Hope Ya Found a Seat at Coughlin Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hope Ya Found a Seat at Coughlin Saturday

You are far from objective. You don't seem to recognize that D-I is in fact a higher level of competition than D-II, nor do you recognize that the D-I transition is difficult. When USD loses soundly to a I-AA oppenent, while SDSU soundly defeats that opponent, you dismiss it by claiming it was only because the game was on the road. Certainly home field makes a difference, but not that much difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
      I am sure there were plenty available between the large contingent of 3,500. Nice D1 crowd there. The bandwagon is already losing fans left and right. I guess they were at the DakotaDome on Saturday.
      Here are some facts
      SDSU's attendances for 07
      UNI 11,000
      TSU 15,000
      SFA 15,000
      CalPoly 6,500
      SUU 3,200
      rounded numbers but pretty close

Average.... 10,140 thats more then you guys can hold....

Comment

Originally posted by RodentiaX1 View Post
        You are far from objective. You don't seem to recognize that D-I is in fact a higher level of competition than D-II, nor do you recognize that the D-I transition is difficult. When USD loses soundly to a I-AA oppenent, while SDSU soundly defeats that opponent, you dismiss it by claiming it was only because the game was on the road. Certainly home field makes a difference, but not that much difference.
        On numerous occassions I have covered these topics on this very board. My position is that D1 is definately a higher level of competition but a level that isn't alot higher than D2 or at least a high level D2 conference such as the NCC in football. If there was a huge difference there is no realistic way that SDSU would be as competitive in D1 than they were in D2 in only a couple of years and before they were really able to fully utilize getting up to full schollies. The top 25 in D2 is IMO is close to the middle tier of D1 FCS competition. The NCC is a very good proving ground for teams to move up to D1 FCS and be fairly competitive right away. The NCC in football is or was (depending on your perception) a very high level for D2 football. The NCC as a conference is/was closer to a D1 FCS level conference as they are to a lower level D2 conference such as the Northern Sun. The difference between Winona State and UND is a much bigger difference than that of UND and Northern Iowa. The UND win at UNI certainly lends credence to that argument. UND over the past 2 or 3 years has been one of about 3 NCC teams at about the same level. It can easily be concluded based on recent results that UND might actually be better than SDSU right now or at least even with them. They won at UNI the same year SDSU lost. They won at So Utah on the road in a game that they controlled from the onset and didn't give up any points until their second string was in late in the game. The game was a total laugher. SDSU at home needed a late rally just to get by So Utah. The margin at the end opened up but the game was far from a relaxing victory. If you want to look at facts those two results are very pertinent. If any SDSU fans think that the Jacks would just line up and take it to the Sioux are mistaken. I think UND won something like 10 of the past 13 times they played NDSU. Now most NDSU fans think that UND wouldn't even be in the game against them. I tend to disagree. UND would play them tough. How soon the Bison fans forget. In a down year for USD they still played UND to an even game at home which was something So Utah certainly did not do.

I have never said that the D1 transition will not be difficult. But at the same time I do believe that the upper teams in the NCC would be competitive either right away at D1 or within a couple of years. USD has regressed this year as a program. They aren't as close to a D1 caliber program this year as they were a year or two ago. They can't beat decent D2 teams on the road so of course they wouldn't beat decent D1 teams on the road either. That is just common sense. With some of the recent results between D2 and D1 schools it's also common sense that the better D2 programs are not that far away in a competitive nature to D1. Northern State is not the type of school I am talking about. I mean the UND's and UNO's of the world. USD was in that top 15 category until this year. Now they might be a top 40 or 50 team in D2.

