X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD's Title as Best Team in the Dakotas Secured

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
    No, no recognition of the Great West title. No rings either
    That's what I thought, still no title in football since 1960 something. I was right afterall even SDSU doesn't recognise the Great West title in football as a true conference title.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
      Any program should be proud of their history especially the successes.
      That's why they have the Ginn Trophy Room. I think it's open to the public during any Frost event, except when press conferences are in session.

Being low key about roughly 130 conference championships (including Summit League titles) and seven national championships at event facilities is part and parcel of the Jackrabbit ethos.

Playing up those titles sends a subtle message that winning is the most important metric for success. It's not.

Comment

That's what I thought, still no title in football since 1960 something. I was right afterall even SDSU doesn't recognise the Great West title in football as a true conference title.
        They recognize the title (of course, the Great West had four of five teams in the top 25 that year), and they did have rings made (see the 2008 FB media guide).

But no banners at Coughlin. And for the reason above. Winning isn't everything.

Comment

let me clarify, no recognition of the title at CAS but the trophy is on display in the Ginn trophy room along with all of the other trophies SDSU has won.

I didn't think they had rings made, I may be wrong but I thought I read someplace (I believe it was from TV) that they only make rings for national titles.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
            let me clarify, no recognition of the title at CAS but the trophy is on display in the Ginn trophy room along with all of the other trophies SDSU has won.

I didn't think they had rings made, I may be wrong but I thought I read someplace (I believe it was from TV) that they only make rings for national titles.
            I remember reading that as well. Then I saw the pics in the media guide. My guess is someone spoke too soon.

Comment

2009-2010 Men's Basketball Schedule

DateOpponentTime/ResultFri, Nov 13-Sun, Nov 15at Duel in the Desert Classic (Lubbock, Texas) Fri, Nov 13at Texas Tech (Lubbock, Texas)L, 49-88 Sat, Nov 14vs. Oregon State (Lubbock, Texas)L, 47-62 Sun, Nov 15vs. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (Lubbock, Texas)W, 76-73 Fri, Nov 20Mayville State (DakotaDome)D2W, 99-67 Tue, Nov 24at Marquette (Milwaukee, Wis.)L, 68-93 Sat, Nov 28Dana (DakotaDome)D2W, 100-65 Sun, Nov 29Midland Lutheran (DakotaDome)D2W, 104-71 Wed, Dec 2Dakota State (DakotaDome)D2W, 111-59 Fri, Dec 11-Sun, Dec 13at Drake Invitational (Des Moines, Iowa) Fri, Dec 11at Drake (Des Moines, Iowa)L, 81-96 Sun, Dec 13vs. Binghamton (Des Moines, Iowa)?W, 89-77 Sun, Dec 20at Wyoming (Laramie, Wyo.)L, 74-86 Mon, Dec 28Morehead State (DakotaDome)L, 64-66 Sun, Jan 3at Kansas State (Manhattan, Kan.)L, 69-91 Fri, Jan 8Cornell (DakotaDome)L, 65-71 Sat, Jan 9SIU Edwardsville (DakotaDome)W, 100-76 Tue, Jan 12Longwood (DakotaDome)W, 75-63 Sat, Jan 16North Dakota * (DakotaDome) (Midco)W, 74-64 Thu, Jan 21at Utah Valley * (Orem, Utah)L, 68-86 Sat, Jan 23at North Dakota * (Grand Forks, N.D.) (Midco)W, 82-64 Thu, Jan 28at Houston Baptist * (Houston, Texas)W, 92-70 Sat, Jan 30at Texas-Pan American * (Edinburg, Texas)W, 72-71 Fri, Feb 5at SIU Edwardsville (Edwardsville, Ill.)W, 91-69 Thu, Feb 11Chicago State * (DakotaDome)W, 79-74 Thu, Feb 18Utah Valley * (DakotaDome)W, 59-55 Thu, Feb 25at NJIT * (Newark, N.J.)W, 68-58 Sat, Feb 27at Chicago State * (Chicago, Ill.)W, 77-73 Thu, Mar 4Texas-Pan American * (DakotaDome) (Midco)W, 85-79 (OT) Sat, Mar 6Houston Baptist * (DakotaDome)W, 97-84 Sun, Mar 7NJIT * (DakotaDome)W, 83-49 Fri, Mar 12vs. Utah Valley/UTPA (Great West Championship) (Orem, Utah)6 p.m.

USD four D2's Name opponents Marguette Wyoming Cornell Kansas State Drake, While SDSU had 2 D2's and played Wyoming Purdue Boston College East Carolina Denver Nevada Cal Poly Central Michigan Minnesota. Quit playing cupcakes and play some names before coming on here and spouting your blarg
              5. blarg (blärg)
              1. a. (n.) An online journal, like a blog (web log), that is mostly full of blah and argumentative discussion. The contents of a blarg often cease to be relevant even to the author the moment they are posted.
              Last edited by SturgisJeff; 03-09-2010, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post

