USD - McNeese in Game Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD - McNeese in Game Thoughts

I think JD predicted 21-0 at the half, he was right on. I'm a little suprised McNeese didn't run away from them in the second half. Doc can probably enlighten us. Maybe the game wasn't as close as the score suggests?
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm so sick of hearing this team play like $hit on the road. It's not that I expected them to win this game, but why do they have to fumble twice inside the three yard line and hike a punt over their head. They are a very average team on the road. Winning all of your home games and half of your road games just isn't good enough.
      I notice that somebody said "road games don't count on your win loss record." (I'm sure they were joking) but how I wish that was true. USD would have been undefeated for Ed's entire tenure at USD if that was true. Unfortunately road games do count on the record, and USD isn't a very good road team. That's why I see two more losses this year--at Central Washington and at UNO. This is assuming we beat UND at home. Very frustrating.

Comment

2006: SDSU 20, McNeese 17

2007: McNeese 31, USD 7

Both games in Lake Charles, La.

So obviously the only conclusion one can draw from those two scores is that USD would be a 78,000 touchdown favorite if they played SDSU in Brookings. And if that game was in the Dome, a special team of SDSU scientists would have to be empaneled to invent a new number that can accurately reflect the potential of USD's victory over SDSU.

Prediction: USD fans will pull a Cully and talk about all their fumbles and other mistakes as if McNeese had nothing to do with USD's loss.... Oh, look. Juice already said it.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          Culhane: There were a number of plays that could have changed the outcome of this game.

JimmyJack: There were a number of things in history that could have happened, but didn't.

Ergo

USD is the greatest D2 football team ever to take the field on earth.

Just like SDSU and their football program. History is never on the side of the Jacks when talking about football.

No excuse here. McNeese won this one big. We'll get them back at home in 2009 so we will indeed see how big home field ends up being. USD did mess up on alot of oppurtunities. Shepard does have some problems with accuracy. He needs to get some of those things cleaned up. USD did run the football nearly at will against McNeese so that is good but USD needs better coaching and skill on defense. I expected a loss so I am not overly disappointed with the loss other than the fact that USD really let the score get away from them. I think some things can be improved upon to make things closer next time. D2, FCS or whatever McNeese is a good football team and are ranked accordingly. They had the bounces go their way tonight and the result was a lopsided win. This will only help in the months and years to come.
          How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Last year we won close games by being the better team at the end of the game. That is a credit to our coaches and program. We started 0-3 with a loss to a DIII team and finished 7-4 ranked in the top 25.

False security about a strong record against NCC competition that does not include SDSU, NDSU, and UNC is just that. USD has a long way to go and I'm not sure the yotes recognize that. Excuses allow ignorance to fester.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
              Just like SDSU and their football program. History is never on the side of the Jacks when talking about football.

No excuse here. McNeese won this one big. We'll get them back at home in 2009 so we will indeed see how big home field ends up being. USD did mess up on alot of oppurtunities. Shepard does have some problems with accuracy. He needs to get some of those things cleaned up. USD did run the football nearly at will against McNeese so that is good but USD needs better coaching and skill on defense. I expected a loss so I am not overly disappointed with the loss other than the fact that USD really let the score get away from them. I think some things can be improved upon to make things closer next time. D2, FCS or whatever McNeese is a good football team and are ranked accordingly. They had the bounces go their way tonight and the result was a lopsided win. This will only help in the months and years to come.
              USD2 did mess up alot of opportunities. Shepard does have some problems with accuracy. USD needs better coaching and skill on defense. These all sound like excuses to me. The truth is, usd2 has an overinflated ego when it comes to their football team. They produced good records after the upper echelon of the NCC left. Now they are finding out just how mediocre they are.

Comment

I love closure.

One statement.....

Thus ends the smackth for the year. It's been fun Coyote fans.
                Last edited by 2002jack; 09-29-2007, 10:04 PM.
                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Just wanted to congratulate the yotes for scoring against an FCS team. Remember one needs to learn to crawl before you learn to walk. Keep your heads up and maybe the next time you guys can score twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                    USD did run the football nearly at will against McNeese so that is good but USD needs better coaching and skill on defense.
                    Sorry, what a stupid statement. If they ran the football nearly at will, why couldn't they run it into the end zone a few times??? But what else would you expect from this poster.

And by the way, the posts I have read about USD's fan board being a piece of crap certainly weren't exaggerating. Checked it for the first time tonight, and the last post on McNeese was from four days ago, and nothing else going on anywhere else on the board in the past week.

Comment

I pause to wonder why a USD fan would bother to post a USD-McNeese game thread on an SDSU board.

