Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who had a better recruiting class?

Originally posted by jackmd

Why??  Will we be competing against these recuits?  Are you implying that we should better influence these teenagerst to attend SDSU?  I suspect everything that can be done is being done.  Show some respect for SDSU.  If you want to worry about DII teams do it on your time, not mine.
    I played 4 games against that DII team. One of those games was for the NCC championship. Another was listed in this year's Jacks magazine as one of the most memorable Hobo Day games ever when we beat the then #4 ranked UNO team in double OT. Also, I can't play basketball without walking home with a limp because I tore my MCL when taken out by UNO's fullback in that very same Hobo Day game.

Also, until last year SDSU was proud to be a DII school in the greatest conference in DII. I think it shows a lack of respect for all of the great SDSU athletes who played at the DII level to say that DII is all of a sudden insignificant.

Frankly, I'm interested in UNO because I respect their program. Behrns turned that program from a doormat to a contender. I also root for Kentucky in basketball. That has no bearing whatsoever on my feelings towards SDSU. You will find no bigger supporter than this Jackrabbit. If you don't want to read the talk about UNO, don't read the posts.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

It's always fun to say, "This is a Jackrabbit board, we're D1 now, you aren't.  Get over it.  We don't play you anymore.  Why don't you go back to the USD board.  Oh yea, you don't have one."  

Just like it is fun asking, Why are you losing to Morningside? How in the hell do you lose to Wayne State by 26? and my personal favorite: How do you let a guy who hasn't made a shot all year drain a three to start your season spiraling downward?

Comment

Also, Mav 1 is obviously looking for some positive reinforcement from the SDSU fans. I don't see anything wrong with indulging him in that. I don't turn my daughter away with a "Your drawing is insignificant to me because I no longer struggle to stay in the lines when coloring." We have a duty to be the bigger person in the D1 argument, in my opinion. There's nothing wrong with taking the high road and saying that we wish UNO the best. For all of Mavs' posts, they are all cloaked in a sense of jealousy (whether he can admit it or not). Why beat him over the head with it? I can take his banter for what it's worth and actually derive some satisfaction of my personal inquiries at the same time.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
          It's always fun to say, "This is a Jackrabbit board, we're D1 now, you aren't.  Get over it.  We don't play you anymore.  Why don't you go back to the USD board.  Oh yea, you don't have one."  

Just like it is fun asking, Why are you losing to Morningside? How in the hell do you lose to Wayne State by 26? and my personal favorite: How do you let a guy who hasn't made a shot all year drain a three to start your season spiraling downward?

Mike Fricken Nelte!!

Comment

This may be one of the more entertaining threads on the board. we went from discussing football recruits at two schools, to not being able to talk about UNO in the smack section of our board, to hating UNO, to sticking up for UNO, to doc diagnosing the reason for sdsportsfans comments as something we don't want to discuss in the daylight :, to mike nelke, to giving props to UNO, to not giving praise to your child because you are better at coloring than her(which is my all time favorite analogy now) to mike nelke.

Absolutely Fantastic. ;D
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
              This may be one of the more entertaining threads on the board. we went from discussing football recruits at two schools, to not being able to talk about UNO in the smack section of our board, to hating UNO, to sticking up for UNO, to doc diagnosing the reason for sdsportsfans comments as something we don't want to discuss in the daylight :, to mike nelke, to giving props to UNO, to not giving praise to your child because you are better at coloring than her(which is my all time favorite analogy now) to mike nelke.

Absolutely Fantastic. ;D
              Basketball attendance? ;D ;D ;D ;D
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The smack board lives! Thank goodness. It was getting a little dull around the old smack arena.

UNO has a nice class. So does SDSU. It looks like Stig and the staff cast a very wide net. But UNO and SDSU don't play, so we'll never know which class is better.

I think we can all agree that UNO has a good DII program going in several sports. SDSU is working its way up (in MBB, from pretty much the bottom) and will ultimately be strong in several DI sports.

[smack]I do think if we played UNO in football, we would mike frickin' nelte them from Morningside to Wayne State and back.[/smack]

Comment

To quote Lee Corso, "Not so fast my friend" IMO SDSU and UNO would be a heck of a football game. I miss playing you guys. You would not blow us out. Because we don't play anymore you guys didn't get a chance to see Jamar Day our running back. This guy IMO will get a chance to show that he can play on Sundays and gives UNO its first chance at a Harlon Hill trophy winner. So OK Jackrabbitt, just like the say before every UFC match LETS GET IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm having a better day overall today and wish to bakc off on my criticism of sportfan. My not so sublte point was to celebrate our recruits and recognize the hard work I am sure our coaching staff put forth.

