Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD > Sw Min St > SDSU

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
    Although I remember the rivalry fondly, it's permanently broken. I doubt if USD would draw any better than Centenary. You could possibly get 2000 in there, certainly nowhere in the range of NDSU. The good old days are best forgotten. No one other than a few old timers like me gives a crap about USD-- never will, either.

I usually don't like to enter into smack but I find this especially annoying. Back to your own board. Hopefully SDSU fans will stop posting there as well. IT IS DEAD-- GET IT?
    Being a student that has never been around for the USD/SDSU games (also from MN), I truly believe the game would draw a croud as big as NDSU. I think to say otherwise is just completely wrong. The guys and girls basketball games would probably be sold out and the football game would be 15-18+ thousand at CAS.

I know we've had this discussion over and over but the game would draw a large crowd.

Comment

I bet most of your fellow students could care less.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
        Being a student that has never been around for the USD/SDSU games (also from MN), I truly believe the game would draw a croud as big as NDSU. I think to say otherwise is just completely wrong. The guys and girls basketball games would probably be sold out and the football game would be 15-18+ thousand at CAS.

I know we've had this discussion over and over but the game would draw a large crowd.

Hmm I too am a student at SDSU that has never been part of a USD/SDSU game nor do I wish to be. 15-18+ at CAS for the USD game?? Are you on crack?? I just did a little research, the last game at CAS between the two schools, in 2002, drew a little over 5000 but that was after Hobo Day, so I went back two years before when they played, a little over 6000. So to recap, two games draws a little over 11,000. Some more research shows that the last time a game against USD drew over 16,000 people was in 1985, 23 years ago. Heck the last time they played was at the Dome and there was a little over 8,600, granted it was at the Dome but I think you get my point.

The all time record for fans was at the NDSU game two years ago, when 16,345 people came to the game, a large amount of them being Bison fans. You are expecting 18,000+ for a SDSU/USD game?? where are they going to sit? Does USD have that many fans to bring to the game? You are delusional if you thing 15-18 thousand+ are going to show up. It's not going to happen. It won't draw as big as crowd as NDSU games and that's for one reason and one reason only, it's called NDSU fans. USD doesn't have the following NDSU has. Period.

If you think 15-18 thousand + will show up for a game at CAS between SDSU and USD, you probably think the schools could make a million bucks playing a game in Sioux Falls, right? Oh, wait...

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
          USD's best player, Dylan Grimsley, is a senior. So is Jesse Becker, who might be the Coyoties' second best player. Steve Smith, the tallest player, also will be gone. So will Mitch Begeman and Rane Mergen. They amount to a heavy loss for a mediocre team.

You obviously don't follow USD basketball, either that or you just don't know basketball. Cain is probably the best player on the Yotes, no actually he is the best player. I wouldn't even consider Grimsley in the top 3 actually. Becker may or may not be #2 but as of late he is playing like it. If I had to pick 3 players on the Yotes to hold over for another year I would choose Cain, Krogman and Becker or Gentry.

As far as USD vs SDSU, anyone that thinks eiher team is definately double digits better than the other (on average) is probably smoking one strong pipe. One win over Iowa State does not suddenly make SDSU 20 points better than the Yotes. In all sincerity I don't believe either team is very good right now.
          How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

"Some more research shows that the last time a game against USD drew over 16,000 people was in 1985, 23 years ago."

Then I suspect that for some reason, about a quarter of a century ago, both schools allowed a series that was special to lose value for what ever reason. That's a clear lessening of a pretty significant asset---by both sides I bet-- but it's also water that long ago passed under the bridge. You can't go back again, I think.... let's leave it alone. No one today (other than one poll respondent out of 50+) cares much about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
              "Some more research shows that the last time a game against USD drew over 16,000 people was in 1985, 23 years ago."

Then I suspect that for some reason, about a quarter of a century ago, both schools allowed a series that was special to lose value for what ever reason. That's a clear lessening of a pretty significant asset---by both sides I bet-- but it's also water that long ago passed under the bridge. You can't go back again, I think.... let's leave it alone. No one today (other than one poll respondent out of 50+) cares much about this.
              Either that or it means there wasn't any significant game between the two teams. I don't think either SDSU or USD were ever significant contenders for any football championships after that year. I think people tend to remember the occasional big crowds ('85 football, late 90's/early 00's basketball) alot more than they remember the more average games between the schools. Its always more fun remembering big games than average ones, and thats what people focus on when they want to renew the rivalry.

In reality, I think an SDSU/USD football game would probably draw around 14-15k in the first year in Brookings. Then, if one or both teams weren't highly ranked in following years the attendance would drop to 7-8k in Vermillion or 11-12k in Brookings, depending on the time of year it was played. Just like any other game, the "rivalry" itself won't sell out the games. Meaningful games will sell out the games.

With both of our men's basketball teams struggling in DI, I have a hard time believing there would be anything close to a sellout (other than maybe the very first game) for SDSU/USD basketball games. With .500 teams I think we'd get an attendance boost, but nothing like the 5-6,000 people remember from the 90's when both teams were highly ranked.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                Hmm I too am a student at SDSU that has never been part of a USD/SDSU game nor do I wish to be. 15-18+ at CAS for the USD game?? Are you on crack?? I just did a little research, the last game at CAS between the two schools, in 2002, drew a little over 5000 but that was after Hobo Day, so I went back two years before when they played, a little over 6000. So to recap, two games draws a little over 11,000. Some more research shows that the last time a game against USD drew over 16,000 people was in 1985, 23 years ago. Heck the last time they played was at the Dome and there was a little over 8,600, granted it was at the Dome but I think you get my point.

