Attendance Has Been A Success???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attendance Has Been A Success???

We are also honest about how many actually paid at the gate.

Comment

Jackrabbitt 79

By the way, You never responded to the fact that you or your friend Big Jake (but i am almost positive it is you) continuously tell a few rabbit fans to get off the D2football and Basketball boards. While i was lurking over there catching up on some good D2 news i noticed your distaste for a few of those posters. That's not being very hospitable as we enjoy your posts here .
      You should look up hypocrisy in the dictionary.

That is me, you are correct. I probably have been a little rough to some rabbitts over on those boards. If you implying that I have never been told to go to another board I would have to disagree with that. I have been put on probation here so it has not always been with open arms that I have been received. The SDSU fans that get on those boards try and hide their identity by posing as guests or changing their names. I have admitted that I am UNO Rules or Maverick #1. As far as the hypocrite things goes I would say it goes both ways. Fans here ask why I should care what goes on with SDSU while Rabbitt fans get on D2 boards. Isn't that being a hypocrite?

Mavs #1

Comment

Why did Mav pick the last four games I wonder?  Could it be that the last five would have included our only home D-I game against NDSU, with a crowd of 4,281?  Its a possibility, but I am sure it is just a coincidence.  :

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
          The SDSU fans that get on those boards try and hide their identity by posing as guests or changing their names.

Mavs #1
          Don't you hate that? Makes me think of this guy on our board. What was his name? Oh yea it is your buddy Big Jake*.

Go State! ;D

* AKA updm002, feminine_heroine (when he was claiming to be a women), big fan, and most recently GoBisonGo. :

Comment

It just took me awhileto try to find the appropriate moniker. I have never been accused of being a brain scientist but then I am not so stupid to not fully understand when I changed my monikers with the same email address that it was totally evident to anybody with an IQ above 60.I have never been GoBisonGo. I agree with Maverick that a lot of your fans probably miss D2 a lot more than they lead us to believe. It is not a bad thing bc D2 was very good to you.

I too agree with Mav1 that your fans aren't as devoted as I thought. When you probably have 3k students approx on campus and you can't get more than 1500 for some games it makes you wonder just how interested people are in the move to d1. Next year will be a better measure of things but based on this year your fans have not supported the Jacks as much as I would if I were one of your fans.

Comment

As stated before in this thread the downward turn in Men's Basketball attendance has VERY little to do with the move to D-I. It has much more to do with our teams performance. I will cut the students some slack because half of this years home games were played while they were on one break or another.

If you choose to call the SDSU fans fair weather, well you may have a point. However. I think to do so you have to ignore the fact that South Dakota State set a single-season football attendance record during the 2004 season, averaging 9,846 fans per game at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium with a team that went 6-5.

Attendance for Men's basketball is down, there is no denying that, but I think you will have a hard time trying to argue that it is somehow a reaction to SDSU's move to D-I. It is more correctly attributed to a program that is rebuilding with a poor schedule.

Next year's team will be better and next year's schedule is MUCH better. If numbers are still down (which they won't be, in my opinion) then maybe you can make this argument credibly.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Question for bigjake and mav

Did our fans show their support during the football season?

Comment

I'm very excited about what is happening with our football program in terms of support and talent. I think it's long overdue and the potential is endless. I'm not worried about our basketball program as I know the interest is there as South Dakota is Basketball crazy. I'm seeing a real interest in the women's basketball program as evidenced by the record setting crowd against NDSU and a good crowd of over 2,000 against the university of sioux falls. The women are creating their own identity and fan base. They are no longer the exhibition game before the mens game. The men have had a terrible home schedule in terms of opponents and the timing of those games. To top it off we have a young inexperienced team that is struggling. I think beginning next year you will see a better schedule and a better team that will result in a gradual increase in attendence over the next few years. If we put together a competitive team, join a conference and have a solid home schedule look out they will pack Frost like never before. The last thing I'm worried about is the future of Mens Basketball at SDSU!

