Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD 09 Football Schedule

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
    If I agree with you on our first year schedule, would you then agree USD didn't stoop to your level year 2?
    I hardly think we had a weak schedule in year 2 with perennial powers Montana and Ga Southern.

Comment

Since I love numbers so much, I dug up the 2004, 2005 & 2008 GPI results so I could do an apples to apples comparison of the schedules.
      (Lower numbers are better.)
      Code:
      SDSU 2005 Schedule	 GPI	 GPI	USD 2009 Schedule
      (Final 2004 GPI)			(Final 2008 GPI)

Montana			 4.11	 3.13	Northern Iowa
      Georgia Southern 	 7.89	 8.75	Cal Poly
      Cal Poly 		12.33	23.75	Montana State
      North Dakota State 	19.89	39.25	UC Davis
      UC Davis 		27.33	42.00	Southern Utah
      Texas State 		33.44	42.63	North Dakota
      Southern Utah 		33.89	45.00	Southeastern Louisiana
      Northern Colorado 	49.22	54.63	Northern Colorado
      Valparaiso 		80.56	76.00	Drake
      UW-Lacrosse		88.67	88.50	William Penn
      Missouri-Rolla		88.67		

Average			40.55	42.36	Average
      DI-only Average		29.85	37.24	DI-only Average
      2005 GPI Average	40.38	??.??	2009 GPI Average
      Even with the 2nd non-DI dragging them down, the SDSU schedule was still marginally better than USD's. With the three non-DI games removed, there's a marked difference. Of course, we won't know exactly how good USD's schedule is until the end of the 2009 season, but this is as close to an apples to apples comparison as you can get.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakesbison View Post
        North Dakota State __ _____EVEN _____________ UND

THATS THE MOST IGNORANT THING I"VE SEEN ON THIS BOARD.

You forgot the caveat, "not posted by LakesBison."

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          I hardly think we had a weak schedule in year 2 with perennial powers Montana and Ga Southern.
          We most likely will not have a weak schedule until such a day comes along that we would play usd again.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
            Have to agree that SDSU had a slightly better 2nd year schedule. '05 NDSU is slightly better than '09 UND, '05 Montana is a fair bit better than '09 Montana State, and I think '05 Texas State is better than '09 SE Louisiana. I agree the rest are pretty equal. Maybe '09 UNI is better than '05 Georgia Southern, but that's canceled out by, say, UM vs. MSU. With SDSU playing 11 games to USD's 10, you gotta give a small nod to SDSU's schedule. It isn't a big enough difference for SDSU supporters to crow over, but it's enough that USD supporters can't hold it against them.
            This is about as good as you can put it. The games he didn't include were the ones where both teams played the same opponent(comparing Valpo-Drake and William Penn-Wisc La Crosse) and the extra game for SDSU. I think if USD added another game it would be against a "lower division" team. They both played the same number of FCS teams.
            SDSU had 7 games at Coughlin and 1 in S.F. where USD has just 5 home games. SDSU played a slightly tougher schedule to cancel out the extra home games.
            I'm too lazy to look it up but the 4 teams SDSU played that year(GSU, NDSU, Montana and Texas State) had a 34-17 record last year. I'm sure it was probably better back then but I don't know. USD's opponents for next year had a 24-15 record(last year). I didn't include UND because they didn't play a DI schedule last year.
            I can't speak for other posters but I took the talk about Georgia Southern that SDSU played them the first 2 years of transition. The 1st year SDSU played them and Southern while USD played Southern Oregon and Southeastern Louisiana.
            You can't argue them against FBS teams. I think USD will be playing 2 FBS teams before SDSU. That will make their schedule tougher but unless USD does something weird, they won't make the playoffs playing that schedule. SDSU will. I think SDSU has the balance where they play great games every week and have a chance at the playoffs. If USD plays 2 money games, they'll have it tough making the playoffs playing UIN, Cal-Poly, UC Davis and maybe 1 more tough game.
            Last edited by 91jack; 04-13-2009, 01:23 PM. Reason: It's UC Davis not Cal Davis

