Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD

Originally posted by sdman
    Maybe I am being a little too paranoid but it does seem   coincidental that we haven't heard anything in the last couple of weeks from maverick1 and big jake and then all of a sudden this sportsbuff guy pops up with tons of posts in a short period of time.  One has to wonder if this guy is not actually a usd fan but rather one of those maverick jerks who has now disguised himself as a coyote fan.  Maybe they are all one person?
    He does have one thing in common with the 2 maverick fans - he seems to consistently be wrong!!  Go Jacks!!
    Now that I'm taking a lunch break I can have a chance to respond. Just as I thought a bunch of you have already had time to reply. I can assure you I'm not the two UNO boys that were telling you off earlier, I've read some of their posts and they were pretty good. My guess is they were too busy to keep this up for an extended period of time, just like I will be. SDMan thinks whoever is against SDSU is just wrong. I suppose those Georgia Southern people were wrong when they came on here telling you how bad they were going to beat you while you guys kept acting like you were going to win. I guess they were kind of wrong, they said they would win 58-7, it was worse than that.
    MilwaukeeJacksAlum, you got offered a full ride to USD lawschool huh? Is that what you tell people after USD turned you down? Why didn't you just go to lawschool at SDSU? Oh wait, my bad.
    Jackrabbit1979 says I must not have a life because of all the posts I made yesterday. I just wanted to get a feeling for what you guys do all day. I sure as hell know I wouldn't have time to do that all day every day, like you guys do. Thats why I said I might be able to keep it up for a few days but I have too much of a life to dedicate the time that you guys do. 89Rabbit you won't see me with 2000 posts on any board. Maybe once I'm retired I would have time for that.
    JackMD, I see that you are still keeping your patients waiting, either that or you are the least busy Dr. I have ever heard of. You wonder who would choose Vermillion over Brookings, well anyone who wants a good education. You and Milwakee want to talk about how many SDSU people were in lawschool and med school at USD, well I can guarantee you that theres a lot more USD students.
    I should get going, I have another trial in an hour, I gotta defend another another SDSU alum. Thats the thing about being a public defender, you get to meet a lot of State grads. I need a job where MilwaukeeJacks works, apparantly they have time to play on the computers all day long. ;D

Comment

I'm telling you, leave the child alone. It's time for his nap.

Comment

I guess I'm really not sure of sportsbuff's point for being negative about the bold move SDSU has made to DI Athletics. South Dakota was the last state to have a DI school in the country and that should tell you something right there. If USD had made the same move I would say best of luck and good for them to have the courage to make the move. The fact that our move up is being belittled by USD fans tells you it's envy and jealousy. We know the move to DI is the best long term strategy for SDSU! Just remember the rivalary did not have to end because we are transitioning to DI. The rivalary was killed because USD felt the best and only way to get back at us was not to play us.

Comment

I wish we could do polls on this site like we can on other sites. I would like to take a vote on whether people think this is a
          1. new guy who is posting
          2. big jake
          3. maverick 1
          I tend to think it is Maverick 1 but it is only a guess. He seems to have the same edginess about his posts that maverick 1 had. Big Jake was combative but in a different way.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
            I guess I'm really not sure of sportsbuff's point for being negative about the bold move SDSU has made to DI Athletics. South Dakota was the last state to have a DI school in the country and that should tell you something right there. If USD had made the same move I would say best of luck and good for them to have the courage to make the move. The fact that our move up is being belittled by USD fans tells you it's envy and jealousy. We know the move to DI is the best long term strategy for SDSU! Just remember the rivalary did not have to end because we are transitioning to DI. The rivalary was killed because USD felt  the best and only way to get back at us was not to play us.
            Actually, the reason we aren't playing USD in basketball is because they would only play a home and home. We would only play them in Brookings or not at all.

Comment

Originally posted by sdman
              I wish we could do polls on this site like we can on other sites.  I would like to take a vote on whether people think this is a
              1.  new guy who is posting
              2.  big jake
              3.  maverick 1
              I tend to think it is Maverick 1 but it is only a guess.  He seems to have the same edginess about his posts that maverick 1 had.  Big Jake was combative but in a different way.
              I don't think its either.  The new guy's style doesn't profile like mav and jake.  Those two never quoted anyone and never used proper capitalization. Although, the new guy has no grasp of proper syntax but he does capitalize well.  I know jake and mav don't have the cunning to disguise their writing styles.

HailSoutherneagles who was called out by JBNJBQ, was definitely one of the Omaha boys.  (btw where the hell has JBNJBQ been?).  

Sports_buff is a near perfect fit for either a current USD student, aspiring USD student (most likely), or an alumnus of the undergraduate school at USD.  His demented psyche is a dead give-away.

SDsportsFan,

Thanks for clarifying a point that has been made several times before.  I suspect JACKGUYII is aware of this but still considers the end of the rivalry primarily USD's responsibility.  I'm not sure who to blame but I sure as hell don't care if we ever play in the Dakotadome again.  In fact, after this year, I'm not really interested in playing any lower division teams, period (thank God for several this year so we can pad or record).  I'll state the obvious just for clarity; DI teams don't travel to DII schools.

