Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bison get $0 for Tourney Bid

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
    SDSU's grant is expected to be around $600,000.
    That's the football program & related Title IX scholarships for you. If you look at the PDF I linked to earlier, there's a big gap between football conferences and non-football conferences when it comes to NCAA disbursements.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      This would be my understanding as well. I think everyone was anxious to get into a confernce and maybe we could have been better negiotators.
      I think we had very ample negotiations in joining the Summit League. Schools that have been in the conference certainly had an interest in the money they were receiving, and bringing in new schools cuts their share. Were we anxious to get into a conference. ABSOLUTELY. Were we anxious to get in a conference so we didn't dwell in Independent land, and would not be eligible to receive any shares at all. Absolutely.

As I pointed out in a post above (later than the post quoted here), the Bisonville information was incorrect. NDSU and SDSU agreed with the conference's position that they would not share in the proceeds the first two year's in the conference, but would get a 50% share (of a whole) in the third year, which is next year. It wouldn't have mattered whether NDSU or SDSU placed last in the conference.

That was part of the price of getting into an established conference, and wasn't unreasonable at all, and any hindsight as to whether we should have said "sorry, we're not interested in joining the Summit League, we will just wait for a better offer", is unacceptable IMHO. I'm glad we're in a league and will start sharing in the basketball share money next year, regardless of who goes to the NCAA championships. Congratulations to Gene Taylor and Fred Oien for getting us in!!

Comment

I think we had very ample negotiations in joining the Summit League. Schools that have been in the conference certainly had an interest in the money they were receiving, and bringing in new schools cuts their share. Were we anxious to get into a conference. ABSOLUTELY. Were we anxious to get in a conference so we didn't dwell in Independent land, and would not be eligible to receive any shares at all. Absolutely.

As I pointed out in a post above (later than the post quoted here), the Bisonville information was incorrect. NDSU and SDSU agreed with the conference's position that they would not share in the proceeds the first two year's in the conference, but would get a 50% share (of a whole) in the third year, which is next year. It wouldn't have mattered whether NDSU or SDSU placed last in the conference.

That was part of the price of getting into an established conference, and wasn't unreasonable at all, and any hindsight as to whether we should have said "sorry, we're not interested in joining the Summit League, we will just wait for a better offer", is unacceptable IMHO. I'm glad we're in a league and will start sharing in the basketball share money next year, regardless of who goes to the NCAA championships. Congratulations to Gene Taylor and Fred Oien for getting us in!!
        I am certain too, that everyone concerned about conference membership was anxious to make the SL a marriage, and now that its here it just seems that in hindsight we might have not have had to be as generous as we were in agreeing to three years with no revenue. If we had argued one year or two, would the Summit League have told us to take a hike? I dont think they would have, but we might be taking a risk that was not needed at the time. I not so sure the existing SL members would balked as they needed new members at the time and as we are finding out they do appreciate the draws of the Dakota Schools plus their academic standards and commitment to D1. The crowd draws have to be worth something in my opinion. My comment about better negiotiators was a pure hindsight comment. It was not intended as criticism of anyone who was involved three or four years ago. It was a bird in the hand versus a bird in the bush situation, when were were accepted in the SL.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          I am certain too, that everyone concerned about conference membership was anxious to make the SL a marriage, and now that its here it just seems that in hindsight we might have not have had to be as generous as we were in agreeing to three years with no revenue. If we had argued one year or two, would the Summit League have told us to take a hike?
          We argued for none, one year, or two, and wound up with TWO (not three as you said once again) with no revenue and 50% and scaled up for year 3 and beyond. Did the commissioner want us in...yes. But let me tell you that there were presidents (and athletic directors) who weren't so sure and in negotiations both sides have to agree, although it is probably exactly right if both sides are a little unhappy with the final result. My friend it is useless hindsight...period... to say we didn't press hard enough. OK, I've said enough, I will end my posts on this subject.

Comment

We argued for none, one year, or two, and wound up with TWO (not three as you said once again) with no revenue and 50% and scaled up for year 3 and beyond. Did the commissioner want us in...yes. But let me tell you that there were presidents (and athletic directors) who weren't so sure and in negotiations both sides have to agree, although it is probably exactly right if both sides are a little unhappy with the final result. My friend it is useless hindsight...period... to say we didn't press hard enough. OK, I've said enough, I will end my posts on this subject.
            Thanks for sharing what you know. At least we know a little more about what went on during this period. Also could the same doubting presidents and AD'S have an effect on USD admission to the SL? Unless some people have changed their minds or are no longer decision makers, USD may not be a slam dunk for the SL.

Comment

Apologies if some of the stuff I stated was wrong. I got the no money for three years figure from a Bisonville poster much more connected to the university than myself. I assumed it was correct. As for when exactly the NCAA payouts begin, I knew that this academic year was the first that we were eligible and that the different payouts have different pay dates; some in the fall, some winter, some spring/summer. Since I didn't feel like trying to track down every date and then determine whether NDSU or SDSU qualified for that particular payout(I don't have that info anyway), I erred on the side of caution and said last fall(08) rather than this spring/summer(09).

Just for fun(reading Bisonville these days makes a person want to gouge their eyes out), I updated my numbers from my previous post with the corrected info from Jacks#1Fan. Our schools will receive 8% of a full Summit school share from the 2005 tournament, 25% for 2006, 42% for 2007, 58% for 2008, 75% for 2009, 92% for 2010, and 100% from 2011 onward. If you wonder where those numbers come from, each conference share stays in the system for six years; in effect, it's worth 6 points over the six years. Since we're getting a 50% share of the total 2010 payout, we're getting a .5 share of 2005, a .5 share of 2006, and so on. In 2011, we'll be getting a full share of 2006, a full share of 2007, and so on. Add them all up, and you get .5 from 2005, 1.5 from 2006, 2.5 from 2007, and so on. Since each payout comes from 6 total years, you divide each fractional share by 6 to get the percentages in the first sentence. The numbers are correct as long as you're looking at them from the intended perspective.
              Last edited by Hammersmith; 03-18-2009, 08:27 PM. Reason: added stupid math stuff

Comment

Lakes is up $500 so far with tickets.

With NDSU at +10, Im hopin to take that $500 into $1200.

LETS GO LAKES!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lakesbison View Post
                  LETS GO LAKES!!
                  There's a phrase that's been heard at more than a few bars in Minnesota & North Dakota.

Never ends well for Lakes either.....

You know, he used to be 6'-1"

He's had a lot of crap pounded out of him......

Comment

Working...
                  X