Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Its official ND 60 USeD 30

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Okay, Coyote Fan, we know you're reading this stuff. I read the smack threads more out of duty than for "enjoyment". So, Coyote Fan, you claim to be objective, just telling us the facts. What's your objective assessment about this early stage in the Coyotes' transition? Weren't you one who laughed pretty hard at the Jackrabbits?
    If you are talking about Mens Basketball I have never seen a Dave Boots coached team regress as much as the team did last year. Two years ago the team rose very fast from limited expectations. They were the most impressive NCC team for most of the year and ended up sharing the conference title. That team would have most likely beaten SDSU that year. Dave Boots has never won an NCC title where he failed to back it up with a repeat since he has been coach at USD. Last year was the first instance where the Yotes didn't do that under his guidance. The team didn't improve in the off season and kind of regressed by default. The team consistancy has been a major problem. When they play good they are very good but they don't play good very often for very long anymore. The downfall of this current team was long underway before the transition started. The football team followed much the same path. They undertook a major step backwards in their last year of D2 resulting in me having some added doubts.

At this point in time I have a few doubts about some things. For some reason the team chemistry on the mens basketball team just doesn't seem quite right. There doesn't really seem to be an inspirational leader and the teams plays flat often because of it. As much as Josh Mueller was hated by opponents he was a driving force behind getting the entire team to play better. He made the whole team better by his play. I don't see that type of player on the team this year. The gaurd play is probably the single biggest weakness especially considering that there doesn't seem to be a true point gaurd to run the offense. Team depth has been an issue for a long time under Boots which definately comes into play as well. The next 2-3 years will be the make it or break it as to whether Boots will be able to make this a decent mid major D1 program.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Coyote Fan's view may be pretty accurate. If so, the Coyotes may suffer through some tough times not unlike our Jackrabbits. It's painful for a fan to watch.

After the Notre Dame game last evening, I heard an ESPN announcer make reference to the game, mispronouncing Coyotes by added "Tees" to the end rather than ending with "Yote". It'll take a while.

Comment

I think we'll look back from 10 years and say that the aberration was not that USD and SDSU's struggled to find their footing in men's basketball--it was that NDSU had the remarkable success out of the gate that they experienced. What SDSU has gone through (and what USD is looking at) is by far the norm for programs that move up to D-I.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
          If you are talking about Mens Basketball I have never seen a Dave Boots coached team regress as much as the team did last year. Two years ago the team rose very fast from limited expectations. They were the most impressive NCC team for most of the year and ended up sharing the conference title. That team would have most likely beaten SDSU that year. Dave Boots has never won an NCC title where he failed to back it up with a repeat since he has been coach at USD. Last year was the first instance where the Yotes didn't do that under his guidance. The team didn't improve in the off season and kind of regressed by default. The team consistancy has been a major problem. When they play good they are very good but they don't play good very often for very long anymore. The downfall of this current team was long underway before the transition started. The football team followed much the same path. They undertook a major step backwards in their last year of D2 resulting in me having some added doubts.

At this point in time I have a few doubts about some things. For some reason the team chemistry on the mens basketball team just doesn't seem quite right. There doesn't really seem to be an inspirational leader and the teams plays flat often because of it. As much as Josh Mueller was hated by opponents he was a driving force behind getting the entire team to play better. He made the whole team better by his play. I don't see that type of player on the team this year. The gaurd play is probably the single biggest weakness especially considering that there doesn't seem to be a true point gaurd to run the offense. Team depth has been an issue for a long time under Boots which definately comes into play as well. The next 2-3 years will be the make it or break it as to whether Boots will be able to make this a decent mid major D1 program.
          With any luck it would take just 2-3 years. We were under that impression also but did not quite go as planned. Your right about that mueller kid, and i am one of those that hated him. Like at a game in the Dump when he completely undercut Hansen on a steal going for a layup with no foul call. He got away with everything. Atleast thats what it looked like from our suck job seats in the Dump. You guys got a guy who i think will be able to hang well in Krogman, hes got skills. Hopefully he doesnt get courted away by aother team like what USD did as D-2 with most of its basketball players recruiting them to transfer. Atlseast it seems that way.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            Coyote Fan's view may be pretty accurate. If so, the Coyotes may suffer through some tough times not unlike our Jackrabbits. It's painful for a fan to watch.

After the Notre Dame game last evening, I heard an ESPN announcer make reference to the game, mispronouncing Coyotes by added "Tees" to the end rather than ending with "Yote". It'll take a while.
            Plenty of announcers did that in D2 so I'm not surprised.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
              They played tough against Cornell. And if you honestly don't think they are a talented D2 team you are kidding yourself. I mean look at the roster objectively. Louie could have gone D1 at a lot of other schools and I'm sure SDSU would love to have him leading their offense. Imagine him running the point with Callahan and Kai. Tyler Cain is a beast. Dylan Grimsley is also a stud. The rest are solid D2 players.

Like I stated in my post before, they have not been playing well at all and need to start putting together some better games.

