Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is the Meirkort euphoria over in Vermin Land? Ask Coyote Fan

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    You know what I have changed my mind I think in 5 years when USD and UND are counters in football and out of transition we should ask them to join the Gateway and the Summit League.... Why you may say because I would love nothing else then to beat both of those schools twice a year and I believe NDSU thinks the same way.... If USD wants to think they are tough lets see how tough they actually are.... I am getting sick of hearing how good they think they are when they still get beat by D2 teams and there sellouts are average crowds at SDSU.... As an SDSU fan I would love SDSU to show them just what D-I is all about and make them rethink there decision.

And when was the last time SDSU had much success against UND other than a game here and there at home against them. USD still owns the all time series against SDSU so don't think that when USD gets to D1 that SDSU is just going to roll because that is not going to happen. I think the home team would win the majority of the time.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
      And when was the last time SDSU had much success against UND other than a game here and there at home against them. USD still owns the all time series against SDSU so don't think that when USD gets to D1 that SDSU is just going to roll because that is not going to happen. I think the home team would win the majority of the time.
      I guess we'll have to wait and see who wins and who loses.

I'm one of those who believes it would be good to have USD in our conferences. The atmosphere was ugly in the past, but it doesn't have to be in the future. To whit:

1. President Chicoine and President Abbott have a very good relationship. I don't think either of them would allow the kinds of ugliness in the rivalry that has occurred in the past. If you're wondering how a university president can make that happen, you need to spend more time on a university campus. Presidents have enormous power to make things go their way.

2. The leagues themselves have strict conduct and security rules. You'd have to be blind not to notice the changes in SDSU's event management since we went D1. An example is the buffer zone around benches in basketball. That's a Summit League rule. I've seen SDSU toss out a good number of students who participate in those personal kinds of anti-cheering. My hope is that the Fan Addicts can get away from cheering against the other team and just cheer for our team. That's what good fans do, and that's what the athletic department wants.

3. Both universities have more money and more of their prestige on the line now than ever before. When it was "just between us" it was one thing. When it reflects poorly on the Summit League or Gateway Football Conference, it's a different situation. Ugly incidents won't be tolerated by either league's leadership.

SDSU can't "invite" USD to either conference. But I don't think SDSU will stand in the way, either. It just doesn't fit what I know of the mindset of the current university administration. It seems to me that Commissioner Douple has staked the future of his conference on this region. Once they see the crowds that flock to the Summit League tourney, that strategy on the part of the conference members will prove justified.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Jimmy Jack,

Well thought out comments. Decisions are made based on what is best for a University not how a University can spite another. No matter what we all say USD and SDSU are both better off by playing each other. It creates interest period. Imagine how much hype around South Dakota that game would create. Just look at how much more the Argus covers SDSU now then in the past. They now publish even the minor detail of what is going on. Terry deserves alot of credit for that. SDSU is playing Northern Iowa and it's a very good matchup but one where people outside of the SDSU community really aren't paying much attention other than the score. If SDSU and USD were playing this weekend it would get a major amount of attention and alot of casual fans would probably show an interest.

This rivalry is not going away. The college students may not see it first hand but let me tell you that many of their parents have it embedded in their blood. For a rivalry to go away it takes generations of inactivity not just a few years. For all those that don't want the rivalry to resume I would bet those same people would be the first in line at the ticket counter to get tickets for the game. People want to see other peoples reactions to things. You can say all you want to say about it but this rivalry is decades in the making and will resume at some point whether us as individuals want it to or not. You can supress it in your minds all you want to but don't tell me that as soon as these games start again that no one will care. People will care more than ever. This isn't necessarily my opinion but how I see things from an outside and neutral perspective. People that have only casual intest in both program would salvate to get this thing going again. As soon as Frost Arena and the Dome are drawing 7,000 plus in average attendance for basketball is as soon as the rivalry won't be important to both schools. As long as SDSU is averaging 2,000 a game for mens hoops they would benefit greatly from having USD on their basketball schedule. Having that game alone is probably going to get fans to not only attend that game but other games as well. USD-SDSU is like that freebe give away in marketing. It's a reason for people to come to the stadium or arena in hopes they will become repeat customers.
        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

The only problem I see with your thoughts on this Coyote-Fan is that the gate revenues for the USD game was not that impressive, especially in the last couple of years that we played. Our football attendance is above what it was and now that the scheduling is taking affect with double headers the BB attendance will see a major jump this year. I do encourage you to take in a sub division football game this year. You will be suprised how much different of a game it is from Div. II. It has nothing to do with home and away games, one mistake at this level will lose you the game. That is the major factor. On the DII side you could get away with some mistake in the game. I wish USD great success but advise that the Coyote Nation to relax and be patient with the oblivian for awhile. The transition period sucks nomatter who you are. Independence sucks, but give the program time to adjust and grow and everyone will be happy with the end product. Remember your own womens coach said that it wont be as easy recruiting and landing some of the talent they have gotten from Div. I transfers once you commit to this jump.

