Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coyotes humbled again

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
    I think USD SDSU would be a real competitive game. Anyone that thinks that USD doesn't have an advantage inside is clinically insane. And hasn't watched both teams play. Cain and Smith would destroy SDSU.
    Maybe the game would be competitive, and I'm sure Cain and Smith are good players.

However, Cain is averaging about 15 points, 10 rebounds, and 2 blocks. Smith is at 7 points, 4.5 rebounds, and 1 block.

We have faced tougher players in the Summit League, and I wouldn't say any individual has "destroyed" us.

As a matter of fact, there are 8 players averaging more points than Tyler Cain who currently play in the Summit. That's right, Cain would barely be a top 10 scorer in the Summit League. Several of these are as big or bigger than Cain.

Rebounding wise, Keith Benson has a slight edge over Cain with Deilvez Yearby right on his heels.

There are 4 players with more blocks per game than Tyler Cain in the Summit League.

Also remember that all those players with better stats than Tyler Cain didn't have the benefit of playing against Mayville State, Dana, Midland Lutheran, and Dakota State in the same season to pad their stats.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      Maybe the game would be competitive, and I'm sure Cain and Smith are good players.

However, Cain is averaging about 15 points, 10 rebounds, and 2 blocks. Smith is at 7 points, 4.5 rebounds, and 1 block.

We have faced tougher players in the Summit League, and I wouldn't say any individual has "destroyed" us.

As a matter of fact, there are 8 players averaging more points than Tyler Cain who currently play in the Summit. That's right, Cain would barely be a top 10 scorer in the Summit League. Several of these are as big or bigger than Cain.

Rebounding wise, Keith Benson has a slight edge over Cain with Deilvez Yearby right on his heels.

There are 4 players with more blocks per game than Tyler Cain in the Summit League.

Also remember that all those players with better stats than Tyler Cain didn't have the benefit of playing against Mayville State, Dana, Midland Lutheran, and Dakota State in the same season to pad their stats.
      I'd say whoever Oakland's big man was, destroyed SDSU. He was unstoppable down the stretch. But anyways, stats are pretty useless way of telling how good a basketball player is. They aren't entirely useless, but they definitely do not tell the whole picture. I should have expanded my statement to include the word defensively. You cannot measure with any statistic (to my knowledge) of how well Tyler Cain plays defense. But anyways, I'm done with this argument. Anyone on this board that has not watched him play, I urge you to see him if you have the chance.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

But anyways, I'm done with this argument. Anyone on this board that has not watched him play, I urge you to see him if you have the chance.
        When does USD play a quality D-I school, you know someone with an RPI of at least 250, so we can tell how good he is?

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
          When does USD play a quality D-I school, you know someone with an RPI of at least 250, so we can tell how good he is?
          Sometime in 2011. You know, when they enter the Summit. Although I hope their game doesn't suffer since they will be leaving that great measuring stick of the Great West Conference.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Morehead State. 17 points 15 boards 4 blocks.

Kansas State. 18 points 10 boards 5 blocks.

Cornell. 12 points 9 boards 2 blocks.

Drake. 16 points 11 boards 3 blocks.

Texas A&M Corpus Cristie. 16 points 8 boards 3 blocks.

Marquette. 19 points 5 boards 1 block.

Average: 16.33 ppg, 9.67 rpg, 3 bpg.

Comment

I'd say whoever Oakland's big man was, destroyed SDSU. He was unstoppable down the stretch. But anyways, stats are pretty useless way of telling how good a basketball player is. They aren't entirely useless, but they definitely do not tell the whole picture. I should have expanded my statement to include the word defensively. You cannot measure with any statistic (to my knowledge) of how well Tyler Cain plays defense. But anyways, I'm done with this argument. Anyone on this board that has not watched him play, I urge you to see him if you have the chance.
              Oakland beat us by 3 points. That's destroyed?? Benson did have 23 points and 11 rebounds, an impressive output, no doubt. He did hit some crucial free throws down the stretch. But I don't think you could say he destroyed us when we lost by 3.

