Great West Alliance Champions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Great West Alliance Champions

I don't change my opions based upon how if effects USD unlike those that think anything SDSU touches turns to gold. I simply want answers as to whether or not the Great West is a true conference. I don't consider it a true conference until i find out for sure that the NCAA considers it a true conference being that it is only five schools. I have been led to believe that a conference to be legitimate has to have 6 schools. I could be wrong on that and if I am I appologise but I don't think the Great West is a legit conference. It sounds nasty and unappreciative but is just fact finding. As far as the scheduling thread I will admit that I have gone a bit overboard with my comments but I still think it is unequitable to USD. I guess thats life as a transitioning school.

If you want to have issue with me I have no problem with that. If you disagree or disrespect me that is up to you. Don't group other USD fans with what I say. Some people have the opposite opinion about my comments than the mainly negative perseption that is displayed here. Most of you only choose to read what you want to read. You may agree with 90% of what is said but will be sure to point out the 10% that you don't agree with. If you don't agree with 90% that is fine to but don't just comment on what you consider negative or controversial. Be fair and aknowledge both what you agree with and disagree with. It shouldn't be a one way street in that regard. Like I said most of you build up a bias about my posts before you even read them. College has always been about open mindedness. Maybe some of you should display that from time to time. Most things aren't as good or as bad as you think they are.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Sturgeon's Law:

90% of everything is crud.

On occasion, the percentage is higher.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
        I don't change my opions based upon how if effects USD unlike those that think anything SDSU touches turns to gold. I simply want answers as to whether or not the Great West is a true conference. I don't consider it a true conference until i find out for sure that the NCAA considers it a true conference being that it is only five schools. I have been led to believe that a conference to be legitimate has to have 6 schools. I could be wrong on that and if I am I appologise but I don't think the Great West is a legit conference. It sounds nasty and unappreciative but is just fact finding. As far as the scheduling thread I will admit that I have gone a bit overboard with my comments but I still think it is unequitable to USD. I guess thats life as a transitioning school.

If you want to have issue with me I have no problem with that. If you disagree or disrespect me that is up to you. Don't group other USD fans with what I say. Some people have the opposite opinion about my comments than the mainly negative perseption that is displayed here. Most of you only choose to read what you want to read. You may agree with 90% of what is said but will be sure to point out the 10% that you don't agree with. If you don't agree with 90% that is fine to but don't just comment on what you consider negative or controversial. Be fair and aknowledge both what you agree with and disagree with. It shouldn't be a one way street in that regard. Like I said most of you build up a bias about my posts before you even read them. College has always been about open mindedness. Maybe some of you should display that from time to time. Most things aren't as good or as bad as you think they are.
        How can you even dare to ask for understanding or equal time? In what way have you earned even an ounce of respect from the majority of the members of this board? I'll tell you this much, we will tell you whats crap and what isn't, don't like it, go away. Thats the way it works. No suprise, you can't quite understand that.

What the hell does college being about open mindedness have to do with anything? That is freakin ridiculous. I am seriously concerned about your sanity.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

OK, Coyote Fan, the GWFC does not have an autobid into the FCS playoffs because it lacks the necessary six members who 1) are NOT in transition and 2) have played together for at least two years. I'll concede that to you.

The GWFC, however, will allow your team to compete for a conference title and all-conference honors. Plus, you'll have four guaranteed games on the schedule starting in 2009. Trust me, being in the GWFC is much preferable than being an independent (like your sister school Savannah State).

Now go back to your little fan board and see if there are actually more than five people posting on it...

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post
            OK, Coyote Fan, the GWFC does not have an autobid into the FCS playoffs because it lacks the necessary six members who 1) are NOT in transition and 2) have played together for at least two years. I'll concede that to you.

The GWFC, however, will allow your team to compete for a conference title and all-conference honors. Plus, you'll have four guaranteed games on the schedule starting in 2009. Trust me, being in the GWFC is much preferable than being an independent (like your sister school Savannah State).

Now go back to your little fan board and see if there are actually more than five people posting on it...
            I hope that little bit of admission doesn't get you branded by your own as a traitor. I think your a good guy for not being 100% negative in response to my post.
            How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post

If yotefan is implying that we weren't aware of these fact, thats more ammo to support a bias towards him. Does an autobid define a conference? Do those conferences not affiliated with the BCS not count as legit? Its a conference championship, nothing more, nothing less. Argue the details until you're blue (or red) in the face. I'll take it.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I hope that little bit of admission doesn't get you branded by your own as a traitor. I think your a good guy for not being 100% negative in response to my post.
                This 'admission' does not make the Great West a mere scheduling alliance. It is a conference. And given the number of ranked members over the past two seasons (EVERYONE but SUU), its a damn good one.

Comment

Rep points for you, jackmd!

SDSU helped create the GWFC in order to ease scheduling and to allow for the football program to have a championship to play for during the transition. Coyote Fan might be mistaking the GWFC for the basketball scheduling alliance we had last year...

If all seven schools had stayed in the GWFC (St. Mary's dropped FB and UNC joined the BS Conference), the GWFC would have been in a prime position to gain an auto-bid after the xDSUs had finished their transition.

Comment

Just finished filming the final Jackrabbit Extra with John Stiegelmeier for the year. He spoke again about what a blessing the GWFC has been for SDSU's players.

