Diseases You Can Catch From Portland State University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diseases You Can Catch From Portland State University

Let's face it, PSU deserves a smack thread.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Any disease that is preventable with vaccines that have been around forever apparently.

Comment

Polio
      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Woke Fever, symptoms, delusion, vision distorted, swelling of the brain, confusion , disorientated , cannot comprehend reality in later stages, can be fatal if not treated.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
          Woke Fever, ...
          I had a "Politics injected into message board thread" warning light go off:

Woke? I think the word (?) or expression, name calling, whatever it is...is political and doens't have any place in this message board. And if "woke" has some generally-accepted meaning created over the past few years, it seems to me anti-vaxers tend to be on this side yelling "woke!" against the other side. Anyway, let's avoid politics..

There's not a lot of information available about the details of the cancellaction of USD's game after the Coyotes went to the time and trouble of traveling to Portland and I agree PSU appears to have acted badly in this case. The following was copied from the PSU athleticss website yesterday (Saturday) about the game cancellation: Note the statement says the two programs and their doctors were in discussions and Portland State determined the game should be cancelled.

Today's Portland State Football game vs. South Dakota has been canceled due to illness within the PSU program.

A case of pertussis (whooping cough) got into the Viking team two days ago. Pertussis is a highly contagious disease that affects the lungs. As a result, many team members have been exposed to the disease. The two programs and their team doctors have been in discussions regarding the situation. It was determined by Portland State that the game would not be played in the interest of the health of the student-athletes.

It should be noted that no players on the Viking team are seriously ill at this time.

Information on ticketing and refunds will be announced at a later date.

Link to the source:
          https://goviks.com/news/2024/9/14/po...cancelled.aspx

Two days? It would be interesting to know what was communicated by PSU to USD and when it was communicated. Did USD make the trip West without any knowledge of the risk and only found out about the risk after arriving in Portland? Was USD given notice before flying to Portland and the two teams were gambling that the game might be held, e.g. hoping additional testing would rule out pertussis? We just don't know but it seems pretty smelly on the side of PSU. Perhaps a nickname change is in order: PU!

There are outbreaks of whooping cough every so often and it's scary stuff because it can kill the very young and the elderly. Except for the very young and elderly people, reasonably healthy people in the middle seem to survive whooping cough but there's nevertheless significant concern about whooping cough because it is easily transmitted and babies in particular are at a serious risk of death. Some athletes and coaches have young families.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

I had a "Politics injected into message board thread" warning light go off:

Woke? I think the word (?) or expression, name calling, whatever it is...is political and doens't have any place in this message board. And if "woke" has some generally-accepted meaning created over the past few years, it seems to me anti-vaxers tend to be on this side yelling "woke!" against the other side. Anyway, let's avoid politics..

There's not a lot of information available about the details of the cancellaction of USD's game after the Coyotes went to the time and trouble of traveling to Portland and I agree PSU appears to have acted badly in this case. The following was copied from the PSU athleticss website yesterday (Saturday) about the game cancellation: Note the statement says the two programs and their doctors were in discussions and Portland State determined the game should be cancelled.

Today's Portland State Football game vs. South Dakota has been canceled due to illness within the PSU program.

A case of pertussis (whooping cough) got into the Viking team two days ago. Pertussis is a highly contagious disease that affects the lungs. As a result, many team members have been exposed to the disease. The two programs and their team doctors have been in discussions regarding the situation. It was determined by Portland State that the game would not be played in the interest of the health of the student-athletes.

It should be noted that no players on the Viking team are seriously ill at this time.

Information on ticketing and refunds will be announced at a later date.

Link to the source:
            https://goviks.com/news/2024/9/14/po...cancelled.aspx

Two days? It would be interesting to know what was communicated by PSU to USD and when it was communicated. Did USD make the trip West without any knowledge of the risk and only found out about the risk after arriving in Portland? Was USD given notice before flying to Portland and the two teams were gambling that the game might be held, e.g. hoping additional testing would rule out pertussis? We just don't know but it seems pretty smelly on the side of PSU. Perhaps a nickname change is in order: PU!

There are outbreaks of whooping cough every so often and it's scary stuff because it can kill the very young and the elderly. Except for the very young and elderly people, reasonably healthy people in the middle seem to survive whooping cough but there's nevertheless significant concern about whooping cough because it is easily transmitted and babies in particular are at a serious risk of death. Some athletes and coaches have young families.
            Seems the editors need to wake up when reporting on this story.

I take it we can all agree that being mistaken for 'Yotes is worse than being mistaken for Aztecs?

Screenshot 2024-09-15 191216.png

Comment

Significant botch. These things always remind me to be cautious with news reported, whatever the format, out of an abundance of caution.
              You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Good catch, Jakejc!

Comment

Sam Herder provides some grist for the smack mill.

Sounds like USD has outstanding items to resolve with the respiratory-compromised Vikings

Comment

Working...
                  X