P.S. Are you and SDhoopfan related? I can tell you jackJD and I are not.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

JackMD
                I don't think I'm related to SDHoopsFan, but I guess I don't even know who he is so I could be. I could be related to you for all I know. I don't know anyone on this site.
                I hear ya about DI schools not traveling to DII schools, but I wish we could make an exception for USD. I would like to keep the rivalry going and if that means signing a home and home with them, then so be it. Our girls travel to NSU this year. Granted, this is probably the last year it will happen. I would just like to see an exception made here. Heck, Kansas even traveled to UND for a game. Thats just my opinion, but it doesn't seem like anyone else on this fan board really shares my opinion about that. Maybe I'm the only State fan that will miss those games. I thought they were a lot of fun.

Comment

SDsportsfan: I sense you are about to get "The Talk" from 89.

Comment

If sports_duff is done with his nap, let's talk academics for a minute.

I can comment about one department on each campus: journalism. USD has a newly remodeled facility, paid for by Uncle Al Neuharth... and they have five faculty for it. Oh, wait, their department chair is leaving because they have no money to OPERATE the new facility and he's frustrated (he's a great guy, by the way). So make that four faculty. And of those four, ONE has a doctorate. They were recently accredited for the first time (all good j-schools are) based on promises by the USD administration that the faculty would grow and more money would be provided to beef things up. The administration has now reneged on those promises. USD's journalism program will probably not be re-accredited or, if it is, it will be conditional on more money and faculty lines being provided. That is unlikely, according to my sources there. It's not a pretty picture, and I'm told that there are similar problems with funding and faculty departures across the USD campus.

Contrast that with SDSU journalism. They have a newly remodeled facility, paid for by Anson and Ada May Yeager. There are 10 faculty members, including six with doctorates. The department has been continuously accredited since accreditation began in 1948. Look at the staffs of newspapers in the region and you'll find many, many SDSU graduates and darned few from USD. SDSU's program has a truly national reputation for quality and has produced many outstanding graduates over the years.

Of course that's just one department, but it's the one I'm familiar with. And no, I didn't graduate with a journalism degree from SDSU. sports_duff will probably dismiss this post, because it involves facts and facts involve research. Research is hard... and sports_duff really needs another nap.

Awww. They're so cute at that age.

Comment

• Re: USD

Maybe most have seen the below before. But just another example of the what USD and and their student newspaper are about. This was written by a USD student and was published in their newspaper, the Volante in the fall of 2003. My hope would be that he would have to explain the below article while in a job interview with a SDSU alum.

YOU SUCKED AS RIVALS ANYWAYS

By Nick Kotzea

How does it feel to lose, SDSU? Yeah, I'm not sure what scoreboard you were looking at, but as far as I could tell, we mopped the volleyball court with your corpses last weekend. We dominated the nets, punk. Never try that weak bump-set-spike with us, because we will shove it right back down your chew-coated throat. That's right. It doesn't seem much like a rivalry anymore when we dominate you like that.

The football game? You want to talk about the football game? Yeah, you would twist things around like that, trivializing decades of tradition. There are women's sports too, you know? Here that? Yeah, that's 1950s calling, they want their social attitudes back. Sexist pigs.

Maybe you need to learn the accept defeat, like you need accept that this state will never recognize your marriage to Lambchop over there. We don't care how many times you've consecrated it.

You consider that a cheap shot? The only thing I consider cheap is the price of dating livestock. A little hay, soothing country-western music and you're off to the sick races. Don't play dumb, I'll let God punish you for that.

I hope Division I treats you well. I know my great-great-great grandchildren will be pulling for you 200 years from now when you're trying to scrounge up enough of a program to play Northern Idaho State in the NobodyGivesACrap.com Bowl. Good luck with that.

You'll miss us. Do you realize how far you have to travel to play the bottom-of-the-barrel Division I competition. I guess you really can "go anywhere" from SDSU. In fact, you'll probably have to go everywhere to lay your necks out like sacrificial lambs. Consider trading your 14-door pickup for something that gets, let's say, at least three miles to the gallon. But I supposed hauling that girlfriend of yours around in a vehicle much smaller than the state of Vermont is next to impossible.

Hey, I like your t-shirt. "Screw The U" is incredibly ingenious, at leat it was at the beginning of recorded time when the idea was fresh. SDSU is just a factory of creativity. Keep up the good work.

I hear Hobo Days is this weekend in Brookings. That freak show should tie in well with Halloween. I've got a great costume idea for you; dress up as a USD student.

You could start with wearing cool clothes and removing your lip's from that cow's ass. And I assume that stench of fresh manure has something to do with a homework assignment of yours. You might want to clean up a little; USD students value a certain level of personal hygiene.

No hard feelings buckaroo, we're just trying to toughen you up a little. If a fellow South Dakota university is capable of putting you down for being an agiculture school, the imagine what real "city kids" at Division I universities will do to you. Every laughing stock Division I school in America is hoping you join its conference to take the ridicule away from them. That should be fun for you. Don't foget about us.