When I talk about playing at home vs road it shouldn't make a huge difference but to USD for whatever reason it has made a big difference. The proof is in the pudding or in other words the road vs home records. I have always been of the opinion that teams show their true colors on the road. I can believe that but still point out that you can't get a true gage of USD until they have had a chance to play home and away. Considering the recent facts that isn't such a ridiculous argument. USD's poor recent play has not just been on the road but is also slowly bleeding onto their home field as well. For those that don't really know USD football and just go off assumption you'd be shocked just how different of a team they have been at home vs road. Just look at UND and UNO as perfect examples. In 04 USD lost at UNO by about 7. This year by about 4 touchdowns. The middle years both in Vermillion UNO was basically totally dominated. They lost 59-14 in 2005. UND same thing. They easily beat USD in 2004 but got beaten fairly handily in Vermillion the next season only to bounce back and beat them by a touchdown in Grand Forks in 2006. USD is the kind of team that will lose to a team by 2 touchdowns on the road and come back home and beat that same team by 3 touchdowns at home. I am not making it up or over exaggerating I am just doing the oberving and reporting. In 2007 as I said the program has regressed. A close game at home is now a 4 touchdown loss on the road. UND would have beaten USD by about 4 touchdowns this year in ND. In Vermillion an even game that went UND's way this year. As I said a regression in the program and I will admit it. Something many SDSU fans won't do for their basketball team.
        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

On numerous occassions I have covered these topics on this very board. My position is that D1 is definately a higher level of competition but a level that isn't alot higher than D2 or at least a high level D2 conference such as the NCC in football. If there was a huge difference there is no realistic way that SDSU would be as competitive in D1 than they were in D2 in only a couple of years and before they were really able to fully utilize getting up to full schollies. The top 25 in D2 is IMO is close to the middle tier of D1 FCS competition. The NCC is a very good proving ground for teams to move up to D1 FCS and be fairly competitive right away. The NCC in football is or was (depending on your perception) a very high level for D2 football. The NCC as a conference is/was closer to a D1 FCS level conference as they are to a lower level D2 conference such as the Northern Sun. The difference between Winona State and UND is a much bigger difference than that of UND and Northern Iowa. The UND win at UNI certainly lends credence to that argument. UND over the past 2 or 3 years has been one of about 3 NCC teams at about the same level. It can easily be concluded based on recent results that UND might actually be better than SDSU right now or at least even with them. They won at UNI the same year SDSU lost. They won at So Utah on the road in a game that they controlled from the onset and didn't give up any points until their second string was in late in the game. The game was a total laugher. SDSU at home needed a late rally just to get by So Utah. The margin at the end opened up but the game was far from a relaxing victory. If you want to look at facts those two results are very pertinent. If any SDSU fans think that the Jacks would just line up and take it to the Sioux are mistaken. I think UND won something like 10 of the past 13 times they played NDSU. Now most NDSU fans think that UND wouldn't even be in the game against them. I tend to disagree. UND would play them tough. How soon the Bison fans forget. In a down year for USD they still played UND to an even game at home which was something So Utah certainly did not do.

I have never said that the D1 transition will not be difficult. But at the same time I do believe that the upper teams in the NCC would be competitive either right away at D1 or within a couple of years. USD has regressed this year as a program. They aren't as close to a D1 caliber program this year as they were a year or two ago. They can't beat decent D2 teams on the road so of course they wouldn't beat decent D1 teams on the road either. That is just common sense. With some of the recent results between D2 and D1 schools it's also common sense that the better D2 programs are not that far away in a competitive nature to D1. Northern State is not the type of school I am talking about. I mean the UND's and UNO's of the world. USD was in that top 15 category until this year. Now they might be a top 40 or 50 team in D2.

When I talk about playing at home vs road it shouldn't make a huge difference but to USD for whatever reason it has made a big difference. The proof is in the pudding or in other words the road vs home records. I have always been of the opinion that teams show their true colors on the road. I can believe that but still point out that you can't get a true gage of USD until they have had a chance to play home and away. Considering the recent facts that isn't such a ridiculous argument. USD's poor recent play has not just been on the road but is also slowly bleeding onto their home field as well. For those that don't really know USD football and just go off assumption you'd be shocked just how different of a team they have been at home vs road. Just look at UND and UNO as perfect examples. In 04 USD lost at UNO by about 7. This year by about 4 touchdowns. The middle years both in Vermillion UNO was basically totally dominated. They lost 59-14 in 2005. UND same thing. They easily beat USD in 2004 but got beaten fairly handily in Vermillion the next season only to bounce back and beat them by a touchdown in Grand Forks in 2006. USD is the kind of team that will lose to a team by 2 touchdowns on the road and come back home and beat that same team by 3 touchdowns at home. I am not making it up or over exaggerating I am just doing the oberving and reporting. In 2007 as I said the program has regressed. A close game at home is now a 4 touchdown loss on the road. UND would have beaten USD by about 4 touchdowns this year in ND. In Vermillion an even game that went UND's way this year. As I said a regression in the program and I will admit it. Something many SDSU fans won't do for their basketball team.
          I still think you're underestimating the jump from D2 to FCS. You talk about all the success we had right away: Well, sort of. We played a mixed NAIA/D2/FCS schedule for a couple of years as USD will. This year is our first with an entirely FCS schedule... and it's our first year with 63 scholarships. We had some 6-5 years to start, but we weren't playing the kind of schedule we had this year. And that first year or two we weren't beating top FCS teams, either.

