Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POST defeats U

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
    LETS GO IRISH.....LETS GO IRISH. im a notre dame fan and a coyote hater so it works out great tonight.
    I hear ya on that one!

Comment

Final: ND 102 USD 76...ouch!

Comment

A couple of observations of the game. USD played zone because it was the lesser of two evils. I don't always support the zone but in a game like this ya have to choose a poison and outside shooting was the lethal drug. USD would not have matched up at all in a man to man defense tonight. Against similar teams athletically maybe but Notre Dame would have taken advantage of their matchups and just beaten USD one on one. Notre Dame is #7 in the nation and looked like it. I don't think many teams in the country would have beaten the Irish the way they played. Even in an ungaurded three point shooting contest teams/players will not hit 9-11 from the outside very often. There was really nothing USD could have done. Notre Dame just decided to take them out early and leave no doubt. Not many transitioning teams can beat top 10 teams and not many can stay in games with them either. Really not much can be made from this game. USD has to play a team more similar to their ability level to truley judge.
        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
          A couple of observations of the game. USD played zone because it was the lesser of two evils. I don't always support the zone but in a game like this ya have to choose a poison and outside shooting was the lethal drug. USD would not have matched up at all in a man to man defense tonight. Against similar teams athletically maybe but Notre Dame would have taken advantage of their matchups and just beaten USD one on one. Notre Dame is #7 in the nation and looked like it. I don't think many teams in the country would have beaten the Irish the way they played. Even in an ungaurded three point shooting contest teams/players will not hit 9-11 from the outside very often. There was really nothing USD could have done. Notre Dame just decided to take them out early and leave no doubt. Not many transitioning teams can beat top 10 teams and not many can stay in games with them either. Really not much can be made from this game. USD has to play a team more similar to their ability level to truley judge.
          So. if there are any Jr. High teams that want to scrimmage, the pups wants to know where they are at.
          Last edited by 1bunnies; 12-03-2008, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
            NOTE: Zones don't work for long in D1. Some teams use them in stretches. Few teams use them as much as USD. There are just too many good shooters out there. I predict the Coyotes will see an awful lot of threes this year... at least in their four or five D1 games.

Better to man up and make teams work for points than to let them rain in threes over your zone defense for the entire game.

By the way, get used to being the smaller, less athletic team. At this level, you have to find a way to win anyway. Maybe now you are beginning to understand why the jump from D2 to D1 in men's basketball is the biggest change in transition.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I know USD has lost some games this year that they should not have lost, but they have a lot of quality talent on this team. They need to get use to travel as we are still trying to do and just play hard. Why Knock on Krogman, we would IMO have taken him with open arms along with several other players on their roster when they came out of High School!

They will begin to lose some talent during transition, after this year and then the real process begins!

All you can do is cheer on your team!

Go JAcks

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                NOTE: Zones don't work for long in D1. Some teams use them in stretches. Few teams use them as much as USD. There are just too many good shooters out there. I predict the Coyotes will see an awful lot of threes this year... at least in their four or five D1 games.

Better to man up and make teams work for points than to let them rain in threes over your zone defense for the entire game.

By the way, get used to being the smaller, less athletic team. At this level, you have to find a way to win anyway. Maybe now you are beginning to understand why the jump from D2 to D1 in men's basketball is the biggest change in transition.

I bet Syracuse would disagree with the zone comment, that is all they play and when teams don't see it that often sometimes it causes problems! ND is just a good shooting team and we need to play more like them.

However, it is the hardest jump in any of the major college sports!

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
                  I bet Syracuse would disagree with the zone comment, that is all they play and when teams don't see it that often sometimes it causes problems! ND is just a good shooting team and we need to play more like them.

Yeah, what kind of athletes does Syracuse have? Does USD have any 6'6" guards playing on the perimeter? Syracuse usually has a couple of those.