I think Coyote_Fan might want to think for a minute about the student-athletes at USD. Because of the GWFC, they'll have something to play for during the transition. They'll have great conference foes (the ones you've been ripping at anygivensaturday.com) and some games to look forward to each year in between the Saturdays spent with William Penn and Missouri-Rolla. Stig is right: The GWFC is a blessing.

Coyote_Fan: Can you just for once think about the student athletes instead of your own, overblown USD ego? You're not entitled to anything when you start from scratch. You might have fancied yourselves big dogs in D2, but you're a non-counter next year and then you're a weak little transition team building scholarships and playing lots of road games for a few years after that.

At least the young men on your football team will have the GWFC title to play for. It's going to mean an awful lot for them and for your coaches who work 100 hours a week. Transition is hard enough for players and coaches without blow-hard fans ripping the only conference title they've got to play for out of some sense of entitlement (or jealousy that a rival just won something). Grow up and think about the student-athletes' experiences for once.

That's something we have learned through transition: Appreciate what opportunities you get to give those young people something that improves their experiences and gives them something to play and hope for.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

It doesn't really surprise me that a person from usd doesn't know what they are talking about or what is going on for that matter. Just look at their administration. "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree." Der...Der.Der!

Comment

Are you 12 years old? You have posted this same drivel multiple times on separate sites. Did SDSU's win, the crowd, statewide buzz, etc. drive you over the edge? Since the answer to your conference title question is obvious, allow me to take you a new direction. I went over to D2 (where USD belongs) to see what the 5 members of the Coyote Nation are discussing. I noticed one young member of Coyote Nation attended the Great West title game in Brookings on Saturday, his take; USD is not even in the same league as SDSU and NDSU. I noticed you haven't replied to that specific statement from, I believe USDFB ALUM. Please, entertain us with your thoughts oh leader of the "Coyote Nation".

Comment

Welcome to the board, jacksfan29! Rep points for mentioning the member of Coyote County (as I haven't seen much evidence of their fan base going beyond Clay County) attending the game and rightfully judging the 'Yotes as unworthy of the xDSUs.

Comment

So how many SDSU fans consider their Great West Title a win that breaks the 44 year conference drought. I want honest answers. I checked the NCAA and they list Cal Poly and Southern Utah as D1 FCS independants. I always thought that they didn't consider a scheduling alliance a true conference unless there were 6 teams. I know it sounds like smack but I think this is an honest question that needs honest answers. If indeed the NCAA considers the Great West to not be an official conference than techincally SDSU still hasn't won a conference title in 45 years. I know as true blue Jackrabbit fans you don't want to accept handouts and really want to know the true facts now don't you.
                            Coyote Fan I edited my first reply because it made me very angry, and now I am a little more calm down. I will say that you often love to ask SDSU fans questions that beg answers that you want to read. If we dont give those answers we seem to be biased from your point of view. This one question is very typical of your flawed logic. I suppose we should be telling you the Great West was a joke and cheap trophy and does not compare to the recent success at USD. This I believe is what you want to hear. Well I am not going to be telling you what you want to hear, but in all honesty, winning the Great West was an accompolishment. Having been a student when SDSU last won the NCC in 1963 I dont see any comparision in that we played in a seven team league(NCC). NDSU, USD and Augie battled to stay out of the basement, they were never contenders. The big games for SDSU were UNI and UND. The Bison went 0-10 in 1962. In 1963 NDSU won a few games, under new coach Darrel Mudra, but usd continued to stink for many years. After 1963, beating NDSU was a task for every NCC member. So to beat this team that also beat U Of Minn and Central Michigan, is a big big big deal, and getting the Great West title means something to me, very much to me. Thank you

There were no playoffs, just the mineral bowl and I believe a Pecan bowl for D2 or NCAA College Division as it was called then. No disrespect to our guys from 1963, but I would bet most would be very impressed with the 2007 team and what they accompolished. Next year a National championship will be a possiblity.
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 11-19-2007, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Every so often I come back to the Smack threads to see if everyone is behaving (or something like that). As I read through the posts, my mind forms the picture of a car driving over a Coyote, screeching to a halt, backing up with squeeling tires and running over the Coyote, screeching to a halt,... well, you get the picture.

Geez, the guy's road kill. I think I'll just ignore Coyote Fan.

Comment

We seem to be hearing the howl of a single, lonely, lost coyote, yipping desperately into what is a rapidly darkening, crystal-cold night of reclassification. The coyote hears the happy bellows of the bison herd in the distance, and the cheerful chattering in the rapidly growing jackrabbit dens closer by. He knows that the bison have gone out and taken prey like gophers and badgers, and has seen the jackrabbits take down tigers, hoosiers, mastodons, and even the occasional bison. The coyote tried to take some mavericks, and even tried to take a bite out of some cowboys and that tribe of humans from the far north for a while, but came away from those encounters bloodied, hurt, and hungry. So very hungry, but the prey he once feasted on no longer satisfies him.

He's been told since he was a pup that coyotes shouldn't be afraid of jackrabbits. But he is. He's seen them. They're bigger than he is. And there are more of them. He's tried talking to the jackrabbits, but all he can do is snarl, growl, and howl at them. In response, they just laugh at him and continue building and improving their dens.

So, he sits cold, lonely and shivering on the bare and unforgiving prairie, howling for his lost pack to find him, howling into the cold, dark night.

And the sun hasn't even finished setting on the poor, lost coyote yet. It will be a long, long, long, dark, cold, lonely night.

Poor, lost coyote. Go home to your pack. If you can find them.
                                Last edited by filbert; 11-19-2007, 11:32 PM. Reason: spelling
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X