Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD article in 8/20 Argus

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...32/1002/sports

Don't really know that any of this is smack but didn't know where to put it.

I read the article and it sure made me appreciate what SDSU has gone through and the fact that we were able to keep the coaching staffs for the most part intact in all sports. It is so nice to be done with transition and be in conferences for all sports and eligible for NCAA post-season play. USD has a tough road ahead as they go through transition.

A couple of other things that struck me is that USD is starting off the season with Ambrose St. Who??? We had to play those games when we first moved up and SDSU is past that now. Don't know about you but the idea of Iowa State sure sounds better to me. The other thing is why so much turnover at USD? Is it the school, Vermillion, facilities, the administration, the challenge of transition, or a large combination of all of them? It just seems that the turnover is excessive down there. Is it correctable or is it going to be a long-term problem at USD? Obviously, I look through blue-colored glasses but it sure makes a person glad to be and SDSU fan.

People that haven't been to Brookings since last football season are going to be stunned by the amount of change at SDSU. There are building projects everywhere. The new Wellness Center looks incredible. The positive vibe on campus can really be felt.

I can't wait for next Thursday night!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Re: USD article in 8/20 Argus

Acutally there are only 2 coaches left on the football team from the last year of D-II - Luke Meadows and Stig.

In the first year of transition SDSU lost Eric Eidsness and Tim Steinbach. They were replaced by Daren Wilkinson and Chris Roberts who left the next year and was replaced by Rob Sarvis. Kris Garry, Josh Conklin, Doug McFadden are also coaches who have left the football team.

My only point of disagreement with easy Eddie would be that I don't think its necessarily an advantage to have someone on your staff that knows the history of the school. Sometimes that can lead to people settling for what has always been.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Tar Heels on USD women's schedule

The USD women's basketball program announced its first schedule outside NCAA Division II on Thursday, highlighted by a March trip to play the University of North Carolina.

The Coyotes, who finished second their last season of Division II last March, will play 17 home games, five of which will come against Division I opponents. They will play 13 Division I teams in all.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...30/1002/SPORTS

If USD had to play a top 5 team like UNC, the week before the conference championship would be the best possible time to play them since UNC might be likely to sit starters more than normal. Still, what do we set the point spread at, 40?, 50?

Comment

The game is actually between the ACC tourney & the NCAA tourney. Not sure why, but the ACC tourney wwas moved up a week this year, so depending on what happens in the ACc tourney, it could be very interesting as to how UNC approaches the game.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I trust the print edition includes scrutiny of travel costs and a tabulation of miles traveled. Or maybe Mick's still working on that. Yeah right.
          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

This is an interesting scheduling development from UNC. How many possible scenarios can we come up with that will affect how this game is played?

1) I'm not sure when all of the teams and brackets are announced for the NCAA playoffs but I did look back and see that the WNIT teams were announced on March 17th this year. Let's assume that all regular season games including this game are before the brackets for the playoffs are announced and that UNC does NOT win the automatic berth. Will they see a need to trounce an upstart transitional team by 50 or more points to impress the committee?

Someone else can suggest 2, 3, and more. (Fans of the Yotes welcome!)
            Last edited by West-River_Jack; 08-22-2008, 10:21 AM. Reason: Extended invitation to Yote fans.
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Do you suppose they will take a bus for this road trip too?

Comment

Humm, here's the who's who that the Jacks women played their first year of a real D-1 schedule in 2004-2005, which was there first year out of the NCC :

Rutgers
                Kentucky
                Oregon State
                USC
                Purdue
                Alabama
                Oklahoma State
                Middle Tennesse State

Of those "Big Name" games, SDSU won 4 (Kentucky, Alabama, Oklahoma State and Middle Tensesse State).

Good Luck with the Tar Heels Yoties. Good pickup, but I have a feeling UNC will be treating it as an exhibition game and I'll still give anyone 30 points if they'd like to put there $$ on the U??

Go Jacks!!
                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                  Do you suppose they will take a bus for this road trip too?
                  I really doubt it. WBB just isn't the revenue generating sport that football is so they have chartered something a little more economical.

At least the color is close!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

USD's Womens schedule is a joke and there is no other way around it. It looks like the Coyotes would rather be in the Northern Sun than in D1 by the looks of it. The schedule doesn't even compare to what SDSU played in their first transition year and it's not really all that close to UND's either. I think there are 16 D2/NAIA/D3 games and of those 4 of them are on the road. There is simply no vision in either that schedule or the one that the football team put together. Those of you that want to smack USD on their vision go ahead and have at it because at this point there is no vision.
                    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                      USD's Womens schedule is a joke and there is no other way around it. It looks like the Coyotes would rather be in the Northern Sun than in D1 by the looks of it. The schedule doesn't even compare to what SDSU played in their first transition year and it's not really all that close to UND's either. I think there are 16 D2/NAIA/D3 games and of those 4 of them are on the road. There is simply no vision in either that schedule or the one that the football team put together. Those of you that want to smack USD on their vision go ahead and have at it because at this point there is no vision.
                      They scheduled like that when they were d2.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                        When looking at Usd Womens BB program schedule I initially thought Coyote Fan was being too harsh, then I looked closer. A couple of games stuck out at first glance. Southern Illinois, not bad playing the Saluki"s then I saw Edwardsville behind it. Then the University of Colorado, but then it said Colorado Springs next to it.
                        The game that really got my attention however was November 19 against my alma mater "IN" Orange City. The Yotes can be thankful Deb Remmerde is gone or they may have been embarrassed again.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
                          When looking at Usd Womens BB program schedule I initially thought Coyote Fan was being too harsh, then I looked closer. A couple of games stuck out at first glance. Southern Illinois, not bad playing the Saluki"s then I saw Edwardsville behind it. Then the University of Colorado, but then it said Colorado Springs next to it.
                          The game that really got my attention however was November 19 against my alma mater "IN" Orange City. The Yotes can be thankful Deb Remmerde is gone or they may have been embarrassed again.

The "in" Orange City was definitely the one that stuck out to me also. No smack intended, even though we're on the smack board...but you just can't schedule a game like this away from Vermillion if you want to be taken seriously as a D-1 team.

The U's ADept has no good excuse IMO for this game. I don't blame CF for being so pissed...I would be.

The beginning of the D-1 transition is not looking good for the women of USD. First, they're getting around the title 9 requirements set down by the SD BOR, so they can get to 63 schollies in FB just to get paygames(FBS games), second, this schedule gives the impression of three guys sitting down for one afternoon and hammering out a schedule, just in time to get home for dinner.

Go Jacks!!

Edit: Ugh...then I just realized they're also playing Buena Vista at there place. Again, to Nielsen and Herbster...you're D-1 this year, the transition year was last season. One part of being d-1, is not playing lower division teams at their house, especially NAIA teams.
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I thought USD was going to follow the SDSU model throughout the transition period? Guess not.

Go State!!!
                            Go Jacks!!!
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Some teams were pro-active in their move to DI and then there are others who are re-active.

Comment

Working...
                              X