Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fort Wayne claims to fame

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post

I'm ugly, I'm dead, and I represent a university in Fort Wayne, I have no life.
    Cyrano de Bergerac?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      Anybody know where the Mastadons mascot came from? Was Cavemen and Cavewomen taken? (INVITATION FOR STURGIS "ART" HERE).
      They actually found a mastodon bone on campus. At least that is wikipedia says.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post

I'm ugly, I'm dead, and I represent a university in Fort Wayne, I have no life.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
          They actually found a mastodon bone on campus. At least that is wikipedia says.
          Well, if Wikipedia says it, it must be half right unless it's totally wrong.

Comment

[QUOTE=SturgisJeff;148504]

CAPTION CONTEST: Dude, this is the mother of all hangovers.

Comment

MMMMMMMMMMM, Mastadon!

Tastes like chicken! Really old, greasy chicken!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

From the Summit League website: (this is purely for information purposes, please don't let this post stop the fun)

IPFW
                Nickname: Mastodons
                Mascot: Don

It all started in the Ice Age more than 10,000 years ago when mastodons roamed the southern Great Lakes region of North America. Now extinct, these stocky mammals stood about 10 feet tall, had long trunks, and weighed about five tons. They were distant cousins of modern elephants.

The Ice Age passed. Landforms changed. Then one day in 1968, Orcie Routsong, a farmer who lived just south of Angola along what is now I-69, decided to dig a pond. The location was a boggy area where nothing much grew and equipment got stuck. Pond excavators unearthed a large bone. Realizing it could not have belonged to a horse or cow, Routsong contacted a number of people to see if anyone was interested. Nobody was. Then he reached Jack Sunderman, chair of the IPFW geosciences department, who asked, "How big is it?" When told it was about four feet long and six to eight inches across, Sunderman said, "I'll be right there."

The IPFW Department of Geosciences took on the excavation. Using metal rods as probes, geology students along with faculty members Geoffrey Matthews and Bernd Erdtmann joined Sunderman. They were able to locate about two-thirds of the skeleton as well as the skull of a baby mastodon nearby. The Indiana-Purdue Student Government Association provided funds for additional machine excavation in hopes of finding more bones, but nothing major surfaced. Routsong graciously agreed to place the adult mastodon skeleton on permanent display at IPFW. It is still in the lobby of Kettler Hall. The baby mastodon skull was placed on loan to Science Central, a Fort Wayne hands-on, student-oriented science activity center, where it remains today.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Maybe IPFW and IUPUI could use that bone head for a traveling trophy in an annual shootout of the Purdue schools. Unfortunately, it kind of resembles a Bison player. Or at least a bison.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                  X