DateOpponentTime/ResultFri, Nov 13-Sun, Nov 15at Duel in the Desert Classic (Lubbock, Texas) Fri, Nov 13at Texas Tech (Lubbock, Texas)L, 49-88 Sat, Nov 14vs. Oregon State (Lubbock, Texas)L, 47-62 Sun, Nov 15vs. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (Lubbock, Texas)W, 76-73 Fri, Nov 20Mayville State (DakotaDome)D2W, 99-67 Tue, Nov 24at Marquette (Milwaukee, Wis.)L, 68-93 Sat, Nov 28Dana (DakotaDome)D2W, 100-65 Sun, Nov 29Midland Lutheran (DakotaDome)D2W, 104-71 Wed, Dec 2Dakota State (DakotaDome)D2W, 111-59 Fri, Dec 11-Sun, Dec 13at Drake Invitational (Des Moines, Iowa) Fri, Dec 11at Drake (Des Moines, Iowa)L, 81-96 Sun, Dec 13vs. Binghamton (Des Moines, Iowa)?W, 89-77 Sun, Dec 20at Wyoming (Laramie, Wyo.)L, 74-86 Mon, Dec 28Morehead State (DakotaDome)L, 64-66 Sun, Jan 3at Kansas State (Manhattan, Kan.)L, 69-91 Fri, Jan 8Cornell (DakotaDome)L, 65-71 Sat, Jan 9SIU Edwardsville (DakotaDome)W, 100-76 Tue, Jan 12Longwood (DakotaDome)W, 75-63 Sat, Jan 16North Dakota * (DakotaDome) (Midco)W, 74-64 Thu, Jan 21at Utah Valley * (Orem, Utah)L, 68-86 Sat, Jan 23at North Dakota * (Grand Forks, N.D.) (Midco)W, 82-64 Thu, Jan 28at Houston Baptist * (Houston, Texas)W, 92-70 Sat, Jan 30at Texas-Pan American * (Edinburg, Texas)W, 72-71 Fri, Feb 5at SIU Edwardsville (Edwardsville, Ill.)W, 91-69 Thu, Feb 11Chicago State * (DakotaDome)W, 79-74 Thu, Feb 18Utah Valley * (DakotaDome)W, 59-55 Thu, Feb 25at NJIT * (Newark, N.J.)W, 68-58 Sat, Feb 27at Chicago State * (Chicago, Ill.)W, 77-73 Thu, Mar 4Texas-Pan American * (DakotaDome) (Midco)W, 85-79 (OT) Sat, Mar 6Houston Baptist * (DakotaDome)W, 97-84 Sun, Mar 7NJIT * (DakotaDome)W, 83-49 Fri, Mar 12vs. Utah Valley/UTPA (Great West Championship) (Orem, Utah)6 p.m.

USD four D2's
                but...but...those DII schools played really well against DI schools so they are just as good as them. I call it the Cornell Paradigm.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Just to clarify, by CF logic:

Winning a football conference with 4 top 25 teams is not an accomplishment to be proud of.

Winning a basketball conference with 6 of the 7 teams finishing with an RPI above 330 is an accomplishment worthy of banners and rings.

Makes a ton of sense to me.

I'm just going to say it, even their "conference championship" is a moral victory.

USD basketball: the skinniest kid at fat camp!
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

Winning a football conference with 4 top 25 teams is not an accomplishment to be proud of.

Winning a basketball conference with 6 of the 7 teams finishing with an RPI above 330 is an accomplishment worthy of banners and rings.

I'm just going to say it, even their "conference championship" is a moral victory.

Even my friends that are Udot grads don't try to compare the two programs. They understand that they have been successful, but to try to project that into anymore than their own transition is asinine.

But then again, they have common sense and are knowledgeable sports people. I know, hard to put those attributes to most Udot fans. But, they are out there.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                      But then again, they have common sense and are knowledgeable sports people. I know, hard to put those attributes to most Udot fans. But, they are out there.
                      Most of my Udot friends are the same; I think that this board has a warped view of USD fans because of one individual that continually posts idiotic fantasy-world crap.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                        Most of my Udot friends are the same; I think that this board has a warped view of USD fans because of one individual that continually posts idiotic fantasy-world crap.
                        I would tend to agree. And, as hard as it is to say, there are a few SDSU posters that have the same affliction. I guess it comes with the territory.

Comment

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, my side. Good one CF.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                            I would tend to agree. And, as hard as it is to say, there are a few SDSU posters that have the same affliction. I guess it comes with the territory.
                            yep, I should have added that.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post

USD four D2's Name opponents Marguette Wyoming Cornell Kansas State Drake, While SDSU had 2 D2's and played Wyoming Purdue Boston College East Carolina Denver Nevada Cal Poly Central Michigan Minnesota. Quit playing cupcakes and play some names before coming on here and spouting your blarg
                              5. blarg (blärg)
                              1. a. (n.) An online journal, like a blog (web log), that is mostly full of blah and argumentative discussion. The contents of a blarg often cease to be relevant even to the author the moment they are posted.
                              Nice post. It looks as if udot won the gpac and dac conferences too.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

Do not question his logic. USD will always outshine everything that SDSU does. We could win an FCS Championship and he will state "But remember back in 1983 when we whipped you 48-23 in your house. Man we really got you there."

Back to reality, C_F, do you realize how horrible that conference is? When UMKC and Cenentary can come in and compete for a title. That doesn't say much for your conference. Like others have stated, winning a conference where 4 out of 5 is ranked and one where your team has a winning record overall completely different.

Go ahead and brag all you want. The Coyotes won a basketball conference title. Good for you guys. You just aren't going to garner much respect out of that one. That conference is made up of teams that had enough of "independent hell" and organized pseudo-conference for scheduling puposes. Honestly, you cant give much credibility when your conferenc ranges from Utah to New Jersey and North Dakota down to Texas, most of which whose RPI sucks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Summit League is even on the level of the Missouri Valley, but it is much more of a credible conference than the Great West. Don't be like NDSU when we came into the MVFC and state you are going to dominate. Truth is, you are not. The competition is on an entirely different level. You won't have the same teams to beat up on. Gone will be Cenentary, one of the Summit's worst MBB teams. You will quickly learn what playing in a real conference is like.

We will give you your accolades if you come into the Summit and prove us wrong. My guess is that you won't. I doubt that USD will come in and finish in the top half of the conference for several years. You do not have the team NDSU did last year to dominate like they did.

Comment

Working...
                                X