Forget the past, focus on the future...maybe someday we will play again, maybe we wont but one thing is for sure...the drivel that is slung back and forth on these threads half the time is inaccurate as hell and isnt going to make one hill of beans when it comes to the administrations decisions.
          Last edited by Rabbitden; 09-15-2007, 02:32 PM.

Comment

If D1 and D2 is a different game tell that to the NCC teams that are 2-0 this year against D1 FCS Great West teams. Western friggin Washington who just got their tails handed to them by UNO beat UC Davis. WW was not even close to UNO today. Different game alright, in you dreams. You are going to believe what you want to believe and see what you want to see but that does not make it true. There are just too many instances of D2 clubs giving it to their D1 FCS counterparts. We are talking about upper level D1 FCS clubs such as Davis and UNI that are struggling against D2 competition. UND killed S. Utah and won against UNI at the Uni Dome who by the way is 2-0 against SDSU. But somehow UND is no competition for SDSU. Another putrid start to the season for the Jacks 0-3 to be exact. Minnesota State was basically tied with UNI this year until the 4th quarter so even a lower echelon NCC club played with UNI at UNI. There are too many instances that falsify the claim that D1 FCS is really that much better than D2. Talk is cheap like on this board but results are results and the NCC is more than holding their own against your precious little FCS. Get a life and see things in reality before it bites ya in the behind. Talk is fantasy and results are reality. Why would I say this about the division that USD is going to go to. I wouldn't be saying this if it was a total homer comment.

BTW nice win for the Yotes tonight.
            How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

If D1 and D2 is a different game tell that to the NCC teams that are 2-0 this year against D1 FCS Great West teams. Western friggin Washington who just got their tails handed to them by UNO beat UC Davis. WW was not even close to UNO today. Different game alright, in you dreams. You are going to believe what you want to believe and see what you want to see but that does not make it true. There are just too many instances of D2 clubs giving it to their D1 FCS counterparts. We are talking about upper level D1 FCS clubs such as Davis and UNI that are struggling against D2 competition. UND killed S. Utah and won against UNI at the Uni Dome who by the way is 2-0 against SDSU. But somehow UND is no competition for SDSU. Another putrid start to the season for the Jacks 0-3 to be exact. Minnesota State was basically tied with UNI this year until the 4th quarter so even a lower echelon NCC club played with UNI at UNI. There are too many instances that falsify the claim that D1 FCS is really that much better than D2. Talk is cheap like on this board but results are results and the NCC is more than holding their own against your precious little FCS. Get a life and see things in reality before it bites ya in the behind. Talk is fantasy and results are reality. Why would I say this about the division that USD is going to go to. I wouldn't be saying this if it was a total homer comment.

Where have I read these redundant comments before? Oh I know. Its over on the UNI game thread. If you repeat the same unsubstaniated facts over and over, it does not establish truth. Coyote Fan do you work or have you worked in political campaigns? These people would love to have you and we would be spared of your spin. I guess SDSU made a mistake going D1. Thats what Coyote Fan would like us to believe. I for one don't buy it and comparative scores dont mean much. Who said UND was not competition for us?
              Last edited by Nidaros; 09-16-2007, 08:32 AM.

Comment

On what planet is a 41-14 drubbing (UNI over Mankato) a "struggle"? Maybe, just maybe, UNI woke up from its D2-game-induced coma and played like they can in that fourth quarter and handed Mankato its rear end on a platter.

Maybe USD will give McNeese a game. It's possible, of course. USD's good. But what will the excuse be when USD comes home with a big loss like last year against first-year transitional UCA? I'm sorry. I know what the excuse will be: Road games don't count, even ones against teams in our "precious little FCS".
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Western Washington beats this team, UND beats that team. What is the theme here? Oh...coyote fan talking about other teams victories. Why live through another teams wins when you should be happy that the yotes won a road game, doesnt happen everyday. Bring the smack when you guys beat an FCS school or better yet when you can score against an FCS school.

