Volante Sports Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Volante Sports Blog

To be honest, my thinking is changing a little bit regarding a game with USD or UND. Why? The MVFC conference schedule (today's game notwithstanding) is so brutal that we need an out-of-conference, post Hobo Day game that would draw a large crowd and not be against a top-five team. It's awfully tough for a team that plays in the Valley (ask Coach Farley from UNI what he thinks) to get beat up week after week and then face McNeese and Cal Poly out of conference in a three week stretch. Next year we have Cal Poly and Delaware out of conference. Yikes.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a meaningful game against a rival (in Brookings, of course) that most likely would be competitive but wouldn't involve a top-five team? I just think that with a schedule as brutal as the Valley conference slate is for everybody, teams are going to be looking for meaningful games that are winnable, even with all the bumps and bruises you get from playing Valley teams most weeks.

That's what I'm thinking right now. Note that I'm trying this line of thinking out on a smack thread so that I have plausible deniability next time CF or any other Coyote fan says something incredibly stupid and makes me think we should never again play them.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Re: Volante Sports Blog

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      To be honest, my thinking is changing a little bit regarding a game with USD or UND. Why? The MVFC conference schedule (today's game notwithstanding) is so brutal that we need an out-of-conference, post Hobo Day game that would draw a large crowd and not be against a top-five team. It's awfully tough for a team that plays in the Valley (ask Coach Farley from UNI what he thinks) to get beat up week after week and then face McNeese and Cal Poly out of conference in a three week stretch. Next year we have Cal Poly and Delaware out of conference. Yikes.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a meaningful game against a rival (in Brookings, of course) that most likely would be competitive but wouldn't involve a top-five team? I just think that with a schedule as brutal as the Valley conference slate is for everybody, teams are going to be looking for meaningful games that are winnable, even with all the bumps and bruises you get from playing Valley teams most weeks.

That's what I'm thinking right now. Note that I'm trying this line of thinking out on a smack thread so that I have plausible deniability next time CF or any other Coyote fan says something incredibly stupid and makes me think we should never again play them.

That is a really good point. I think SDSU needs to tone down the out of conference schedule a bit. Not a lot, but maybe replace Poly or McNeese for a more "winnable game". Playing USD at SDSU late in the season would increase ticket sales dramatically and give us another win (9 out of 10--for the next few years anyways). I think two years from now when Sheppard, their qb, graduates would be as good of a time as any to fill in a game (if they decide to play).

Now with that being said, there are many reasons we shouldn't play USD as stated in many previous posts. But I thought Jimmy Jack made a valid point.

Comment

Working...
      X