X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMKC in Brookings

Originally posted by GBGBGJ View Post
    The girls won by around 30 GBGBGJ

I believe everyone on the team was old enough to vote in the last election. Also old enough to enter contracts. So why can't we refer to them as women? They are no longer juveniles. I sound picky, but they have reached majority for most things in life and have earned the right to be referred to as women. Ladies would be okay, but girls? nah unkind.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      I believe everyone on the team was old enough to vote in the last election. Also old enough to enter contracts. So why can't we refer to them as women? They are no longer juveniles. I sound picky, but they have reached majority for most things in life and have earned the right to be referred to as women. Ladies would be okay, but girls? nah unkind.
      I agree with you but I'll even admit that I sometimes refer to the female college teams as the girls team...

Comment

Re: 2008-09 Recruits

Originally posted by Chains View Post
        Shot clock is the best addition to basketball since the peach crate. I read a post or an article one day commenting on the reasons for a shot clock. It went something like this? Two kids talking about going to the gym to shot around - not a single BB player talks about going to the gym and passing the ball back and forth. I also think the shot clock allows players to show his or her skills by requiring players to be more offensive minded which can also motivate defensive efforts.

The AA schools in SD now have the shot clock. The reason I hear for not having the shot clock elsewhere is cost. The cost of installation and the cost to pay a person to manage it.

Big game in Volga a couple of nights ago between two power house boys teams. Sioux Valley and Madison 30 - 29 was the score. Get real. Get me a shot clock.

GBGBGJ
        How else was Sioux Valley going to stop our SDSU recruits from Madison! Play to your strengths, I guess!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          girls? nah unkind.
          I, OTOH, view 'girls' as the equivalent of 'guys' (seeings how 'dolls' is totally unacceptable).

So I consider calling the men's team the 'guys', as in 'if the guys can win one tonight....' to be equivalent to calling the women's team the 'girls'. It's an affectionate reference, not a negative reference.

It -is- true that 'girls' is also the equivalent of 'boys', however, I trust that context makes it quite clear that I respect these players as adults, and that I am not juvenalizing them.

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
            How else was Sioux Valley going to stop our SDSU recruits from Madison! Play to your strengths, I guess!
            From what I hear the two studs from Madison matched up pretty evenly with the two from SV (with lots of backside help both ways).

A shot clock would not have impacted this game much as each team took 37 shots (that's more than 2 per minute). The low score resulted more from low shooting percentages (32% and 29%) than a stalling effort by either team, although the high powered Madison Bulldogs did stall for a couple minutes in the fourth quarter to get SV out of a box-and-one type defense when they had a 30-27 lead. BTW, Chad White did not walk on water and went 1-7 from the charity stripe and 0-7 from the field.

For those in the Brookings area, I would recommend getting over to Volga to see Ben Miller play at least once this year. His typical stat sheet reads 20+ points, 10+ rebounds, 5+ assists, 3+ blocked shots, and 3+ steals. He will hold all time records at SV for career scoring, rebounding, and blocks when his high school career is done (and SV has had some pretty good players over the years). And, IMHO, he will always have one of the best single shots in State A tournament history for his 3rd quarter over-the-head buzzer beater against Lennox last year. Put Miller on the Dakota Schoolers for the last 2 years, and it would be very, very interesting to see where he is playing college bball.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

This was the first high school basketball I had ever seen in South Dakota, when they were holding the ball I said what the heck are they doing, I had no idea about the no shot clock in A ball , because here in Canada we have always had a shot clock in high school ball as far as I know in this city no matter what division small schools large schools they are all the same...so it was a different experience for me the crowd was very exciting though on both sides of the gym... great fans....

In High school and University now we have a 24 second shot clock and we have 8 secs to get it over the half court line, because we have gone to F.I.B.A rules.....

Comment

In consideration of being politically correct, maybe we should all just refer to the teams as male basketball and female basketball.

Wow, I don't know which is worse, that there has been several posts on this topic in a male basketball thread, or that I just got sucked in and posted too.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                  In consideration of being politically correct, maybe we should all just refer to the teams as male basketball and female basketball.

Wow, I don't know which is worse, that there has been several posts on this topic in a male basketball thread, or that I just got sucked in and posted too.
                  How about guys and gals ?

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                    How about guys and gals ?
                    Always a good combo!!!!

Please add more about the outstanding parting-of-the-sea ways of Moss. What a break out night for him. Of course, discussions about the game, and seniors night are welcome too.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      It's a matter of respect in this instance, not law. These aren't your sisters we're referring to here. Calling the men's basketball players "boys" diminishes them, suggesting they're small and weaker than "men". Same with the women.

Most newspapers agree with the AP stylebook which says that girl is acceptable until the age of 18 is reached. Then, young woman or woman is preferable. It's a matter of respect. Girl is a diminutive term, particularly when used by older people to refer to younger women.
                      Geez. Did you not see the post where I said that 'girls' is colloquially equivalent to both 'guys' and 'boys', and that context generally supplies the meaning? (and think about it: boys|girls, guys|??, men|women--if you were doing word association based on gender, what word would you supply opposite 'guys'?)

English is a remarkably flexible language, which means that it often needs to be read closely to determine intent.

It should be quite clear that my use of 'ladies', 'girls' and 'women' interchangeably indicates the opinion I have of these females, aged 18-22--and if you find it hard to determine my meaning by the choice of gender reference employed, why not read the whole rest of the post?

I mean it's not like we're talking about a word (say, 'gyp' to name one) that has an entirely negative connotation.

Instead, we're down to arguing from legal references and the AP style manual. Well, shoot, seeings how this is neither a newspaper nor a legal brief, please either opt to ignore my posts or suffer through the pain and indignity of seeing me refer to some of the best, smartest, and generally all-around level-headed, respectable, and well comported athletes playing womens' college basketball as 'girls' every now and then with the same implied affection and support that causes me to refer to Kai, Garrett, and co. as 'guys'.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                        if you were doing word association based on gender, what word would you supply opposite 'guys'?)
                        Gals.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          Gals.
                          Gals, IMO, sounds almost slatternly. I would take 'gal' (which is derived from 'girl', BTW) as an off-hand and dismissive reference, if no other context was supplied.

And I wouldn't be surprised if a usage survey showed a generational gap in connotation and association for 'gal'.

Although I could more easily bring myself to say, "the guys in accounting" than either "the girls in accounting" or "the gals in accounting" I would be more inclined to say, "Some of the women over in accounting sent a card to Joan" than either 'gals' or 'girls', although if it were generally a group of women in their 20s and early 30s, I could see myself saying, "Some of the girls in accounting...."

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                            Gals, IMO, sounds almost slatternly. I would take 'gal' (which is derived from 'girl', BTW) as an off-hand and dismissive reference, if no other context was supplied.

And I wouldn't be surprised if a usage survey showed a generational gap in connotation and association for 'gal'.

Although I could more easily bring myself to say, "the guys in accounting" than either "the girls in accounting" or "the gals in accounting" I would be more inclined to say, "Some of the women over in accounting sent a card to Joan" than either 'gals' or 'girls', although if it were generally a group of women in their 20s and early 30s, I could see myself saying, "Some of the girls in accounting...."
                            People. Let's move on!

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                              People. Let's move on!
                              I agree. I am the fool that brought it up and now I regret it.

Comment

"slatternly" ? LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X