Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coyotes humbled again

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
    He is better than an above average D2 player, but I will give you that he is nothing special. But him combined with Cain are pretty imposing defensively. Smith does have some pretty post moves at times, but when he starts shooting 3's I start cringing.
    They dont really have much to do defensively when they let teams shoot the 3 over them in that zone. USD guards are to short and slow to get out on taller shooters. USD zone is not really going to do them much good when they start playing summit teams. maybe you can get by with that in the mighty great west. Imagine Kangas shooting 3 aginst that zone? he would score 40 plus points agame agaist that zone. Cain is good, but it takes 5 players to make a team good, thats what USD doesnt get, they think hey we can rely on one good one and magically they are an awesome team. cain cant block out cordova or williams or moss getting rebounds and dunks and what not. krogman is having a bit of a sophmore slump i think but it will get pretty easy for a team to know USD offensive is......inbound.....dribble up court....dribble along the 3 point line.....shoot....dang rebound other team. not a real difficult offensive system to defend and a slow guards to play against on the other side, sounds like what a lot of summit teams would love to play against.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      I'm not sure about the Bison, but I guarantee SDSU would kill USD in baseball.
      and wrestling.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
        I thought they were pretty good at baseball but I don't really care and wasn't going to spend the time to look it up.

Are kicking their butts in baseball too?

SUPERBUNNY
        We don't totally suck at baseball, but we're only about one step above it. Ironic since we've got the best facility in the Summit. Mainly, it's a Title IX thing. We don't have enough women's sports, so not all the men's sports can be fully funded. Baseball is in second to last place; just ahead of men's golf. Things are beginning to improve some, however. After years of being around 4 scholarships, they've now been bumped up to about 6-7, with another increase to 9 coming soon. Hopefully, they'll eventually be fully funded to the DI max of 11.7.

Comment

As of 2-2-10 USD would fall right in the middle of the Summit League according to the latest RPI rankings. Just some food for thought.

67 Oakland
          105 IUPUI
          135 Oral Roberts
          203 IPFW
          210 SDSU
          244 USD
          272 NDSU
          301 UMKC
          312 Centenary
          315 S Utah
          318 W Illinios
          How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
            As of 2-2-10 USD would fall right in the middle of the Summit League according to the latest RPI rankings. Just some food for thought.

67 Oakland
            105 IUPUI
            135 Oral Roberts
            203 IPFW
            210 SDSU
            244 USD
            272 NDSU
            301 UMKC
            312 Centenary
            315 S Utah
            318 W Illinios
            A perfect example of how difficult it is to compare teams that don't play. USD isn't a bad basketball team. Boots knows how to coach. And they've got some solid players. But nobody can say with any certainty who is "better" in a head-to-head matchup. RPI probably helps, as do conference ratings. But we don't know.

We'll find out soon enough. I'm looking forward to USD joining the Summit. Then all of these kinds of discussions (for basketball anyway) will be based on some head-to-head competition.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post

67 Oakland
              105 IUPUI
              135 Oral Roberts
              203 IPFW
              210 SDSU
              244 USD
              272 NDSU
              301 UMKC
              312 Centenary
              315 S Utah
              318 W Illinios
              I seem to recall somebody else posting something similar not quite a week ago . . .
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

And there you see the screwed up RPI formula on display.

Oakland's Sagarin rating is 106---close enough to IUPUI's to show that IUPUI wasn't playing over their head when they beat Oakland last Thursday.

But when you play an absolutely brutal non-conf, you can come out of it with a lousy record and burnish your RPI.

Comment

It would be interesting to know what our rpi would be if we had beaten ECU, Denver, and Cal Poly.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    It would be interesting to know what our rpi would be if we had beaten ECU, Denver, and Cal Poly.
                    It wouldn't affect SDSU's RPI very much (RPI = 50% your w/l, 25% your opponents' w/l, and 25% your opponents' opponents' w/l, with a correction factor for home court). Basically, beating them wouldn't boost SDSU's RPI as much as it would've boosted the Jacks' Sagarin ratings.

Although, thinking about it, it might move SDSU up a few notches, as they're kind of in the middle of the RPI curve, right now, and a small change in RPI might move them a fair ways in the ranking.

Comment

So SDSU signs 7 South Dakota kids today to play football.

USD signs 4 South Dakota kids to play football.

Who is South Dakota's team again?

(\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                        So SDSU signs 7 South Dakota kids today to play football.

USD signs 4 South Dakota kids to play football.

Who is South Dakota's team again?

Don't want to get into the merits of the South Dakota's team angle, but would like to point out that State has 18 players listed on the current roster with SD hometowns while USD has 24. This works out to 20% of State's roster and 26% for the U. Obviously neither has enough to claim South Dakota's team based on that criteria.

Comment

Can we smack on club sports? I heard that SDSU beat USD in club hockey last night by a score of 16-4. Some of the guys in my fraternity went. Yes, that is a 16-4 in hockey. Maybe USD should have tried to sign some hockey players yesterday too. I know it is a club sport but losing 16-4 deserves a quick smack. I think they should stop their basketball season and flood the dome with water so their hockey team can practice. Maybe the dome would make a better hockey arena then basketball arena. Then you could still play with your little friends from UND too.

Comment

Originally posted by el_presidente View Post
                            Can we smack on club sports? I heard that SDSU beat USD in club hockey last night by a score of 16-4. Some of the guys in my fraternity went. Yes, that is a 16-4 in hockey. Maybe USD should have tried to sign some hockey players yesterday too. I know it is a club sport but losing 16-4 deserves a quick smack. I think they should stop their basketball season and flood the dome with water so their hockey team can practice. Maybe the dome would make a better hockey arena then basketball. Then you could still play with your little friends from UND.
                            I think it was something like 14-7 SDSU when they played down here. My understanding, USD guys just wanted to fight. That is coming from someone who is a USD fan.

Now, USD did just whip us in swimming in diving, it wouldn't be fair not to mention that.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by yotefan90 View Post
                              Don't want to get into the merits of the South Dakota's team angle, but would like to point out that State has 18 players listed on the current roster with SD hometowns while USD has 24. This works out to 20% of State's roster and 26% for the U. Obviously neither has enough to claim South Dakota's team based on that criteria.
                              I don't recall SDSU ever claiming to be "South Dakota's Team" or trying to undermine USD's move to DI by saying that it would prohibit them from recruiting local kids. Maybe I missed that though. There is a clear intention on the current coaching staff at USD to recruit a different group of athletes than SDSU in football. If you aren't willing to admit that you aren't being honest with yourself.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                I don't recall SDSU ever claiming to be "South Dakota's Team" or trying to undermine USD's move to DI by saying that it would prohibit them from recruiting local kids. Maybe I missed that though. There is a clear intention on the current coaching staff at USD to recruit a different group of athletes than SDSU in football. If you aren't willing to admit that you aren't being honest with yourself.

ALL I was trying to say is neither school can make the claim South Dakota's team based on the sole criteria of SD players on a given roster (which is what the previous poster was hinting at). I was not trying to justify USD's marketing campaign of a few years back. I don't even know if they are still using it, although some of the previous signage I am sure is still out there.

Each school will recruit based on their positional needs that season. If a SD kid #1 is good enough to play at that level and #2 chooses to stay in state that is all the better. My preference is to see as many SD kids as possible on both rosters.

Comment

Working...
                                X