New Arena at USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Arena at USD

A new basketball arena at USD in the next decade or so is pretty much a no-brainer. I'd expect a 5-6,000 seat facility along the basic lines of the McLeod Center at UNI--and for exactly the same reasons UNI built it.

The only difficulty is securing the funding--much like SDSU's need to upgrade Coughlin-Alumni, I would think. Everybody knows it's needed, it's just a matter of time and money.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Maybe till an new center is built at the U they could schedule doubleheaders with their archrivals over at Mount Marty at the Laddie Cimple Arena or Center whatever its called.

Comment

Better yet would be a triple-header at VHS with the 'Yotes playing at 3:00, VHS JV at 5:30, and the VHS Varsity at 7:30. That'd be a pretty darn good day of ball there. Hot dogs, apple pie, Udot, and VHS!

I'm sure they could talk the VHS Band into learning the USD Fight Song and they would be an upgrade!

You could call the event Dumpfest since you would be dumping the Dump.

Take notes Udot fans, this is really good stuff I'm giving you!

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
          Maybe till an new center is built at the U they could schedule doubleheaders with their archrivals over at Mount Marty at the Laddie Cimple Arena or Center whatever its called.
          heck get it oked with the Federal Prision and play a double header with the Yankton College alum at Nash Gymnasium....

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
            Not smacking at all here, but for your guys' sake, I hope it isn't that long. The atmosphere as a basketball arena certainly lacks in the dome for the fans that sit way up in the nosebleeds. Can't really say the same for Frost, IMO. Not a bad seat in the house. Hope plans come together faster than 20 years down the road, especially if we end up in the same conference.
            I have to disagree about Frost. After the new student section was put in, the seats above the students are not good. Having to stand and still a hard time seeing most of the court. Also the top blue seats on the very sides in the front few rows are not real good either. Granted every seat there is better then the Dump. I can't believe they have athletes who like to play anything there, football or basketball. I felt frost lost some of its magic when the new seating was put in with the new baskets. Not as many seats close to the floor, the hanging baskets left a better sight line before all the changes. Now people do not want to sit behind the baskets because its hard to see. When the bleachers where to the ground you could see under the baskets. Im sure most people will argue with my thoughts but to bad, its my opinion.

On a serious note. If I remember correctly they have been removing a lot of the trailors south of the Dump. what are the plans to go in that area? I was guessin on a sports arena of some kind, mainly a basketball center. To bad for those trailors though, I thought they were some of the nicer houses in the verm area. Or is that area south of the Dome slated for other development?
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Who cares, it's the DUMP but rumor has it that they will use it for grain overflow.

Comment

I made it over to the farm show at the DakotaDome yesterday and they have upgraded things a bit. It actually didn't look that bad inside, hard to tell with all the booths set up. The concourse is cramped and tiny and really needs some kind of upgrade, not sure what they could do though. I'm not advising that people make a special trip to see the dome but I think it is probably a better venue for FB than the "old Dump".

There are only about 3 trailers left just to the south of the dome. I had heard the new basketball facility would be built there.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  I have to disagree about Frost. After the new student section was put in, the seats above the students are not good.
                  They have a plan to add new bleachers above the students. They'll be elevated like the student bleachers.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    They have a plan to add new bleachers above the students. They'll be elevated like the student bleachers.
                    Wonderful. it is needed. Anytime frame on that or is that just on the to do list? is it going to lessen seating more or with the new doors are they going to be able to open up the sides again all the way?
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      I made it over to the farm show at the DakotaDome yesterday and they have upgraded things a bit. It actually didn't look that bad inside, hard to tell with all the booths set up. The concourse is cramped and tiny and really needs some kind of upgrade, not sure what they could do though. I'm not advising that people make a special trip to see the dome but I think it is probably a better venue for FB than the "old Dump".

There are only about 3 trailers left just to the south of the dome. I had heard the new basketball facility would be built there.
                      Was in there for state HS football. Sat in one of the boxes. If you don't have to go out to the can or get something to drink, it is OK. Like MD said, the concourses are very small and cramped...What the hell, I don't don't care about Udot, why am I posting here?

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        Wonderful. it is needed. Anytime frame on that or is that just on the to do list? is it going to lessen seating more or with the new doors are they going to be able to open up the sides again all the way?
                        No idea. Fred just took me in there one day last year and told me that was the next thing they wanted to do in Frost.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          No idea. Fred just took me in there one day last year and told me that was the next thing they wanted to do in Frost.
                          My understanding is the south section above the students will be elevated and chairback like the north side to encourage more season tickets. The new bleachers would be on the upper ends.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            My understanding is the south section above the students will be elevated and chairback like the north side to encourage more season tickets. The new bleachers would be on the upper ends.
                            This is what I was told as well. Source seemed credible to me. No idea on the time line.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                              That would work but USD would want a 2 games home for one on the road!

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post

So were there a lot of basketball and football recruits walking around! Getting a feel of what the facilty is really used for?

Comment

Working...
                                X