Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USD, Do They Play a Tougher Schedule Than SDSU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD, Do They Play a Tougher Schedule Than SDSU?

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
    What Terry said was that "considering the competition" (St. Cloud). USD appears to have more explosive skill players/ not better.

Here is a question I would like answered. After reading the very well done article in the Argus on Amos Allen how is he still a Soph? Near as I could tell he has played at 3 different schools making this his 4th year. Shouldn't he be a senior or at least a junior? Somebody in the USD compliance office might want to get on this before they start practicing next fall.
    I don't know the compliance manual well but an athlete has 5 years from the start of his first semester to complete his eligibility in D-I. Something else for yote fans to worry about next year.
    Allen is a senior. This is it for him. Not sure where you got the info that he is an underclassman. They brought him in with Foster from Wisconsin to bolster a running game that was promised to other recruits esentially undermining those kids. Maybe I'm being a little biased, okay I am being very biased, but brining in a senior transfer and a DI dump off for 1 or 2 years seems underhanded. Recruits were promised playing time they didn't get and now it looks like they got screwed. Perhaps the USD supporters will spin it another way but thats what I see. How many credit hours did Allen pass this year? More than Logan I bet. This crap won't fly at the DI level.

BTW Allen is 24 years old.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I checked out the start of the scintillating Augie USD matchup on Kelo. They had both Sheppard and Allen listed as Sophs.

This is actually worse for USD. If I remember correctly 8 or 9 of their offensive starters were seniors. At least State went into the first year of transition with some returning starters in place on both sides of the ball
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
        I checked out the start of the scintillating Augie USD matchup on Kelo. They had both Sheppard and Allen listed as Sophs.

This is actually worse for USD. If I remember correctly 8 or 9 of their offensive starters were seniors. At least State went into the first year of transition with some returning starters in place on both sides of the ball
        Their QB is a Soph but he hasn't been quite as super this year. I think they lose a couple of O-line studs after this year too. Meirkort has been quoted to say that this years redshirt class is the most talented yet, they better hope thats true.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Here is story from the Yankton P & D this morining:

http://www.yankton.net/stories/11080...15883020.shtml

Comment

Interesting.....You will never be a championship team if you play a weak schedule. You may get to chose who you play in the regular season but if you make the playoffs you don't get to choose and you will most likely play tough teams and get beat.

Comment

Really interesting quote from Coach Meierkort:
              "Strength of schedule is not the way to go; anyone who says it matters is wrong," Meierkort said. "There's no honor losing games to great teams. But through all of this, I've thought our kids have handled it very well."
              This statement is so wrong in my opinion. He states there is no honor is losing to great teams. Well, when you lose to 4 of them what do you expect. USD has been put in their place this year and they are having a tough time dealing with it.

Go ahead and schedule a bunch of pasties when you move up to FCS next year and the years after that. Let's see how far that gets you.

Comment

I think it will not be too long before Mr. Meierkort is clarifying that statement. Strength of schedule is important in that it is a factor in determining at large bids to playoffs. If that (improving your chances to make the playoffs) is not important to the coach, why would you want to play there?

My guess is that the clarification will be that he meant it is not the only factor, but that really has never been questioned.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Clearly, based on everything Meierkort says in this article, he has no interest in scheduling the Jacks.
                  @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                  --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

My good friend and co-worker Matt Groce said it best... If you wanna be the best, you gotta play the best.

This year, the Jacks have had one of their toughest schedules in their transistion to D-I. Our out-of-conference foes have to be some of the toughest in the FCS. Did we lose more than we won? Of course. BUT... we're getting better. I don't hear of any opponents calling us "easy". It won't be too long before we're one of the solid premier programs in the FCS.

And it's NOT because we played Minnesota-Crookston and Quincy!
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post

This statement is so wrong in my opinion. He states there is no honor is losing to great teams. Well, when you lose to 4 of them what do you expect. USD has been put in their place this year and they are having a tough time dealing with it.

Go ahead and schedule a bunch of pasties when you move up to FCS next year and the years after that. Let's see how far that gets you.
                      I seem to remember some whining from Udot fans back in 2004 and 2005 when they were 9-2 and didn't make the playoffs. Why? WEAK schedules!! Very contradictory but not an unexpected quote from Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post

Granted, losing a football game to any team is not an honor and no one likes losing. But if scheduling the teams the Yotes have scheduled in the past 3 years is the alternative, how is that honorable. Meierkort's quote seems to insinuate he feels that way. Give me a close game and a "we shoulda won that game" against Youngstown or whoever over clobbering Morningside by 70 any day. Then again, USD under Meierkort seems to place a big emphasis on statistical accomplishments. "Top Ranked Offense" or "all-time all purpose yards" or whatever. Give me a Koenig 250 yards over Cal Poly or 200 over UCA over a 300 yard game by Allen over the sisters of the blind any day of the week. You tell me which one is more impressive.
                        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Coach Meierkort:

"In a way, we'll be playing our sixth playoff team this weekend. That's a lot," Meierkort said with a chuckle."

And if they lose to UND they will be 1-5 against those "playoff" teams. Maybe that means your team isn't a playoff calibre team? Maybe?

"It's unfortunate some of those games were on the road," Meierkort said. "If even one of those was in the Dome, things might be different for us right now."

"We should have just stayed on our course," Meierkort said. "Face some teams from the Northern Sun, beat them down like you do and things would have been fine."

Can you imagine Coach Stig ever saying anything remotely close to this? What a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                            Coach Meierkort:

"In a way, we'll be playing our sixth playoff team this weekend. That's a lot," Meierkort said with a chuckle."

And if they lose to UND they will be 1-5 against those "playoff" teams. Maybe that means your team isn't a playoff calibre team? Maybe?

"It's unfortunate some of those games were on the road," Meierkort said. "If even one of those was in the Dome, things might be different for us right now."

"We should have just stayed on our course," Meierkort said. "Face some teams from the Northern Sun, beat them down like you do and things would have been fine."

Can you imagine Coach Stig ever saying anything remotely close to this? What a joke.
                            Jacks-02, to you go the spoils. REP POINTS!

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                              Coach Meierkort:

Our coaches at SDSU and Meierkort seem to have completely polar opposite mindsets. I like our approach better...

Comment

Anyone notice the two lone Coyote fans haven't had much to say lately? I think they have a bad case of foot in mouth syndrome.

Comment

Working...
                                X