PercentWhite85% Black1% Hispanic1% Asian1% American Indian1% Unknown3% (Foreign Students)7%

Source: http://www.citytowninfo.com/school-p...ty-main-campus
                  White85%Black1%Hispanic1%Asian1%American Indian1%Unknown3%(Foreign Students)7%
                  It might not show up in that kind of statistic, but there is quite a bit of diversity in the FM area. We have distinct, healthy communities of Kenyans, Somali, Ethiopians, Sudanese, Vietnamese, Serbians and Bosnians(those last two groups can be interesting when they're in the same high school class). NDSU brings in significant numbers of Chinese, Indians and Koreans. We have a fairly large Mexican/Hispanic community because of migrant workers for sugar beets and potatoes in the Red River Valley. There are also small pockets of Iraqis, Iranians, Nigerians, Thais, and few others.

One of the least represented groups is actually native Americans. Even after 15 years in Fargo, they still feel like an invisible group to me. I think a large part of that is because of their own actions. Many in the area send their children to tribal schools, so we don't see them. The other very under-represented group is black Americans. I think we actually have more "real" African Americans(1st generation immigrants/refugees vs. descendants of slaves and the like). We were never part of the mass internal migrations that brought large black populations to Chicago and, to a lesser degree, Minneapolis.

All put together, it creates an interesting community if you look for it. Each group is small enough that you can ignore it if that's your personality. I see that a lot among North Dakotans whose families immigrated here around a century ago. It's very hard to miss in the school systems. Many of these recent immigrants are young families with many children. As such, they are a disproportionate fraction of the student body.

A couple weeks ago, a local Somali man made the paper for being the first black man to run for mayor. He's not going to win(Dennis Walaker has that wrapped up for many reasons), but he's receiving a lot of positive feedback from the greater FM community.

Oh, right, smack thread. Uhhh, this was actually a UND plot to poison the kid against us. They brought him to Grand Forks because they knew their city and campus was so bad that it would drive him clear out of the state. Good enough?

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    The kid is quoted in a reputable newspaper as saying, “I don’t want to live in North Dakota.”

You can honestly think whatever you want, but that is pretty straightforward.

Most kids in that position would say something like, "I liked what college x had to offer, and felt it was a better fit for me" and leave it at that. Especially if he had a junior college coach in his ear (who would not go looking to anger a DI program in the region).
                    He went to GF, that is not North Dakota, it is Southern Canada. It is a shame he had to visit there first and have his opinion of ND sullied.

But really his coach seemed very surprised when he verbaled, I am sure he loves Drake and all the Iowa DI schools. I doubt he cares about angering NDSU as long as he is sending his player to Drake.

Comment

With all that diversity it sounds like the Dept of Homeland Security should be looking into home grown terrorists coming out of North Dakota. What with all that vacant prairie land up there to start their little training camps without being noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                        With all that diversity it sounds like the Dept of Homeland Security should be looking into home grown terrorists coming out of North Dakota. What with all that vacant prairie land up there to start their little training camps without being noticed.
                        No, no, no, that's Michigan . . .

Er . . .

Um . . .
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          No, no, no, that's Michigan . . .

Er . . .

Um . . .

That was just some crazy guy with visions of grandeur and his kook family and freinds. We don't have militias here in Michigan, and the Detroit area was ceded to the Middle East long ago.

Comment

I off to pie land, for some pie.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                              I think we actually have more "real" African Americans(1st generation immigrants/refugees vs. descendants of slaves and the like).
                              I believe there's a similar story to be told in Sioux Falls. The Argus covered it a while back.

Oh, and I totally understand not wanting to live in North Dakota, except when you're from Iowa. All Iowa does is keep Nebraska from sharing a border with Illinois.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                                You have apparently never driven From Sioux Falls to Sturgis????? or Sturgis to Pierre, Pierre to Aberdeen, and ANYWHERE between Wyoming and Pierre

I can add watching Dances with Wolves also, but you know what The bar in the Ramkota in Pierre is kinda fun
                                BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Working...
                                X