Of course, an SDSU fan started a USD-McNeese game thread on the moribund USD board, so there may be some kind of weird symmetry going on here.

The causal observer might also note that the USD game thread on the SDSU board has more posts than the USD game thread on the USD board.

I could go a lot of different directions from here but I think I'll just let these observations stand on their own.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

USD fans don't go to the USD board they go to the D2football.com board.
                        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          I pause to wonder why a USD fan would bother to post a USD-McNeese game thread on an SDSU board.

Of course, an SDSU fan started a USD-McNeese game thread on the moribund USD board, so there may be some kind of weird symmetry going on here.

The causal observer might also note that the USD game thread on the SDSU board has more posts than the USD game thread on the USD board.

I could go a lot of different directions from here but I think I'll just let these observations stand on their own.

It's like the "Bizzaro World" episode of Seinfeld.....not that there's anything wrong with that.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                            USD2 did mess up alot of opportunities. Shepard does have some problems with accuracy. USD needs better coaching and skill on defense. These all sound like excuses to me. .
                            Not that it matters any, but this statement doesn't seem to make any sense. A Coyote fan points out different areas where USD needs to improve and you say it sounds like excuses to you. Pointing out your weaknesses aren't excuses, that's actually the opposite of making excuses. An excuse would be "the refs screwed us, we had several players hurt, etc"

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                              USD2 did mess up alot of opportunities. Shepard does have some problems with accuracy. USD needs better coaching and skill on defense. These all sound like excuses to me. The truth is, usd2 has an overinflated ego when it comes to their football team. They produced good records after the upper echelon of the NCC left. Now they are finding out just how mediocre they are.
                              Making excuses and analysing a game properly are actually quite the same but it depends on what perspective you look at the game from. When looking at this game many people would point out that the athletes are better, deeper, faster or whatever on McNeese. Some of it may be true but not to a great extent. USD had guys running down field open and Shepard was not hitting those receivers like he usually does. When a team fumbles inside the opponents 5 twice that is not a talent differential it is a concentration problem on the Coyotes end. That is basically 10-14 points taken off the board. Say what ya want about the Coyotes but they did self distruct in the game. That is part of the game though and it counts which is the way it goes. There is a big difference between being whipped all over the field athletically and getting outcoached. I don't think that was happening for the most part.

It appeared to me that McNeese's offense did eventually wear down USD but I also think that USD's Offensive Line definately held their own against McNeese's fairly stout defense. Amos Allen did very well running the ball against their fast D front. He didn't break any long touchdown runs but he was getting big chunks of yards on the majority of his carries in the second half. If anything USD was gaining momentum on offense as the game went on not losing it. Those few plays that often decide games are one thing that USD didn't make and McNeese did. That was the difference and that is to the credit of the Cowboys. I don't want to hear that athletically USD didn't match up because I think they did match up.

I look at McNeese much the same as UNI. They are probably about even in team strength and if I remember right UNI did hand it to SDSU pretty good on their home field. I think even a SDSU fan has got to admit that before making a accurate assessment on USD they need a chance to get all those advantages that come with home field. USD has an offense that is tailor made for their home turf. Their vertical offense works better there because it is built for ideal conditions. That may explain some of the reason for the poor road play as well. Hey I am not here to make excuses the better team won today. I predicted a Coyotes loss and they lost. I am not happy about it but it's not going to make the Yotes just do into the tank.
                              How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...PORTS/70929015
                                Apparently Dr. Stu(pid) works wonders at contradicting himself in this article.
                                LAKE CHARLES, La. – McNeese State gave South Dakota a taste of FCS football.
                                McNeese, ranked No. 6 in the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) took a 21-0 halftime lead on the way to a 31-7 victory over the Coyotes.

USD is moving to FCS next fall as it leaves behind Division II and the North Central Conference.

Against McNeese, USD fumbled three times, losing two inside its own five-yard line. One of those, on a bad snap on a punt, set up Chris Bush’s 1-yard TD run that pushed the score to 21-0 at halftime.

USD, ranked No. 14 in Division II, cut the lead to 21-7 with a 12-play, 74 yard drive to open the third quarter. Quarterback Noah Shepard finished the drive off by going into the end zone from a yard out.

But USD (3-2) couldn’t sustain any momentum and McNeese scored the final 10 points of the game.

USD’s Amos Allen rushed for 176 yards on 24 carries with Shepard completing 9 of 21 passes for 155 yards. Brooks Little caught four passes for 82 yards.

McNeese quarterback Derrek Fourroux completed 12 of 17 passes for 183 yards and two touchdowns. He also ran for a touchdown.

The game was scoreless at the end of the first half.

Comment

Working...
                                X