Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spanked By a Bunch of Elephants

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
    I can't argue a whole lot with that but I don't think the size of Fargo is making a difference in D1 that wasn't doing the same in D2. NDSU didn't do much in mens basketball when they were D2 and they still were located in Fargo so I don't think that factor means much now that they are D1. I still think it's mainly coaching and somewhat player talent but coaching recruits and assesses talent so I think coaching is the single most important aspect to a program. That is unless the talent discrepency is great in what one like program gets vs another. I dont think what NDSU has done in basketball is out of this world or anything. It's good but not really good like the SDSU Women's program. USD can certainly do what NDSU is doing right now. That doesn't mean they will but certainly could. Being 2nd or 3rd in the Summit is decent but not unattainable.
    For NDSU going DI was the big deal, recruits didn't want to come here to play DII basketball. Just look at Woodside, Nelson, and Winks...without DI they most likely are not here right now. Going DI also gave the program some new footing, by helping to create some interest in the program because DII basketball is basically an afterthought around here.

Miles also deserves credit, because he laid the foundation with his plan and recruiting but just moving DI gave the program the new life it needed.

As for what we have done, win at Wisconsin and Marquette and than give me a call. Keep in mind that I'm not even asking you to do it in back to back years.

As for Fargo, I don't know what the impact is but I'm sure it is a ways down on the list(coaches, academics, facilities, tradition are all a bit more important).
    Last edited by FargoBison; 01-03-2009, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
      For NDSU going DI was the big deal, recruits didn't want to come here to play DII basketball. Just look at Woodside, Nelson, and Winks...without DI they most likely are not here right now. Going DI also gave the program some new footing, by helping to create some interest in the program because DII basketball is basically an afterthought around here.

Miles also deserves credit, because he laid the foundation with his plan and recruiting but just moving DI gave the program the new life it needed.

As for what we have done, win at Wisconsin and Marquette and than give me a call. Keep in mind that I'm not even asking you to do it in back to back years.

As for Fargo, I don't know what the impact is but I'm sure it is a ways down on the list(coaches, academics, facilities, tradition are all a bit more important).
      I can agree with that. I was never really a fan of Tim Miles. I don't know why either. But he sure was a great coach and he deserves a ton of credit.

And Yote Fans: Nothin hurt on the wrestling/baseball thing. Just had to add something to it. I actually wish SDSU had fewer sports. But baseball and wrestling are not two of them.

Comment

Short addition regarding NDSU men's basketball:

I think a major reason we've succeeded to date is because the program was basically rebooted in 2004-05. New coach, new system, new players. If we had tried to evolve from the past, I think we would have failed. The jump to DI in MBB is so steep, that it's probably better to start from scratch in most cases rather than try to improve your program using smaller steps. It's also probably one of the only sports where this is true; the talent curve isn't nearly so steep in other sports. We basically did the same in volleyball and are doing the same in women's basketball, but neither of those were by choice.

It's very late night/very early morning and I should be asleep* so take the above with a grain of salt.

*f-ing Guitar Hero

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
          Short addition regarding NDSU men's basketball:

I think a major reason we've succeeded to date is because the program was basically rebooted in 2004-05. New coach, new system, new players. If we had tried to evolve from the past, I think we would have failed. The jump to DI in MBB is so steep, that it's probably better to start from scratch in most cases rather than try to improve your program using smaller steps. It's also probably one of the only sports where this is true; the talent curve isn't nearly so steep in other sports. We basically did the same in volleyball and are doing the same in women's basketball, but neither of those were by choice.

It's very late night/very early morning and I should be asleep* so take the above with a grain of salt.

*f-ing Guitar Hero
          I do agree with the notion of starting over from scratch can sometimes be the best way to go. With Nagy having such a reputation he would have had to practically take a stick of dynamite to Frost Arena to get fired due to his past success. Boots might have the same type of rope that Nagy has. I would hope that if the Yotes struggle and continue that way for 4+ years that it would be the end of the line for him.
          How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Working...
          X