Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: We beat you again..........

Originally posted by sports_buff

If faced with a choice of cutting the baseball team or wasting millions of dollars to get a women's equestrian team I would cut the baseball team in a second. ;D
    Not your greatest post, sports_buff. Your statement seems to denote that you are both unaware of the current climate in NCAA athletics and sexist at the same time. Title IX is a reality of college sports (although USD seems to think otherwise). When SDSU was faced with the task of evening out their scholarships, they stepped up and offered more opportunities to deserving women athletes. USD took the low road and took opportunities away from not only potential women athletes, but also current and future men athletes. I'm not sure how that's something to be proud of.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum

Not your greatest post, sports_buff.  Your statement seems to denote that you are both unaware of the current climate in NCAA athletics and sexist at the same time.  Title IX is a reality of college sports (although USD seems to think otherwise).  When SDSU was faced with the task of evening out their scholarships, they stepped up and offered more opportunities to deserving women athletes.  USD took the low road and took opportunities away from not only potential women athletes, but also current and future men athletes.  I'm not sure how that's something to be proud of.
      Call it the low road if you want, but if our AD had chosen to spend millions on an equestrian team I would have been furious. I do feel bad for our baseball players that their sport was cut, but if faced with those two choices I would rather have our AD cut the baseball program than spend millions of dollars to add a sport like equestrian. The only opportunities that were taken away were from the baseball players, not potential women athletes. There is nobody that came here to compete in equestrian, so therefore we didn't take away any opportunities away by not adding it.
      I understand the financial part of athletics, and I understand that every university can't afford to add every sport out there. Am I a sexist if I don't want USD to add gymnastics, field hockey, and women's water polo. Why doesn't SDSU add all those sports and some more men sports as well? Are you taking away opportunities from deserving athletes by not adding those sports?
      I'm guessing SDSU wouldn't be able to fund all of those extra sports and it wouldn't make much since for them to try, just like it wouldn't make much since for USD to add a sport like equestrian. Unfortunately the most logical choice was to cut a floundering program like our baseball team.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
        You had a committee down there that studied the Title IX situation for months and one of their recommendations was to drop Baseball
        It looks like we followed the committee's recommendation. And here you guys act like we made such a stupid move, when all we did was follow the recommendation's of experts on the situation.

Comment

Where is this millions figure coming from? The horses are donated, the stables already exist. The coach is also a teacher in HPER, I'm sure. As with all intercollegiate sports, the big expense is scholarships, which doesn't get us into the 'millions'. Anybody know how many scholarships we're talking about?

I think it's a smart move to add equestrian. It certainly fits the state well and energizes a whole new group of people.

Comment

Equistrian gives another opportunity to women and is a great equalizer of scholarships to counter football. Brilliant move to offer a sport where most of the scholarships will go to deserving women in the state. I'm sure most of the horses will also come from South Dakota.

Comment

It looks like we followed the committee's recommendation.  And here you guys act like we made such a stupid move, when all we did was follow the recommendation's of experts on the situation.
              The committee was forced to make these recommendation otherwise the NCAA was about to KICK ARSE AT USD. so its hardly a group of experts here. Its more like a damage control team. ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                Equistrian gives another opportunity to women and is a great equalizer of scholarships to counter football. Brilliant move to offer a sport where most of the scholarships will go to deserving women in the state. I'm sure most of the horses will also come from South Dakota.

Not to be out-done by SDSU.....

USD officials announced today that they are looking into establishing a "WOMEN'S DONKEY BASEBALL TEAM.

A Spokesman for USD said, "We are considering the Title IX impact on our athletic department. We really do miss baseball, we already have the baseball equipment, we have an ample supply of "complete donkeys" (edited for content).

"We do need to come up with a new name for our team, though, something that will identify USD as an Extraordinary Donkey Baseball Venue".

In a stroke of marketing genius USD has set up a web site where South Dakotans can register their vote for their favorite name:

http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?ID=11330

Wow, You can vote for your favorite SD Quarter and your favorite USD Donkey Baseball Team name all on-line!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
                  Where is this millions figure coming from? The horses are donated, the stables already exist. The coach is also a teacher in HPER, I'm sure. As with all intercollegiate sports, the big expense is scholarships, which doesn't get us into the 'millions'. Anybody know how many scholarships we're talking about?

I think it's a smart move to add equestrian. It certainly fits the state well and energizes a whole new group of people.
                  When I talk about it costing millions, I mean for USD it would. The stables don't already exist in Vermillion and the horses probably wouldn't be donated either, maybe they would. Not to mention who are we going to compete against around here. The travel budget would be pretty big, I would expect. I will say it makes more sense for State to add equestrian than it would USD. Like you said the stables are already in place, and the sport fits in better with the school. I think even if that sport was offered at USD they wouldn't get enough girls to try out to even be able to field a team. For SDSU it might have very well been a good decision, but for USD it wouldn't be a good decision at all.

Comment

When I talk about it costing millions, I mean for USD it would. The stables don't already exist in Vermillion and the horses probably wouldn't be donated either, maybe they would. Not to mention who are we going to compete against around here. The travel budget would be pretty big, I would expect.  I will say it makes more sense for State to add equestrian than it would USD. Like you said the stables are already in place, and the sport fits in better with the school. I think even if that sport was offered at USD they wouldn't get enough girls to try out to even be able to field a team. For SDSU it might have very well been a good decision, but for USD it wouldn't be a good decision at all.
                    Gotcha. Sorry, I misunderstood.

Comment

Working...
                    X