But honestly if you think calling them a talented D2 team is a big stretch you need to take off the blue and yellow colored glasses.
              Hey, I'm just playing devils advocate here.
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post

Welcome to transition my flea-bitten friend. You could just about replace the names above with the equivalent from SDSU and written this article about our first year in transition. It sucks big time!!!

Guess what else, you won't make it a decent mid-major D1 program during transition because you don't have a conference and even if you win you aren't eligible for anything. That part is not smack, it is what we had to go through and it is the worst!

Here's what Boots has to tell a recruit:

1. We'd sure love to have you.
                2. We're excited about our schedule at D1. We get to play a few D1 teams but we mixed in some NAIA and D2 teams so that we can feel a little better about our record.
                3. We're going to be on the road a ton so you will get a chance to see the country. Have I told you about some of the great bus trips the football team took? Wow, special times that you'll never forget!
                4. We're not in a conference right now so getting home games on a weekend is just about impossible.
                5. Even if we do win, we're not eligible for post season.
                6. Did you know we call ourselves the "Harvard of the Plains."
                7. Let me take you over to our multi-use facility and show you where we play. Shoot, I didn't realize the farm show is here this week. BTW, do you like those multi-colored seats? Got 'em on Ebay! Our attendance in here is outstanding, we always count the people and the roaches to get an accurate number. Well, let's run over to the high school and I'll show you our cozy 2nd home.
                8. Now that you've seen the campus, let's take a drive around lovely Vermillion!
                9. That's pretty much it. We'd love to have you on our team!

Okay, so maybe that part is smack. A lot of truth there but smack nonetheless. It is a smack thread isn't it?

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                  7. Let me take you over to our multi-use facility and show you where we play. Shoot, I didn't realize the farm show is here this week. BTW, do you like those multi-colored seats? Got 'em on Ebay!
                  GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                  Anything that makes me laugh out loud deserves rep points! Good work!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    I think we'll look back from 10 years and say that the aberration was not that USD and SDSU's struggled to find their footing in men's basketball--it was that NDSU had the remarkable success out of the gate that they experienced. What SDSU has gone through (and what USD is looking at) is by far the norm for programs that move up to D-I.
                    This post shouldn't be in smack...it is absolutely true.

Comment

Dick Vitale was just smacking on USD during the UNC-Michigan State game. They were talking about the Notre Dame game and the unbelievable amount of 3's that ND made.

He downplayed the effort by Notre Dame by saying, "COME ON, it was against South Dakota, SOUTH DAKOTA". Funny Stuff!!! He also noted that USD is in their first year of transistion. I'm suprised by how much Dicky V. knows.

Remember pup fans, any publicity is good publicity.
                      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                        Dick Vitale was just smacking on USD during the UNC-Michigan State game. They were talking about the Notre Dame game and the unbelievable amount of 3's that ND made.

He downplayed the effort by Notre Dame by saying, "COME ON, it was against South Dakota, SOUTH DAKOTA". Funny Stuff!!! He also noted that USD is in their first year of transistion. I'm suprised by how much Dicky V. knows.

Remember pup fans, any publicity is good publicity.
                        Yes it was Dicky who was so amazed that Mark Tetzlaff came from a town of Hayti SD and only 600 people. That goes back to the 1985 D2 final game which included Dicky as part of the broadcast team on ESPN. Not as famous then. So Dicky probably is aware that there is USD and their is SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          Yes it was Dicky who was so amazed that Mark Tetzlaff came from a town of Hayti SD and only 600 people. That goes back to the 1985 D2 final game which included Dicky as part of the broadcast team on ESPN. Not as famous then. So Dicky probably is aware that there is USD and their is SDSU.

Does anybody know of a way that these old broadcasts can be viewed? Would ESPN have the broadcast rights, or would the NCAA own them?
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            The only time there have been 600 people in Hayti is during a Hamlin basketball or football game before they took a nosedive or during a street dance. Try 300 people Dicky V.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              The only time there have been 600 people in Hayti is during a Hamlin basketball or football game before they took a nosedive or during a street dance. Try 300 people Dicky V.
                              In all fairness to Dicky, I can not remember the exact number he said for Hayti, it no doubt was a smaller number the media guide may have used the 1980 census. I just thought it was kind of funny.

In my mind I always thought Hayti to be of substance since it had more people than Sinai and was a county seat. Yeah I heard about the old Lake Norden-Hayti rivilry. It was brutal.

Also one of the Jucos on the 1985 team had went to the same high school as Isaiah Thomas, gee Dicky found that of interest. I want to say it Warlow, I was not following the Jacks back then very closely.
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 12-04-2008, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                                Does anybody know of a way that these old broadcasts can be viewed? Would ESPN have the broadcast rights, or would the NCAA own them?

I believe a number of fans VCR'd this game. I dont have a copy. I remember living in suburban Chicago and knew the game was going to be on ESPN, late. I was napping on my couch and woke up just in time for the game, and beyond that I can't remember much. Whether ESPN has archives, I do not know.

Comment

Working...
                                X