Minor Meltdown in the South

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minor Meltdown in the South

Famous USD alumni include 50 Cent, Barack Obama, Derek Jeter, Lady Gaga, Jack MD etc., as humorously claimed by RO. That's funny. I hope we don't find out that CoyoteFan is really a SDSU alum!
    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      While I believe many at USD feel as you do, until the stuffed coyote with a jackrabbit in its mouth is removed from the training room, as far as I am concerned there is entirely too much focus on SDSU in Vermillion.
      Maybe you are right, I don't know. But here is my point. If you go and read posts on here, and not all in the smack section, you have to agree with me that many on here start off their posts by bashing USD. Usung USD's initials for things like University of South Dump, The Dakota Dump, making fun of the degrees earned with comments about being waiters, bartenders, etc. Quite frankly, I find most of it funny in a "rivalry" sort of way.

If you then go to our website, I don't think you can hardly find a post about SDSU other than being complimentary. So what I am saying is without bashing your fan base, is that there are a large percentage of you that go out of your way to bash USD. Now, it's your website, so indeed it's your game. But a coyote having a jackrabbit in its mouth in the training room to me isn't a whole lot different than posters on here bashing USD when USD wasn't even the target of conversation or thread topic.

As you know, I have bantered hard wirth many on here, some in jest, some personally. And one thing I consistently hear, especially from your older fan base is how disrespectful USD fans have been to them, or their friend, or they knew someone that did something awful to them. And all of it may be true, maybe some of it..........but ther underlying message I have recieved on here is that most older fans do not want a rivalry renewed until they feel like the administration at USD will be prepared to handle poor behavior. And for rthem, it is a fair comment.

Like I said in the past, the last time my wife and I were there, people were crude to her. One person called her a name that rhymed with runt. Now, as bad as that is, I know for a fact that it does not represent the general fans base of SDSU. I think the reason I was left alone was because I am a big guy quite frankly.

If this rivalry is going to be renewed, and it appears it will be whether we like it or not, it would be huge if it could somehow get pulled off as a great rivalry with minimum low rent things happening. When we walk off the field, or court, we can look at each other and say GOOD GAME regardless of who won. That's really what sports is all about.

I have been appalled at some of the things that happened in Vermillion that your posters alluded to. That needs to change. But that change starts everywhere, not just in Vermillion. Even this fanboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
        Famous USD alumni include 50 Cent, Barack Obama, Derek Jeter, Lady Gaga, Jack MD etc., as humorously claimed by RO. That's funny. I hope we don't find out that CoyoteFan is really a SDSU alum!
        Let me clue you in on something. If you win the playoffs, Barack Obama will claim SDSU as his alma mater, not USD.

Actually this post is funny and healthy. Thanks for the laugh

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
          Maybe you are right, I don't know. But here is my point. If you go and read posts on here, and not all in the smack section, you have to agree with me that many on here start off their posts by bashing USD. Usung USD's initials for things like University of South Dump, The Dakota Dump, making fun of the degrees earned with comments about being waiters, bartenders, etc. Quite frankly, I find most of it funny in a "rivalry" sort of way.

If you then go to our website, I don't think you can hardly find a post about SDSU other than being complimentary. So what I am saying is without bashing your fan base, is that there are a large percentage of you that go out of your way to bash USD. Now, it's your website, so indeed it's your game. But a coyote having a jackrabbit in its mouth in the training room to me isn't a whole lot different than posters on here bashing USD when USD wasn't even the target of conversation or thread topic.

As you know, I have bantered hard wirth many on here, some in jest, some personally. And one thing I consistently hear, especially from your older fan base is how disrespectful USD fans have been to them, or their friend, or they knew someone that did something awful to them. And all of it may be true, maybe some of it..........but ther underlying message I have recieved on here is that most older fans do not want a rivalry renewed until they feel like the administration at USD will be prepared to handle poor behavior. And for rthem, it is a fair comment.

Like I said in the past, the last time my wife and I were there, people were crude to her. One person called her a name that rhymed with runt. Now, as bad as that is, I know for a fact that it does not represent the general fans base of SDSU. I think the reason I was left alone was because I am a big guy quite frankly.

If this rivalry is going to be renewed, and it appears it will be whether we like it or not, it would be huge if it could somehow get pulled off as a great rivalry with minimum low rent things happening. When we walk off the field, or court, we can look at each other and say GOOD GAME regardless of who won. That's really what sports is all about.

I have been appalled at some of the things that happened in Vermillion that your posters alluded to. That needs to change. But that change starts everywhere, not just in Vermillion. Even this fanboard.
          Agree with most of what you said, and no doubt both schools were responsible for their share of the ugliness of the past. I think we would get along pretty good if we met in a bar before an SDSU/USD game.

However, a prominently displayed coyote with a rabbit in its mouth implies institutional focus on SDSU. I don't think you will find anything like that at SDSU, other than the Dakota Marker Trophy for our NDSU rivalry, which we earned by play on the field.

Message boards are message boards, fans post a lot of useless drivel--a lot of which they would never say in person. But when the people in charge at a university (whether the president, football coach, or head trainer) focus too much on one rival, its unhealthy for the athletic department as a whole. I think Coach Boots understands this, and I also think its a big part of the success he has had as head coach at USD.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
            Amen. I wish people on both sides could just let it go. I grew up in Brookings, went to SDSU and want to beat USD when we play them. But the rest of it is just stupid and childish. South Dakota is a small state and we all know and like somebody who went to the other university. Good-natured ribbing is one thing. Anything more than that and you need to work on gaining some perspective in your life. Let it go. Turn the other cheek.

We're talking about games here. It should be fun, not ugly.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              Amen. I wish people on both sides could just let it go. I grew up in Brookings, went to SDSU and want to beat USD when we play them. But the rest of it is just stupid and childish. South Dakota is a small state and we all know and like somebody who went to the other university. Good-natured ribbing is one thing. Anything more than that and you need to work on gaining some perspective in your life. Let it go. Turn the other cheek.

We're talking about games here. It should be fun, not ugly.
              I dunnnoooooo.....we might know them but do we have to like them???????

My family is a mix of a few USD grads and students and a lot of SDSU grads and a couple of current students. Its a lot of fun to razz each other during the holidays. Obviously its in good fun. If fans of both universities can remember that they have relatives and friends that attended the other university when considering fans of the other university that they don't know, it probably wouldn't be as venomous. Did that make sense? I'm tired, but I hope it did.

However, I still want to beat them by 1000 points ever time we play (when we play again) and will razz them mercilessly when we do! I would expect the same in return and would grit my teeth and stomach it, as painful as it may be.
              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                It's wikipedia, dude. I could go on and change the page to say whatever the heck I want it to. In fact, I think I will.
                First, would appreciate you drop the dude stuff.

I know what Wikipedia is. My point is that someone with an association to USD put that together and is actively protecting the content. Try to change that little piece of the entry and see what happens.

There are coaches, alumni in the media, and alumni politicians from the U actively pushing for a resumption to the "Rivalry". That is not coming from State. So perhaps there is some evidence of an obssession with State on the part of USD and the USD fans?
                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
                X