Syracuse is the only top program I know of that plays zone, and it's Jim Boeheim's trademark. When you guys get a Carmelo Anthony, you can play zone and win. Until then, you're going to lose playing zone all the time at this level. The guard play is just too good.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post

With the extended 3 point line its only going to open up more spaces for teams to find room for the 3. With SDSU we made an emphsis on trying to get more outside shots. I think part of that was personel dicision because thats what we have more of with not much for an inside figure yet. Defending the 3 should be a teams priority with the new line i think. Make um put it on the floor and try to drive or dish. Man 2 man help recover D would be a good way to go if you ask me. Or from my Y ball teams defense, as we liked to call 2-2-Todd. Basically a zone 2 up and 2 down and Todd the crazy cafinee freak on our team was constantly following the ball. it seemed to work well but that was high school Y league stuff.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post

If any body watched Duke beat Purdue last night, thats a good example of man and help D if you ask me. I know not everyone loves Duke but i sure do. Coach K from doing team USA stuff with Bohiem(sp) has used an occasional Zone to help out if duke is mismatched. And they would use it and Change back and forth contsnantly so other teams really had no idea which D they were facing. Coach K is one of the winningest coaches in history yet he is still constantly changing his Off and Def sets to get his team an advantage and make it difficult for other teams knowing Duke isnt set in its set ways every year. Thats why im glad to hear Nagy making adjustments that he thinks are needed. Boots will have to see that too otherwise he is going to have a few 20 lose seasons coming his way shortly. I really feel the Defense we play at STATE is better now then it was the last 5 years even if the quaility of the players is still about the same. Effort on D is what is critical at D-1. you cant playin oklahoma football thinking that we will just play to out score um and forget the D. It doesnt work that way anymore. Too many other good athletes that can put points on the board just as easily as an USD player yet their D effort and coaching strategies im sure are completely different.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        If any body watched Duke beat Purdue last night, thats a good example of man and help D if you ask me. I know not everyone loves Duke but i sure do. Coach K from doing team USA stuff with Bohiem(sp) has used an occasional Zone to help out if duke is mismatched. And they would use it and Change back and forth contsnantly so other teams really had no idea which D they were facing. Coach K is one of the winningest coaches in history yet he is still constantly changing his Off and Def sets to get his team an advantage and make it difficult for other teams knowing Duke isnt set in its set ways every year. Thats why im glad to hear Nagy making adjustments that he thinks are needed. Boots will have to see that too otherwise he is going to have a few 20 lose seasons coming his way shortly. I really feel the Defense we play at STATE is better now then it was the last 5 years even if the quaility of the players is still about the same. Effort on D is what is critical at D-1. you cant playin oklahoma football thinking that we will just play to out score um and forget the D. It doesnt work that way anymore. Too many other good athletes that can put points on the board just as easily as an USD player yet their D effort and coaching strategies im sure are completely different.
                        The ability to state an argument in a clear, concise manner. You don't possess that talent!
                        Last edited by BTownJack; 12-03-2008, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          With the extended 3 point line its only going to open up more spaces for teams to find room for the 3. With SDSU we made an emphsis on trying to get more outside shots. I think part of that was personel dicision because thats what we have more of with not much for an inside figure yet. Defending the 3 should be a teams priority with the new line i think. Make um put it on the floor and try to drive or dish. Man 2 man help recover D would be a good way to go if you ask me. Or from my Y ball teams defense, as we liked to call 2-2-Todd. Basically a zone 2 up and 2 down and Todd the crazy cafinee freak on our team was constantly following the ball. it seemed to work well but that was high school Y league stuff.
                          My city league team doesn't play any defense. I just thought I'd throw that out there since we were talking about Y ball.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                            My city league team doesn't play any defense. I just thought I'd throw that out there since we were talking about Y ball.
                            Yeah...that too.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                              My city league team doesn't play defense, doesn't rebound, shoots FT's at about a 20% clip and averages at least 20 turnovers per game. Of course, I play stellar defense, always box out, always get back, never turn it over and I only shoot the ball every time I touch it.

"Ohhhh, man I wish I could go back in time. I'd take state."
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

If USeD is looking for a new coach, I nominate goon. Then he can impliment the 2-2-Todd defense.
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)
                                (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Working...
                                X