the demise of the ncc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the demise of the ncc

I'll say this again, when NDSU & SDSU announced they were leaving the NCC an open invitation was made to NSIC, RMAC and other schools in the area to join. UMD was the only on that even responded. What makes anyone on this board think that any of those schools would want to join the NCC now. There is no stability, little to envy, and increased travel potential. Winona State may be the cream of the football crop in the NSIC, and they made the playoffs based on the year they had. The tide has changed because not to long ago an either 10-1 or 9-2 Winona team was left out of the playoffs because of the apparent lack of competition they played and more teams from the NCC got in. It would appear that in some peoples eyes the NCC is a little less respected.

Rather than thinking NSIC teams will be busting down the door to get into the NCC, shouldn't there be a concern that St. Cloud and Mankato could bolt for the NSIC, where they both have ties.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionJack
      I'll say this again, when NDSU & SDSU announced they were leaving the NCC an open invitation was made to NSIC, RMAC and other schools in the area to join.  UMD was the only on that even responded.  What makes anyone on this board think that any of those schools would want to join the NCC now.  There is no stability, little to envy, and increased travel potential.  Winona State may be the cream of the football crop in the NSIC, and they made the playoffs based on the year they had.  The tide has changed because not to long ago an either 10-1 or 9-2 Winona team was left out of the playoffs because of the apparent lack of competition they played and more teams from the NCC got in.  It would appear that in some peoples eyes the NCC is a little less respected.  

Rather than thinking NSIC teams will be busting down the door to get into the NCC, shouldn't there be a concern that St. Cloud and Mankato could bolt for the NSIC, where they both have ties.
      Call it whatever you will: I merely predict that what will come out of the destruction of the NCC is the upper echelon from the NSC (namely Winona and Bemidji) assembling with a portion of the NCC or SCSU and/or MSU joining the NSC. In other words, a MN based conference that may also incorporate USD, Augie, UND and possibly the UP schools (Northern/Tech).

Comment

Originally posted by ActionJack
        I'll say this again, when NDSU & SDSU announced they were leaving the NCC an open invitation was made to NSIC, RMAC and other schools in the area to join.  UMD was the only on that even responded.  What makes anyone on this board think that any of those schools would want to join the NCC now.  There is no stability, little to envy, and increased travel potential.  Winona State may be the cream of the football crop in the NSIC, and they made the playoffs based on the year they had.  The tide has changed because not to long ago an either 10-1 or 9-2 Winona team was left out of the playoffs because of the apparent lack of competition they played and more teams from the NCC got in.  It would appear that in some peoples eyes the NCC is a little less respected.  

I think there is a fondness for the former NCC that blurs the reality that is the current NCC.  Right now, the NSIC is relatively stable as compared to many DII conferences.  They have a relative check on travel costs, a say in lowering FB scholarships, several successful pre-season and post-season BB tournaments, and a general respect and rank of order amongst current member schools.  

What makes you NCC elitists think they would give that up?  What is the benefit in being an NCC member?  Increased travel and scholarship costs, reduced influence, future instability, etc..  Doesn't sound too attractive to me.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

jackmd:

There is nothing blurring my vision of the current NCC. Like a dead grandfather, my memories are of the the living, breathing being, not the dead carcass lying in the coffin. But reality is reality and I accept that.

NCC elitist? I have been called many things...

My opinions regarding the future of collegiate sports in the Upper Midwest are spelled out in the previous posts and contain numerous twists and turns. How it plays out is anybody's guess but I do believe that the scenarios I mentioned are very viable indeed.

I agree that the NSC is rather stable and content with some minor exceptions: Moorhead's football program is in shambles and UM-Crookston has never been able to compete even in the Northern Sun. Could those two be the sacrificial lambs to make way for SCSU and MSU? Those two joining the NSC probably makes the most sense but all is on the table as I have previously stated IMO.

Comment

I'll give you 6 good reasons the NCC is stronger than the NSIC:

Sioux Falls
            Grand Forks
            Omaha
            Duluth
            Mankato
            St. Cloud

Comment

Originally posted by Johnson55
              I'll give you 6 good reasons the NCC is stronger than the NSIC:

Sioux Falls
              Grand Forks
              Omaha
              Duluth
              Mankato
              St. Cloud
              Based on that logic would you say Brookings did or didn't contribute while SDSU was in?

Furthermore, would Winona, Bemidji, Aberdeen, or Marshall be adequate as cities for the "new" NCC?
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I hope the ncc stays at least viable until we find a conference. I keep thinking that UND will make a move to d1 and the bsc will want und and ndsu and their intense rivalry leaving us out in the cold. That would be terrible but I think ndsu would throw us under the bus in a heartbeat to get und/ndsu. I hope the bsc accepts 4 teams and und can come along for the ride.
                By the way I thought UNiv of Mary was going to join the ncc since they are pretty far away from the nsc schools and if und stays they are back to 8 members.

Comment

Originally posted by sdman
                   I keep thinking that UND will make a move to d1 and the bsc will want und and ndsu and their intense rivalry leaving us out in the cold.  That would be terrible but I think ndsu would throw us under the bus in a heartbeat to get und/ndsu. .
                  und2 can't make up their mind if they want D-I or D-II or if they want a campus in Fargo or not. In short by the time their present admin makes a decision the opportunity would be lost. I can't speak for NDSU admin but most alums are so sick of the und2 sewage's antics of late we'd just as soon forget about them. I personally would rather be hitched up with you guys and our respectful rivalry than the disrespect we put up with from our "friends" from the north.

Comment

Working...
                  X