Unstoppable down the stretch? He made 3 free throws, got 2 rebounds, and scored 1 basket in the last 5 minutes. By comparison, Kai had 1 free throw, 2 rebounds, and 1 basket in that same stretch. I'm beginning to see why yote fans think Cain would dominate the Jackrabbits.

According to your logic:

Bensons performance against SDSU = Destroying SDSU

Tyler Cain = Destroying SDSU

Benson = Cain

Cain = First round NBA draft pick.

I guess that logic does make perfect sense.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                According to your logic:

Bensons performance against SDSU = Destroying SDSU

Tyler Cain = Destroying SDSU

Benson = Cain

Cain = First round NBA draft pick.

I guess that logic does make perfect sense.
                Hahahahahahaha.

Did you learn "logic" from this guy?

I am impressed that you could take me saying that Cain would destroy SDSU and turn that into me saying he would be a 1st round pick in the NBA. Hat tip.

Comment

Hahahahahahaha.

Did you learn "logic" from this guy?

I am impressed that you could take me saying that Cain would destroy SDSU and turn that into me saying he would be a 1st round pick in the NBA. Hat tip.
                  I must admit, I thought of that image when writing my post.

You can't argue math.

Comment

Didn't you say:

But anyways, stats are pretty useless way of telling how good a basketball player is.
                    and you went on to invite us to see for ourselves how good he is so I am asking when can I see him play against a 250 or higher RPI team.

Comment

Didn't you say:

and you went on to invite us to see for ourselves how good he is so I am asking when can I see him play against a 250 or higher RPI team.
                      Pretty useless, but not entirely. Essentially, they are useless when you use them, but when I use them they work.

And I guess you missed your opportunity to see him play against a 250 RPI team. I saw them play Cornell and MSU and it was a treat.

Comment

I think most of us know that Cain is a quality player, whats irritating us is that the Yote faithfull think they would beat the Jacks because we haven't gone up against a player with Cain's abilities. We've seen qaulity big men in our schedule: Benson Oakland, Ford ORU.

Comment

And here's another factor:

Basketball is a team sport.

If Cain is the only good matchup for the 'Yotes, it's probably not going to be a Coyote victory.

It wasn't BENSON that beat SDSU. It was Benson and JONES. SDSU didn't have an effective answer to Jones' pull up jumper and that was basically the difference (well, that and crappy officiating--and not crappy officiating because Benson hit a lot of free throws, but crappy officiating because it slowed the tempo).

Comment

Originally posted by 90Jackrabbit View Post
                            I think most of us know that Cain is a quality player, whats irritating us is that the Yote faithfull think they would beat the Jacks because we haven't gone up against a player with Cain's abilities. We've seen qaulity big men in our schedule: Benson Oakland, Ford ORU.
                            This.

And not only do Oakland, IUPUI, and ORU have big men on par with Cain, they have guards and forwards unlike anything currently playing in the dome. We've beaten ORU, led Oakland by double digits, and should have a decent chance of beating IUPUI when they come to Frost.

Oakland - Benson, Jones, Nelson

IUPUI - Glenn, Young, Nobles

ORU - Morrison, Craion, Ford

The biggest difference between DI and DII is that the opponent almost every night has at least 1 and probably 2 players who would have been player of the year candidates and all american candidates in the NCC.

I don't doubt for a second that Cain is a good player and could hold his own in the Summit. However, one player is not going to make a season, especially when the other team has 2-3 studs of their own.

Comment

USD/UND need to stay out of the conferences, they just bring everyone down, its sad from afar. miserable fan bases

Comment

Originally posted by CCdeville View Post
                                USD/UND need to stay out of the conferences, they just bring everyone down, its sad from afar. miserable fan bases
                                Thank you for once again demonstrating that USD and UND will make the Summit League a more interesting place.

Comment

Working...
                                X