The all time record for fans was at the NDSU game two years ago, when 16,345 people came to the game, a large amount of them being Bison fans. You are expecting 18,000+ for a SDSU/USD game?? where are they going to sit? Does USD have that many fans to bring to the game? You are delusional if you thing 15-18 thousand+ are going to show up. It's not going to happen. It won't draw as big as crowd as NDSU games and that's for one reason and one reason only, it's called NDSU fans. USD doesn't have the following NDSU has. Period.

If you think 15-18 thousand + will show up for a game at CAS between SDSU and USD, you probably think the schools could make a million bucks playing a game in Sioux Falls, right? Oh, wait...
                Well I'll say this without all the stupid and childish remarks towards you. I actually thought the record was 18000 something at CAS for a football game. So I'll take it back and I'll say 15-16 thousand for the game between SDSU/USD. My main statement was just that Grizzled Jack didn't think it would draw better than the Centenary game and I thought that wasn't a true statement. Fair? Grow up.

Comment

Well I'll say this without all the stupid and childish remarks towards you. I actually thought the record was 18000 something at CAS for a football game. So I'll take it back and I'll say 15-16 thousand for the game between SDSU/USD. My main statement was just that Grizzled Jack didn't think it would draw better than the Centenary game and I thought that wasn't a true statement. Fair? Grow up.
                  I still disagree with you, the main reason there was so many people at the NDSU game was because of the fans NDSU brought down. I said maybe 3 things that insulted you, I came with facts the rest of the time.

I'm sticking to my point, it won't be anywhere close to the 15 thousand range

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                    Either that or it means there wasn't any significant game between the two teams. I don't think either SDSU or USD were ever significant contenders for any football championships after that year. I think people tend to remember the occasional big crowds ('85 football, late 90's/early 00's basketball) alot more than they remember the more average games between the schools. Its always more fun remembering big games than average ones, and thats what people focus on when they want to renew the rivalry.

In reality, I think an SDSU/USD football game would probably draw around 14-15k in the first year in Brookings. Then, if one or both teams weren't highly ranked in following years the attendance would drop to 7-8k in Vermillion or 11-12k in Brookings, depending on the time of year it was played. Just like any other game, the "rivalry" itself won't sell out the games. Meaningful games will sell out the games.

With both of our men's basketball teams struggling in DI, I have a hard time believing there would be anything close to a sellout (other than maybe the very first game) for SDSU/USD basketball games. With .500 teams I think we'd get an attendance boost, but nothing like the 5-6,000 people remember from the 90's when both teams were highly ranked.
                    Mango: I finally read what was underneath what you wrote and this is a great statement involving the rivalry by Jack02. I agree with basically everything in this post involving the attendance.

I won't fault you for your opinion or anyone else's opinion for that matter. Save your insults for the Yotes or Bison.

Comment

Mango: I finally read what was underneath what you wrote and this is a great statement involving the rivalry by Jack02. I agree with basically everything in this post involving the attendance.

I won't fault you for your opinion or anyone else's opinion for that matter. Save your insults for the Yotes or Bison.
                      I agree with Jacks02 too. The only reason there were so many people that were at the NDSU football game 2 years ago was because it was for a conference championship and NDSU brought down an absolute ton of people, I don't think USD will do that

Comment

Nevermind I'm done. I've spent a months time on here tonight already.

But you did say you agreed with Jack 02?

"In reality, I think an SDSU/USD football game would probably draw around 14-15k in the first year in Brookings."

Contradictive from your first post.

Comment

Nevermind I'm done. I've spent a months time on here tonight already.

But you did say you agreed with Jack 02?

"In reality, I think an SDSU/USD football game would probably draw around 14-15k in the first year in Brookings."

Contradictive from your first post.
                          Sorry I skipped that part. I still don't think it will draw 15 thousand even if it is the first game, if it would, 12-13 thousand would have to be Jacks fans cuz I don't think USD will bring more than 3 thousand.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post

So you think that USD-SDSU would draw 7-8K in Vermillion. I would suppose if they banned all SDSU fans from attending that might be a little closer but it would still be on the low end. I guess that number would fall right into the average attandence for what USD had in 2007 (2008 isn't a good gauge because of having only one attractive home game on the schedule). If you are going to compare USD game attendance at Coughlin vs NDSU attendance make sure you also show what the attendance was against NDSU in the D2 days as well. USD would bring as many fans to Coughlin as NDSU. USD had at least 4,000 fans to one of their recent games against Augie in Sioux Falls. I am sure they would have at least that many show up in Brookings.
                            How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Your not on the schedule, your not going to be on the schedule (Football), for now. I can't wait to see the U bring their 4000+ fans to Coughlin for the one game that matters to them, NOT! We don't measure our success by beating the U, we have bigger fish to fry.

Grow up, move on and quit using us as your measuring stone. Start measuring your programs for accomplishments other than beating State once a year and your ticker will feel much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                                So you think that USD-SDSU would draw 7-8K in Vermillion. I would suppose if they banned all SDSU fans from attending that might be a little closer but it would still be on the low end. I guess that number would fall right into the average attandence for what USD had in 2007 (2008 isn't a good gauge because of having only one attractive home game on the schedule). If you are going to compare USD game attendance at Coughlin vs NDSU attendance make sure you also show what the attendance was against NDSU in the D2 days as well. USD would bring as many fans to Coughlin as NDSU. USD had at least 4,000 fans to one of their recent games against Augie in Sioux Falls. I am sure they would have at least that many show up in Brookings.

Comment

Working...
                                X