Comment

I was surprised that your fb attendance was that good but you are right that you had some nice attendance.  I will be watching closely to see if your fb trends up next year or if they pull a UNC and fall thru the floor in your second year.  Don't know anything about your recruits to speculate but it will be interesting to see what happens next year.  Also, will be interesting if UNC is a one year deal or if d1aa tends to be more problematic for them than they thought.  I tend to think it will be a one year blip for them but we shall see.  FB is the one and only season that I wish UNO was in d1 - I would love to be in 1aa fb

Comment

Jake,

If you are talking about UNC's record then I agree with you.  After a good first season in I-AA, top 25 finish, they tanked in year two going 2-9.  If you are talking about their attendence, that has stayed the same (for the most part) year after year.

04-  UNC 4,562  
                      03-  UNC 5,746  (First year in I-AA)
                      02-  UNC 5,984  
                      01-  UNC 5,231  
                      00-  UNC, 4860  
                      99-  UNC 6,836  
                      98-  UNC 5,563  

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm

Our attendence is low for a number of reasons...
                        1)   we're bad
                        2)  we're playing essentially a non-confernce d2 schedule, and we're losing
                        3)  a good portion of the games are on weeknights, not weekends and we're losing.
                        Does anyone know what nights most of your home games will be played on next year, because I will definetly admit that you have been hurt this year by a lot of your home games being played during the week. Games draw better on the weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff

Does anyone know what nights most of your home games will be played on next year, because I will definetly admit that you have been hurt this year by a lot of your home games being played during the week. Games draw better on the weekends.
                          I'm guessing it will be pretty similar to this year.  Again, next years opponents will be playing us outside of their conference games.  Conference tend to be on the weekends.  I don't see this changing much until we are accepted into a conference.  It will help that next years games will be against d1 opponents who will draw more interest from the casual fan as opposed to Morningside etc, etc.  Again, if we start winning, the fans will come out of their shells.  Get your season tickets while you can.

Comment

I don't believe the schedule has officially been released yet so the dates are unknown.
                            As far as attendence for next year i expect basketball to go up dramatically with the quality of opponents being increased ten fold. Even if we get the snot kicked out of us everynight, people will still come to see Butler or UMKC do it more than morningside or Southwest STate. Plus i have a feeling we will be much more competitive next season

On the flipside, i would expect our football numbers to go down some based on the fact that we have eight home games instead of four. More opportunity for people to see the jacks will cause some to skip some the home dates that are available. The nice part about the football schedule is that when we play weaker opponents they are night games or promo games (Lacrosse, Missouri Rolla, Valpo, etc. ) I would tend to think that night games are better attended since we started them a couple years ago. Then when we start to play some of the conference opponents and non conf. D1aa's the name recognition and quality of opponents should bring the fans in.

Just my two cents.
                            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I agree it will be difficult to match our attendence figures of 2004. I hope that an average of close to 10,000 becomes the norm. I'm curious to see if we can sell out the Sioux Falls game in 10,000 seat Howard Wood. We truly have some marquise games in 2005 that even the casual fan should want to come out and see. I have been a long time season ticket holder in basketball and purchased season tickets for football for the first time last year and really enjoyed having the same good seats thoughout the season. I hope the administration is planning an extensive marketing campaign for football this year.

Comment

I hope they are planning any marketing at all, Honestly this is one area that i think the dept. really needs to step it up. I live in Brookings and rarely hear any media, see any media, or anything that would draw the casual Jack fan to Frost or Coughlin. It has gotten a little better the past year (the jackrabbit report, some tv ads, etc. ) but their still is a lot to be desired. How about some damn billboards or something? You can't drive to Sioux Falls or in Sioux Falls without seeing billboards for USD, Augie, Southwest State, etc. I don't know if it is the most effective way of advertising but it may be needed just to offset the other schools attempts. For awhile there was an Augie billboard in Brookings, i had to look at it everyday as i walked out the front door of my house in college. :
                                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                                X