I can promise you one thing: we will not forget about you, and we'll continue launching sterotypical potshots from the comforts of our lowly Division II liberal arts university. I don't care what your major is - farming or pharmacy. It doesn't matter. That's the beauty of this friendly rivalry. We make fun of you, and you have absolutely no basis for effective retaliation. Even at the Division I level, you'll still have Division II combacks. Nice work. You guys really suck.

Comment

SportsFan,

The related comment was just a quip, no deeper meaning or intention.

I would miss the rivalry if the future didn't hold so much promise. Hence, if I were affiliated with USD or Augie there would be a yearning.

As for Kansas playing at UND. Maybe if a Grand Forks lad or lass comes down and plays for SDSU, we'll pay a tribute and play a game in GF their senior year, too. No way I see us in the Dakotadome again.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Kansas played at UND one year, and that is because one of the Kansas players(can't think of him right now) was from Grand Forks, and that was to let his homestate see him live.  Even if a kid from Vermillion comes to SDSU, they can make the 2 hour trip up to brookings to see him play against a good school.  

We might play some d2 schools in the future, but the only times I believe we will is to go to someone's hometown(or state at least) to let the hometown fans see him play live.  It won't be in SD either.

Comment

Originally posted by jack100
                            Maybe most have seen the below before.  But just another example of the what USD and and their student newspaper are about.   This was written by a USD student and was published in their newspaper, the Volante in the fall of 2003.   My hope would be that he would have to explain the below article while in a job interview with a SDSU alum.

YOU SUCKED AS RIVALS ANYWAYS
                            By Nick Kotzea
                            Haven't seen this before but it reeks of the envy typical of those with with ties to USD who stand in opposition of our move to DI. Its fits perfectly with what I have been describing all along. Is sports_buff Nick perhaps?

Actually, he is the editor of the campus rag and a Milbank, SD native. This clown worked at The Forum in North Dakota in 2003 and Duluth this summer. He has even written for the Argus (sounds about right). I have included a snipet from the Forum and another entry from a website he frequents. Enjoy!! More quality journalism from USD.

From the Forum 9/27/03:

Nick Kotzea, Milbank, S.D., also was a general assignment reporter.

Kotzea is a senior journalism student at USD. He has been the student newspapers editor as well as a writer for the past three years.

He interned at the Aberdeen American News in 2002.

Kotzeas assignments for The Forum included municipal meetings, the courts and police.

He will graduate from USD next year.

My interests vary so much in terms of what I want to do with journalism, he said. Regardless of what section of a newspaper my name ends up in, Im optimistic about the ability and experience I bring to the table due in part to his summer at The Forum.

From the web:

Nick Kotzea: You sucked as rivals anyway

"I hope Division I treats you well. I know my great-great-great-grandchildren will be pulling for you 200 years from now when you're finally able to scrounge up enough of a program to play Northwest Idaho State in the NobodyGivesACrap.com Bowl. Good luck with that.

You'll miss us. Do you realize how far you'll have to travel to play bottom-of-the-barrel Division I competition? I guess you really can "go anywhere" from SDSU. In fact, you'll probably have to go everywhere to lay your necks out like sacrificial lambs. Consider trading in your 14-door pickup for something that gets, let's say, at least three miles to the gallon. But I suppose hauling that girlfriend of yours aound in a vehicle smaller than the state of Vermont is next to impossible."

Here is the link if interested:

http://www.upsaid.com/amuravsk/index...com&id=365

Comment

That is a very stupid column. In fairness to him, he's not the first college newspaper columnist to embarrass himself in print (including some at the SDSU Collegian and at our Daily Oklahoman). And I see he is a dean's list student.

But for fun, I googled Mr. Kotzea. I found some other interesting things, considering the disdain for agriculture evident in that unfunny "humor" column. First, Nick is from the urban mecca of Milbank. I'm sure there aren't any farmers there. He did an internship in 2002 at the Aberdeen American News. What did he cover? He covered Spink and Faulk counties. No farmers there, either, I suppose. He also interned at the Fargo Forum (I used to work there... I'll have to have a chat with the editors). There are no farmers in the Red River Valley, of course.

So clearly, his disdain for agriculture is well-founded given his many experiences with hip, urban culture in Vermillion, Aberdeen, Fargo, and Spink County.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
                                That is a very stupid column. In fairness to him, he's not the first college newspaper columnist to embarrass himself in print (including some at the SDSU Collegian and at our Daily Oklahoman). And I see he is a dean's list student.

But for fun, I googled Mr. Kotzea. I found some other interesting things, considering the disdain for agriculture evident in that unfunny "humor" column. First, Nick is from the urban mecca of Milbank. I'm sure there aren't any farmers there. He did an internship in 2002 at the Aberdeen American News. What did he cover? He covered Spink and Faulk counties. No farmers there, either, I suppose. He also interned at the Fargo Forum (I used to work there... I'll have to have a chat with the editors). There are no farmers in the Red River Valley, of course.

So clearly, his disdain for agriculture is well-founded given his many experiences with hip, urban culture in Vermillion, Aberdeen, Fargo, and Spink County.
                                Great minds think alike.

Comment

Working...
                                X