Comment

If the NCC is so good and the FCS and Great West are so mediocre compared to the mighty NCC, why is USD leaving the NCC for the Great West? The NCC is so great the it will be six feet under in one year and the FCS will be as strong as ever. I was thinking last night, one could count the student athletes on one hand who have played against USD. Only athletes who sat out a year somewhere in the middle of their career (e.g. Ben Beran). USD is irrelavent. We just like talking about the trainwreck that is about to happen (USD attempting to go D-1). You can lay all the smack you want about how great the Yotes teams are. Your administration is incompetant and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Yotes don't make it out of the transition. The NCAA is going to lay the hammer down on schools who cut every sport they can just so they can be D-1. USD has the minimum number of sports needed for D-1. Have fun. I know I will watching the Coyote train derail.
                    Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

My junior year of hs we were playing the #1 team in the state in bball we were down 2 at the half but lost by 40 does that mean we were just as good as them? Or when we were up on the #1 ranked team in football at the end of the 1st qt and ended up getting 45ied it was on the road too so does that mean we were just as good?

Are there times where the game is a lot closer then the score indicates yes but just because a team rolls over in the 4th doesn't mean its one of them.

As far as D-II teams beating FCS teams yes it happens just like FCS teams beating BCS teams. And if you want to compare scores go ahead have fun but anybody that knows anything about sports knows that it means very little if you can beat a team that has beat a team that beat this one team. Just because you beat the team that beat all the other teams doesn't mean you automatically win all of those games.

Comment

You know Coyote Fan after being honest and truthful with you on this thread (a smack thread no less) and not trying to discourage the years that lay ahead for the yotes. You come back with gibberish and insult.
                        So now it is time to take the gloves off. I turned down the u out of high school, I turned down the u after the Marine Corp and now I turn down the u again. It wasnt worth capitalization then and it most certainly is not now. The u. thing ha he he ha ha he he ha ha he he.
                        Simply put...you go to a school where the nicest thing in town is the campus itself...face it Vermillion is a trailer park with a school in the middle. The state is not going to bail you out throught this transition period and you are going to find your lovely little school right where it belongs in a couple of years. The step child, the whipping boy, the outhouse that it is standing alone in purgatory.

You have never witnessed a FCS game but you claim to know all about it. You talk highly of the NCC but you are leaving it. You talk about all the talent you have that will disapear when you can no longer accept DI drop outs/transfers.

Wake up...we all know what USD stands for and South Dakota isnt part of it.

You must be a buisness major? Tell me...have you mastered the line...would you like frys with that?

Comment

I never said anything about the NCC being better than D1 FCS. I am just making a point that many of the results point to D2 being just a little behind D1 FCS and not way behind (or some total different level of play). Of course I believe FCS is better than D2 I just believe the two are closer than many would like to believe. I don't think that is such an ill fated argument at all. I very much look at things objectively and won't let any kind of biases effect my judgement whether USD is a part of the argument or not. I think alot of SDSU fans let alot of biases effect their judgement and it effects the way you shape your arguments.
                          How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

I haven't read all of the blather on this thread, just wondering though if the fact that some FCS teams have beaten FBS teams that means that FCS football is just as good as FBS? Maybe USD can schedule a game against Florida once it's a full counter to prove that one out.
                            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                              I haven't read all of the blather on this thread, just wondering though if the fact that some FCS teams have beaten FBS teams that means that FCS football is just as good as FBS? Maybe USD can schedule a game against Florida once it's a full counter to prove that one out.
                              No, if it's a road game it wouldn't count in Coyoteland. You can only measure the quality of a Coyote squad from their performance in the dome. Nothing else counts. Maybe they can get USC to come to the dome.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Coyote_Fan, here's a little primer for you and your brethren in Coyote County:

1) If the NCC is so great, how come USD couldn't save it?
                                2) As Rabbitden put it, Vermillion is a dump.
                                3) Despite having the state's fine arts school, your marching band is pathetic and is a disgrace when compared to the Pride of the Dakotas.
                                4) The NCAA is sick of having schools move up to D-I largely due to men's basketball; they want well-rounded, comprehensive athletic programs in D-I. SDSU has that; USD does not.
                                5) I won't be surprised to see the NCAA increase D-I standards (such as the minimum number of sports); USD will struggle to meet future D-I standards.
                                6) The DakotaDump barely can contain a regulation football field and is a hideous facility for basketball.
                                7) Chadwick saw the writing on the wall; for the sake of the program, he might as well have resigned last spring.
                                8) Your administration is going to have to get on their knees to get any decent home games during the next five years. You're fortunate that UC-Davis, Cal-Poly, and SUU are almost as desperate for football games.
                                9) Don't count on UND to be as reliable as SDSU and NDSU were to each other during the transition. They have a lot more resources at their disposal, plus, they still have the NCAA lawsuit to contend with.
                                10) Championship teams win on the road. Don't whine about losing a game on the road.
                                11) Don't assume that you'll be able to get into the Summit League. The conference is currently full and most of the schools probably don't want to make another trip to the Dakotas each season.
                                12) There is no outcry on the SDSU campus to play USD anytime soon. Live with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X