That sain, I will not be more tolerant of Mav based only on a new principal of intolerance for all current DII fans and players. I sure didn't mean to hurt Milwaukee's feelings and I hope he finds time to heal. Maybe one of Dr. Wulf's colleagues could assist with his "limp".

I attended SDSU during the DII era and was a proud alum and supporter of the Jacks. I had a deep down hatred for USD>NDSU>UND>Augie>Northern>Metro St.>St. Cloud St.>UNO>Mankato St. I can now move UNO up that later thanks to Mav and Bigjake alone.

Has the NCC BB season started yet?
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by SDsportsFan
                      I appreciate you taking an interest in how I spend my time, I didn't know you cared so much. I'm not posting about UNO recruits but if they are getting players that I feel we should get then I am interested in hearing abou it. Obviously you are as well as you keep reading the threads dealing with it.  No, me being interested in who they recruited is going to change the fact that they didn't sign with SDSU, as you pointed out, but does that mean I can't comment on it. Are we only supposed to comment on things that we can change?  Do you think everytime that you complain about our mens basketball team not being able to defend the 3 pointer that it will change the way we play defense.
                      I guess nobody should post anything about a recruit that considered SDSU but signed with someone else, since there is no use whining about it.
                      Sounds about right to my eyes. ;D
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                        I sure didn't mean to hurt Milwaukee's feelings and I hope he finds time to heal.  Maybe one of Dr. Wulf's colleagues could assist with his "limp". 
                        It takes more than a post on a website full of know-it-alls (present company included) to hurt my feelings. Also, I put in an order for two new knees and a new back a long time ago with Wulf and he still keeps telling me they're all on back order. But, I gave those knees and back to SDSU back when they were merely a DII university, so that probably doesn't even count. Now, I'm off to heal.

Comment

Jack MD

What did I do to deserve all the hate? So I ran some smack at SDSU. Isn't that what this board is for? I have said some nice things about SDSU (womens basketball) while I don't recall you saying anything nice about UNO.

Mavs #1

Comment

Originally posted by SDsportsFan

It sounds like they might be stealing some of our recruits, and I care about that.  If UNO is getting a better recruiting class than we are then that is a concern.
                            I don't think you need to worry. Highlights from the Columbus, NE paper:

Football stars commit to play at college

By JEFF MALMGREN/Telegram Sports Editor

As stars at separate high schools, Casey Bender of Lindsay Holy Family and Steven Bazata of Howells were similarly impressive.

Apparently so much so that South Dakota State University football coach John Stiegelmeier couldn't choose between them. He recruited each to play for the Jackrabbits and both were happy to sign national letters of intent to join the team Wednesday.  .  .  .

Bender, a two-time All-State and three-time All-District selection, had 90 tackles, 13 sacks and four fumble recoveries as a senior, while Holy Family won the Class D-2 State Championship. The Bulldogs were also the runner-up in 2003 and 2002.

Meanwhile, Bazata lost only one game during his high school career on the Howells team, going 51-1 and winning the D-1 State title four straight seasons. Both Bender and Bazata were All-Huskerland selections as well.

Bazata "has been a solid kid we've been able to use on the line for three years," said Howells coach Michael Speirs. "He's one of the most dominant defensive linemen we've ever had. He has good footwork for his size and a motor."

"I think over the next couple years I can become a dominant force and wreak havoc" at South Dakota State, Bazata said.

Speirs said the lure of playing Division I-AA football helped the Jackrabbits land Bazata. After a senior season that was highlighted by 20 solo tackles, 12 sacks and three fumble recoveries, Bazata considered Nebraska-Omaha, Nebraska-Kearney and Southwest Missouri State before deciding on South Dakota State.

"I felt like I could play at the highest level," Bazata said. "That was one of the factors. They have an aggressive style defense that I like and I like the direction they're headed."

The Jackrabbits are an up-and-coming Division I-AA football program after moving up from Division II last season.  .  .  .

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
                              What did I do to deserve all the hate?
                                                           Mavs #1
                              Rhetorical question right?

Comment

Working...
                              X