DII Women's Basketball National Championship Smack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DII Women's Basketball National Championship Smack

I think the USD guards would match up fairly well with the Jacks but Warkenthien and Boever would eat up your post players all night, just as Northern Kentucky's post players did in the second half. I think our transition offense and depth would give you problems as well, our bigs run the floor well and get alot of fast break points.

Head to head I'd favor SDSU by 15-20 pts and would rank USD tied for 7th in the conference. Ahead of Southern Utah, UMKC, and Centenary and about equal with IPFW (who had two of the quickest gaurds I've seen SDSU play against).

For what its worth, I was very impressed with your freshman Hegge. Very athletic and fiery player, but IMO will need to add some strength for the DI game.

Comment

Yote Fan,

I was under the inpression we we're discussing your football program in the Great West next year......I stand by all my points in that arena and can't help but wonder why you changed the subject? Furthermore, while the Lady Coyotes had a fantastic season and unfortunately fell just short of the ultimate prize, they don't belong on the same floor as SDSU's women's team! They didn't at the end of our D2 days and we have only gotten better since then! (If you really want to argue this point then you're even dumber than I think!)

You argue that SDSU fans only bring up history when it suits us.....I will throw you a bone then. Udot didn't quite seal the deal this year and if it wasn't for an absolutely incredible shot by Stacy Cizek, SDSU doesn't either in '03. However, we went to 3 straight Elite 8's back when we had to deal with both ND schools, not just one like you did!

Ball's in your court now, Yote!

GO RABBITS!!!
      Live & Breath Yellow, Bleed Blue! GO RABBITS!

Comment

When I was talking about TV and talent I was talking about talent in football. Back to Women's hoops. Talent is not everything in basketball. Playing as a cohesive unit is more important. USD went up against taller post players all year long and held their own just fine. They went against teams more/as athletic such as Delta State and to a slightly lesser extent Minnesota State. The Coyote made up for alot of things because they were smart players that knew their way very well. I give Lavin alot of credit for that. One of USD's biggest reasons for success was their basketball IQ. I absolutely do think that USD belongs on the same floor as SDSU. I would have to slightly favor SDSU to win but it would be a much closer game than most Jacks fans would like to admit. If the teams played 10 times on a neutral floor I will give USD 3 or 4 wins. Certainly fans of the Jacks should know better regarding the top level D2 teams and how it compares to D1 basketball. SDSU had success basically right away after they moved up. The SDSU team in '03 and '04 is very comparitive to USD's team this year.
        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

I believe that Coyote_Fan was talking about football not basketball. TV watched the Coyotes play either Western Washington or Minn. State and he stated that they looked fast. I'm assuming he was comparing the 2 teams playing. He might have said the USD had a couple players at the skill positions that were as fast as SDSU. I don't remember exactly what he said but I do remember something along those lines.
          I think women's basketball is another story. USD uses it's quickness to spread the floor and drive or shoot the 3. SDSU is quick enough to handle that. On the other end, USD's post players aren't quick enough to guard SDSU's posts. USD might be good at the DII or lower DI level but SDSU is slightly above USD's caliber of play.

Comment

I wouldn't be so sure that basketball smarts necessarily favor USD here.

SDSU has lead the NCAA--ALL DIVISIONS--in team GPA for two years running.

Classroom smarts don't necessarily translate into court smarts, but SDSU is a basketball team composed of very, very intelligent women.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              I wouldn't be so sure that basketball smarts necessarily favor USD here.

SDSU has lead the NCAA--ALL DIVISIONS--in team GPA for two years running.

Classroom smarts don't necessarily translate into court smarts, but SDSU is a basketball team composed of very, very intelligent women.
              I don't know what there entrance requirements are now...but it used to be done by the mirror test.....if you can fog it...you can get in...I'm sure it's the same
              Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
              Muhammad Ali

Comment

My mistake. As for football, USD has tailored a team fit for the DD. Outside of that thing they are "just a good DII team". Being faster on the clock or jumping higher in the gym doesn't necessarily translate to winning football games. USD found that out his year.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  My mistake. As for football, USD has tailored a team fit for the DD. Outside of that thing they are "just a good DII team". Being faster on the clock or jumping higher in the gym doesn't necessarily translate to winning football games. USD found that out his year.
                  Yah and that goes for basketball as well as far as talent goes. USD was probably a below average NCC team on the road in football. The football team actually did quite well controlling the line of scrimmable and running the ball against good D1 competition. They struggled big time in schemes and discipline. That is where USD lack, I still think the talent is decent but maybe not great.
                  How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Coyote Fan, please understand this is a serious question.