So your point about D2 and FCS falls apart a bit when you dig deeper. You'll see the difference firsthand soon enough.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The UND win at UNI certainly lends credence to that argument. UND over the past 2 or 3 years has been one of about 3 NCC teams at about the same level. It can easily be concluded based on recent results that UND might actually be better than SDSU right now or at least even with them. They won at UNI the same year SDSU lost. They won at So Utah on the road in a game that they controlled from the onset and didn't give up any points until their second string was in late in the game. The game was a total laugher. SDSU at home needed a late rally just to get by So Utah. The margin at the end opened up but the game was far from a relaxing victory. If you want to look at facts those two results are very pertinent. .
            UND does a good job of coming to play and rising to the occasion, but that also occured in conjunction with both UNI and So Utah strongly overlooking the Sioux. So Utah's coaching is crap...plane and simple. They might be able to coach some trick plays into gametime situations to swing the momentum, but their coaches cannot get their guys prepared mentally to play a complete, quality, and sound football game. Especially with a DII opponent coming to town. UNI also got sucked into the same trap. They did not play up to their level with their UND game.

Comment

Again, looking at these select games isn't helpful. It doesn't really mean anything if UND beat UNI or NDSU beat Minnesota. Neither outcome is relevant to the success of either program at their current level other than to say they did it. Does that make sense? If UND loses or NDSU loses do we assume neither can ever win against a similar opponent?

All that matters it what happens to the program as it transitions to the next level. You can chirp about all sorts of crap but its what you do from this point forward that counts. So, don't come on here and expect us to give a crap about your need to rationalize whats happening at SDSU or at USD. We are making a successful transition from DII to DI. Could things have gone better for us? No not really, things have gone pretty well. Could things have gone worse for us? Sure, see USD in about 5 years. This is where you don't comeback with something irrelevant about DII performances. Tell yourself whatever you need to but its not relevant. I you succeed in the move to DI it will be because of what you do not what you did.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

You just don't get it! Why have you (USD)regressed in the last year or two? How do you know your not better today than you were 2 years ago? Are you basing that assumption on wins and losses? You finally played a much tougher schedule this year than ever before and guess what your record reflects it and your coach regrets it. Would you be considered a better team if you had played the typical non-conference schedule and ended up with a couple of losses and in the playoffs. I had more respect for your program after they finally beefed up their schedule until I heard the crap coming out of your coaches mouth that he regrets putting together that kind of tough schedule. I would be embarassed as a player and fan with those statements! The reason you don't play better on the road is because most of your tougher games came there. It will be interesting to see how you transition into the FCS. I would be willing to bet your coaches and players understand it will be much more difficult than you are articulating here!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  You just don't get it! Why have you (USD)regressed in the last year or two? How do you know your not better today than you were 2 years ago? Are you basing that assumption on wins and losses? You finally played a much tougher schedule this year than ever before and guess what your record reflects it and your coach regrets it. Would you be considered a better team if you had played the typical non-conference schedule and ended up with a couple of losses and in the playoffs. I had more respect for your program after they finally beefed up their schedule until I heard the crap coming out of your coaches mouth that he regrets putting together that kind of tough schedule. I would be embarassed as a player and fan with those statements! The reason you don't play better on the road is because most of your tougher games came there. It will be interesting to see how you transition into the FCS. I would be willing to bet your coaches and players understand it will be much more difficult than you are articulating here!
                  What he said!!! Get the focus on the future and stop conveniently using limited success since SDSU, NDSU, and UNC left the NCC as a reason expectations should be any different for U.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                  X