Comment

I think USD was so ill prepared for the transition and is so financially strapped it's all about generating dollars and not making the playoffs. The only way they can do that is to play FBS teams now which is why they had to ramp up the scholarships sooner than they can feasibly afford to do it financially and physically on the field. I certainly wished SDSU could have met the average football scholarship minimum sooner, but I think we took the prudent approach that insured we could pay for it and meet Title IX guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                This is about as good as you can put it. The games he didn't include were the ones where both teams played the same opponent(comparing Valpo-Drake and William Penn-Wisc La Crosse) and the extra game for SDSU. I think if USD added another game it would be against a "lower division" team. They both played the same number of FCS teams.
                SDSU had 7 games at Coughlin and 1 in S.F. where USD has just 5 home games. SDSU played a slightly tougher schedule to cancel out the extra home games.
                I'm too lazy to look it up but the 4 teams SDSU played that year(GSU, NDSU, Montana and Texas State) had a 34-17 record last year. I'm sure it was probably better back then but I don't know. USD's opponents for next year had a 24-15 record(last year). I didn't include UND because they didn't play a DI schedule last year.
                I can't speak for other posters but I took the talk about Georgia Southern that SDSU played them the first 2 years of transition. The 1st year SDSU played them and Southern while USD played Southern Oregon and Southeastern Louisiana.
                You can't argue them against FBS teams. I think USD will be playing 2 FBS teams before SDSU. That will make their schedule tougher but unless USD does something weird, they won't make the playoffs playing that schedule. SDSU will. I think SDSU has the balance where they play great games every week and have a chance at the playoffs. If USD plays 2 money games, they'll have it tough making the playoffs playing UIN, Cal-Poly, UC Davis and maybe 1 more tough game.

If you mean USD making the playoffs this year, then they won't since they aren't eligible. If your mean down the road after transition, then game on.

Comment

This is a discussion that can never be won or lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                    This is a discussion that can never be won or lost.
                    That was probably the smartest thing said in this entire thread because it is so true from both perspectives.
                    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                      Have to agree that SDSU had a slightly better 2nd year schedule. '05 NDSU is slightly better than '09 UND, '05 Montana is a fair bit better than '09 Montana State, and I think '05 Texas State is better than '09 SE Louisiana. I agree the rest are pretty equal. Maybe '09 UNI is better than '05 Georgia Southern, but that's canceled out by, say, UM vs. MSU. With SDSU playing 11 games to USD's 10, you gotta give a small nod to SDSU's schedule. It isn't a big enough difference for SDSU supporters to crow over, but it's enough that USD supporters can't hold it against them.

2010 the yotes play Central Florida and Minnesota in back to back weeks! Two nice paydays.

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
                        2010 the yotes play Central Florida and Minnesota in back to back weeks! Two nice paydays.
                        And two asskickings.

Wouldn't it be nicer to play an FBS team you have a chance against?? Oh wait, sorry, we're talking about USD here.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBisonator View Post
                          And two asskickings.

Wouldn't it be nicer to play an FBS team you have a chance against?? Oh wait, sorry, we're talking about USD here.

You might want to clean house at home before you smack on another board, even if you're doing a double bank shot smacking USD on this site.
                          http://www.inforum.com/event/article...91/group/home/

Those mug shots are painful
                          adding link with mug shots http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/237261/

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                            You might want to clean house at home before you smack on another board, even if you're doing a double bank shot smacking USD on this site.

I don't see how the two different issues are related at all. This seems a little gratuitous and lazy to me. Maybe someone can explain or make sense out of this shot?...

Comment

Bad smack. Not funny. (Sorry, NoVa . . . )
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

If you check out the thread on Bisonville you will find most want them booted or serverly punished for this, nobody is making excuses or defending them, its not a laughing matter Jose Mohler apparently has a problem with the sauce it is Shamens first offense but its a DUI these kids need help. I for one am extemely upset about this ordeal and would rather see them gone and provided help than risk being more of an embarrasment to the team.
                                BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Working...
                                X