The John Austin era started out with a lot of promise and people expected big things. It quickly deteriorated to the team playing with a lack of discipline and really no schemes. Is the Ed Meierkort era heading down that path? You have to admit that while the Yotes have looked good at times over the past few years they have padded their wins with a lot of cupcakes mixed in. Now, you are commenting that the team is playing with a lack of schemes and discipline. I have heard some things from people inside the Yote organization that coaching isn't the strongest suit of the Yote staff. Again, this is a serious question, I am not trying to smack on anything, just wanting to hear your opinion on this.
                    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                      Coyote Fan, please understand this is a serious question.

The John Austin era started out with a lot of promise and people expected big things. It quickly deteriorated to the team playing with a lack of discipline and really no schemes. Is the Ed Meierkort era heading down that path? You have to admit that while the Yotes have looked good at times over the past few years they have padded their wins with a lot of cupcakes mixed in. Now, you are commenting that the team is playing with a lack of schemes and discipline. I have heard some things from people inside the Yote organization that coaching isn't the strongest suit of the Yote staff. Again, this is a serious question, I am not trying to smack on anything, just wanting to hear your opinion on this.

Say what you want about playing cupcakes but USD didn't lose a home game under Meierkort until the last game against UND. There were alot of tough NCC games in there. John Austin is no comparison. He had one decent year and the rest were basically a disaster. Meierkort has done very well or marginally well for all 4 years he has been at USD. I do sense a slight downturn in the program right now. Meiekort has a winning and positive aura whereas Austin did not have that. The only similarity that I can think of is that Austin's teams were incredibly unorganized and lacked discipline. Meierkorts teams seem unorganized on defense and also lack discipline and it has been getting worse. Generally Meiekort has done very well but maybe he has topped out as far as how far up he can take the team.
                      How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                        Say what you want about playing cupcakes but USD didn't lose a home game under Meierkort until the last game against UND. There were alot of tough NCC games in there. John Austin is no comparison. He had one decent year and the rest were basically a disaster. Meierkort has done very well or marginally well for all 4 years he has been at USD. I do sense a slight downturn in the program right now. Meiekort has a winning and positive aura whereas Austin did not have that. The only similarity that I can think of is that Austin's teams were incredibly unorganized and lacked discipline. Meierkorts teams seem unorganized on defense and also lack discipline and it has been getting worse. Generally Meiekort has done very well but maybe he has topped out as far as how far up he can take the team.
                        1. There were not a lot of tough teams left in the NCC.

2. usd2 played all the cupcakes at home.

Welcome to the cellar of the GWFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                          Here is who USD has scheduled since the the start of the Meierkort era:

OOC: Truman State (2), Peru St, Moorehead (2), LaCrosse, Upper Iowa (2), Colorado Mines, Quincy, Crookston (2), Central Arkansas, West Tex A&M, Winona, McNeese
                          NCC: UNO (2-2), UND (1-3), Duluth (3-1), St. Cloud (3-1), Central Washington (1-1), Mankato (3-1), Augie (4-0), Western Washington (2-0)

So, in conference USD has finished 3-5 against the upper tier schools, 7-3 against the middle and 9-1 against the bottom. Out of conference there is no way you can argue against the fact that USD has played a less than scintillating schedule until this last year which gave Meierkort a serious case of the whines when it was over.

Objectively, you could say that the success of the Meierkort era has been a bit smoke and mirrors. Now it must be said that Meierkort has done wonders for raising the collective hopes and feelings of USD fans everywhere, which in turn has to have done wonders for fund raising.

I go back to my earlier point that there are two ways to do things. Right or wrong depends on opinion, but SDSU has gone down one road and USD has gone down another.
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

I just realized that this thread is titled DII womens Basketball. Guess we got off topic somehow. At least its in the smack thread where nothing really matters anyway.
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                              1. There were not a lot of tough teams left in the NCC.

2. usd2 played all the cupcakes at home.

Welcome to the cellar of the GWFC.
                              Lets see - lots of tough NCC games out there? There were three teams in the NCC that won 10 games, UNO, UND & Central Wash. The balance of the NCC went 25 and 39. Overall the NCC went 55 and 51. Not all that impressive. I continually read about the not so storied past of SDSU football. I moved to the Brookings area in 1985 and immediately purchased season tickets in football. Since 1985 SDSU was 17 wins and 13 loses vs USD. Don't want to hear anymore how much better the yotes were than the Jacks. Trust me, you don't want to go to MBB, VB etc.

Go big, go blue, Go Jacks

Comment

...and how many playoff games did the Jacks participate in and how many wins did they get in the playoffs. As far as the last NCC title now it's getting the point that not only have the current students not been born but many of their parents weren't even born yet either. Great tradition for a schools highest profile sport. The only reason SDSU is even close to USD in the all time series is that they dominated during most of the 90's in an era that no one hardly cared about Coyote Football. When USD was good in football SDSU was barely even a bump in the road. Oh yah, D3 home games as a D1 school, well we won't even get into that. At least USD won their home games against inferior competition.
                                How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Working...
                                X