St. Cloud vs. USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Cloud vs. USD

Big game this weekend. St. Cloud is having an excellent season. USD is off to a great start. They have wins against Truman State (0-7), Minnesota State Moorhead (0-7), Peru State (0-6), Wisconsin LaCrosse (3-1), and Mankato State (3-4). Their one loss is against UNO (5-2).

Re: St. Cloud vs. USD

Alumguy,

You forgot to mention that Peru State is NAIA, and that Wisconsin LaCrosse is D-III (no scholarships).  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Since SDSU has the week off I'm going to check this game out. If this game was played on a nuetral site it would be a blowout in favor of St. Cloud. But, since it's at the Dome, I think it'll be close. Gotta love the "new" NCC

Comment

All I can say in the "new" NCC is Go Huskies......

Go Jacks !!!!!
        http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
          Big game this weekend.  St. Cloud is having an excellent season.  USD is off to a great start.  They have wins against Truman State (0-7), Minnesota State Moorhead (0-7), Peru State (0-6), Wisconsin LaCrosse (3-1), and Mankato State (3-4).  Their one loss is against UNO (5-2).

Didn't they also win a close one over "The School for the Blind"? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Here is what happened in Vermillion today not quite a Beef Bowl Crowd, but winning games does help.:

No. 18 South Dakota Football Team Defeats No. 6 St. Cloud State, 37-21; Move Into Second in NCC

10/16/2004

VERMILLION, S.D. -- Junior quarterback Wes Beschorner accounted for four TDs and threw for a career-best 221 yards to help lead the 18th-ranked South Dakota Coyotes football team to a 37-21 upset win over sixth-ranked St. Cloud State on Saturday at the DakotaDome before 7,537 in attendance on Family/Faculty and Staff Appreciation Day.

With the win, South Dakota has opened 7-1 for the first time since the 1987 team accomplished the feat. USD is 3-1 and sits in second place in the NCC with Nebraska-Omaha in first with its 6-2 and 3-0 NCC mark.

Beschorner sparkled in the biggest game of his career at USD. A junior, Beschorner completed 14-of-20 passes for 221 yards with three TD passes and a nine-yard TD run. He had 47 yards rushing on nine carries.

Senior wideout Chris Mikkelsen had a career-day with eight catches for 139 yards and two TDs. The catches and receiving yardage were career bests from the Gregory, S.D. native. He is just two receptions away from tying all-time receptions leader Rod Tweet (140, 1982-85). Stefan Logan, a sophomore from Miami, Fla., had his fourth straight 100-yard plus game, rushing for 174 yards on 30 carries. He also had two receptions for 32 yards and a 26-yard TD reception. Logan, who had his second straight game of more than 170 yards rushing (177, MSU, 10-9-04) and accountejd for 206 all-purpose yads.

Overall, South Dakota totaled 475 yards in total offense on 73 plays, including 254 yards rushing and 221 yards passing. St. Cloud State had 284 yards in total offense, including 231 yards passing but just 53 yards rushing. Matt Birkel, who was averaging 138 yards per game, had 66 yards on 19 carries. Ed DeShazer caught six passes for 123 yards and had a 22-yard TD reception. St. Cloud State quarterback Daniel Kaczor completed 16-of-25 passes for 231 yards and a TD.

Perhaps the key to the game was USD's control of the ball. USD won the time of possession battle, 37:12 to 22:48 for St. Cloud State.

Comment

Why would you stink up our board with their story? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Do you really think anyone cares about USD? : : : : :

JBNJBQ

Comment

jbnjbq"

I did it for one reason. TO P#SS YOU OFF ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
                Seriously, I thought it was an interesting game story. Seldom do you see that wide of difference in time of possession.

Comment

jbnjbq-

hope it's O.K. that I discuss this topic I attended the first half of this game. USD impressed me and St. Cloud did not. Logan is fun to watch-even though is plays for USD. The attendence was over 7,000. I did notice they did not take a turn-style attendence, were 7,000+ fans in the dome--I doubt it. Very few students (maybe 1,000-they sit in the bleachers now) and it wasn't hard to find a good seat in the chair backs. My guess is their attendence figures comes from tickets sold, not butts in the stands. Actual attendence, no more than 6,000.

Comment

USD has never provided hard counts on attendance. They have always provided round estimates pulled from thin air.

Comment

The USD estimates are often based on what SDSU has reported in the past. Its kind of hard to justify 12344 in order to top the Beef bowl, but they did exactly that last year or the year before for basketball attendence at the Dome when SDSU played.

Comment

A friend pointed this out to me last year with the basketball games. Isn't it funny that the attendence for bball at the dome v SDSU is whatever it was at Frost + 1 ???

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                          A friend pointed this out to me last year with the basketball games.  Isn't it funny that the attendence for bball at the dome v SDSU is whatever it was at Frost + 1 ???

That's due to their Creative Accounting Professor, Ernest F. Duh. He is also a practicing attorney I believe he was a classmate of USD President Abbott. Graduates of his class have had an unusually high placement ratio due to their ability to make the numbers look any way you would like. He is personally in charge of estimating the crowd numbers at all of their athletic events (who else).

Here is a picture of the sign in front of his Vermillion office:

http://www.ahajokes.com/crt182.html

So when you see the attendance figures from one of their events just remember to say:

Duh

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Must say quality win for the D-II school down the road.  However it looks like their weak schedule is coming back to bite them in the butt.  The new regional rankings are out.

10-18-04

Northwest
                            1. Michigan Tech 7-0
                            2. St. Cloud State 7-1
                            3. Northwood 7-1
                            4. Grand Valley State 6-1
                            5. Winona State 7-1
                            6. North Dakota 6-1
                            7. Nebraska-Omaha 6-2
                            8. Saginaw Valley State 5-2
                            9. Ferris State 6-2
                            10. South Dakota 7-1
                            11. Western Washington 4-3
                            12. Bemidji State 6-2

Comment

Hey, Peru State helped them out. They got a win this weekend over -- and I'm not making this up -- Southwest Assemblies of God.
                              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Working...
                              X