• Show
Clear All

Re: USD vs State rivalry shirts

Story for the usd school paper

http://www.volanteonline.com/news/t-...game-1.2146582

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
      When I read this earlier today it just shows that some of the students aren't interested in the game at all. The quote about "hating them" seems especially disconcerting.
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
        When I read this earlier today it just shows that some of the students aren't interested in the game at all. The quote about "hating them" seems especially disconcerting.
        I'm telling you there are basically 2 kinds of USD fans that I interact with on a daily basis.

First, you have the fan who is convinced that USD will have immediate success at the DI level. Why? DI isn't really any different than the NCC and USD dominated the NCC in all sports at the end of their DII days. Never mind the fact that the NCC was only a shell of its former self and that DII itself has become diluted. USD will immediately compete with us in men's basketball and football and most likely USD would win if we played in the dome. The fact the game isn't happening is because SDSU is being cowardly.

The other fan, doesn't necessarily support the move to DI and really hasn't paid attention to coyote athletics or Jackrabbit athletics for the last 3-5 years. However, they want so badly to play SDSU again and that has become their sole focus. They cannot believe that SDSU has not immediately arranged for as many games as possible every year against the coyotes and will be watching intently on Monday night as it is the biggest game of the season for them. This type of fan also believes USD would defeat us in men's basketball and football if we played them in the dome. They also think the whole NCC should have went DI.

Do I think resumption of the rivalry is a good idea? Sure I do and it will resume. Am I excited about it? I don't know that I could be much more excited about SDSU right now. The resumption of a game against USD really doesn't change my already high level of excitement. If it gets other more casual fans more interested in the Jackrabbits, I'm all for it.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

USD has a fanbase?? News to me.

I was thinking the other night...if SDSU would've agreed to keep playing USD in all sports back when SDSU moved to D-1...does anyone think they would've just stayed D-2...I honestly think they would have, considering how much this game means to them.

This game Monday night for their "fanbase" their Super Bowl for the year times 10 and seems like it has always been that way.

Go Jacks!!
          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
            I was thinking the other night...if SDSU would've agreed to keep playing USD in all sports back when SDSU moved to D-1...does anyone think they would've just stayed D-2...I honestly think they would have, considering how much this game means to them.

Go Jacks!!
            That is an interesting question to pose. I think the second fan-type I described above would have said stay DII. However, the first fan-type is confident they will roll right into DI without a hitch so I suspect they would say DI. Oh yeah, the only reason they didn't move up right away was so they could observe our transition and make theirs more smoothly. That was the plan all along, that's right, that's the ticket.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              That is an interesting question to pose. I think the second fan-type I described above would have said stay DII. However, the first fan-type is confident they will roll right into DI without a hitch so I suspect they would say DI. Oh yeah, the only reason they didn't move up right away was so they could observe our transition and make theirs more smoothly. That was the plan all along, that's right, that's the ticket.
              We got a bingo. Wait, they played Follow the Leader.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                USD has a fanbase?? News to me.

This game Monday night for their "fanbase" their Super Bowl for the year times 10 and seems like it has always been that way.

Go Jacks!!
                IMO the NDSU-Wisconsin men's basketball game was the turning point for UND to move up, and USD made the decision to move up so they wouldn't be the only one left back in DII.

Comment

Originally posted by 90Jackrabbit View Post
                  IMO the NDSU-Wisconsin men's basketball game was the turning point for UND to move up, and USD made the decision to move up so they wouldn't be the only one left back in DII.
                  Had USD stayed at the DII level, they would have become a regional powerhouse getting all the non-FCS athletes passed over by the other three schools.

Of course, being a regional DII powerhouse in an area with three FCS schools is kind of like winning first place in a pet look-a-lilke contest. Even if you win, you still kinda lose.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                    We got a bingo. Wait, they played Follow the Leader.
                    This is what it is like to look through their rosy, red glasses:

GB, GB, GJ!

SUEPRBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

We've encountered a couple of pretty realistic USD fans here on this forum. And I have talked to a few USD grads who have adjusted their expectations appropriately. But the simple fact is they haven't competed long enough at this level or played high enough caliber competition, to understand the difficulties they're in for.

Their men's basketball program is the best example. They just haven't played many tough opponents. When you're pointing to a loss to Cornell as your top performance, you haven't been tested much. So as a result, they're 14-9 or whatever playing lots of SIU-Edwardsville and Seattles and they think that's somehow indicative of how they'd do in the Summit against Oakland, ORU, and SDSU.

Maybe that has been the strategy of their administration and coaching staffs: perform well against weak opponents. But it doesn't do much as far as forcing your programs to progress or helping your fans understand what it takes to progress.

One caveat to that: I would note that their football schedule has been much more competitive. This year they have a solid FCS schedule. We'll see how it goes without an exceptional QB like Shepard to lead them.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                        We've encountered a couple of pretty realistic USD fans here on this forum. And I have talked to a few USD grads who have adjusted their expectations appropriately. But the simple fact is they haven't competed long enough at this level or played high enough caliber competition, to understand the difficulties they're in for.

Their men's basketball program is the best example. They just haven't played many tough opponents. When you're pointing to a loss to Cornell as your top performance, you haven't been tested much. So as a result, they're 14-9 or whatever playing lots of SIU-Edwardsville and Seattles and they think that's somehow indicative of how they'd do in the Summit against Oakland, ORU, and SDSU.

Maybe that has been the strategy of their administration and coaching staffs: perform well against weak opponents. But it doesn't do much as far as forcing your programs to progress or helping your fans understand what it takes to progress.

One caveat to that: I would note that their football schedule has been much more competitive. This year they have a solid FCS schedule. We'll see how it goes without an exceptional QB like Shepard to lead them.
                        I would like to remind you that this is the smack section.

Other than that, I agree with most everything you've typed. The regular visitors to this forum that associate themselves with USD are pretty reasonable individuals. Especially as compared to myself.

Again, this is the smack section of the forum. If you wish to have a logical discourse about the upcoming game, take it to the women's basketball section of the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                          Had USD stayed at the DII level, they would have become a regional powerhouse getting all the non-FCS athletes passed over by the other three schools.

Of course, being a regional DII powerhouse in an area with three FCS schools is kind of like winning first place in a pet look-a-lilke contest. Even if you win, you still kinda lose.
                          The best one I have heard....It's like saying your the prettiest one on The View.
                          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            They just haven't played many tough opponents. When you're pointing to a loss to Cornell as your top performance, you haven't been tested much. So as a result, they're 14-9 or whatever playing lots of SIU-Edwardsville and Seattles and they think that's somehow indicative of how they'd do in the Summit against Oakland, ORU, and SDSU.
                            Rather interesting to note that USD is leading in the Great West. It might be worth noting that out of 347 D-I men's basketball teams, the Sagarin ratings have four teams from the Great West ranked in the bottom 20...Texas Pan-Am #327, NJIT 332, UND 334, and Houston Baptist 338. I agree with JJ that competition like that makes it hard to progress. IAF they didn't have a lot of choice of what "conference" they were going to play in.

Comment

Working...
                            X