UND vs USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UND vs USD

Just saw that USD/UND tonight is on KELO. Why would they televise that game, but not SDSU/NDSU. Is it because of the off year the men are having?

Re: UND vs USD

The game is being billed as the battle of the dakota's. (the second tier dakota's) If you want to spend your time watching it I bet you will see a 3 and a half hour commercial for USD. I think we could consider KELO USD's station. If anyone remembers back to last year's SDSU/USD game down at the dome the broadcast was heavily slanted toward USD. I won't even claim to know the specifics but my guess would be that USD has paid some fee to have the game broadcast.

Comment

Don't take this wrong, I think its a good thing that some college games are being televised in SD even if its not SDSU. I suspect the first televised games featuring SDSU will be away games.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the reason that game was televised was that USD paid to have it happen. KELO wouldn't do it unless there was money in it. Last year's SDSU/USD game was a commercial for USD, because USD was the main sponsor.

Typical USD: Create an illusion of importance by unwisely spending money. Reminds me of their scoreboard deal (Daktronics makes all the money on advertising) versus ours (we keep the money.) It took SDSU longer to get the scoreboard because we did it right and with the long-term welfare of the program in mind. Sure, SDSU could spend a bunch of money and get a game on KELO. What would be the benefit? More kids coming to SDSU? They're already coming in larger numbers than to USD.

Comment

I missed last nights game on KELO, I guess I was to busy watching this years Jackrabbit opponent UW Milwaukee play Hawaii on ESPN2.

Comment

Originally posted by 90Jackrabbit
            I missed last nights game on KELO, I guess I was to busy watching this years Jackrabbit opponent UW Milwaukee play Hawaii on ESPN2.
            Since you missed it let me fill you in. USD put on another show last night, destroying a conference leader for the third time in a row. Mueller put on another show. You should be glad that Kelo land hasn't put on any SDSU games this year, you don't want everyone to see how bad you are this year, do you?
            Anyone who fesses up to watching the game last night would have to admit that USD looked pretty good.

Comment

KELO paid USD to broadcast the game, USD did not pay to have it broadcast. Furthermore, part of the deal stipulated that USD's corporate sponsors be included in the broadcast. So it was not unwise spending by USD.

Comment

KELO paid USD to broadcast the game, USD did not pay to have it broadcast. Furthermore, part of the deal stipulated that USD's corporate sponsors be included in the broadcast. So it was not unwise spending by USD.
                Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that. Are you saying that KELO thought there would be soooo much interest in a USD/UND game that they both payed USD and let USD dictate where a lot of their commercial time (their income source) was going to get used? No way in hell. USD probably payed Kelo for the broadcast, and KELO offered a dicounted rate to USD's sponsors to advertise during the game.

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff

USD put on another show last night, destroying a conference leader for the third time in a row.  Mueller put on another show.
                  I wouldn't call beating a team on a buzzer beater destroying them. You did crush UND last night, but the Mankato game was not you destroying them.

Comment

I'm sure Mueller displayed his usual level of lack of sportsmanship for the whole state to see on tv.

Comment

With UND being the conference leader, it shows how far the NCC has fallen with the two best institutions move to DI. Even with our struggles this season, we could have beaten UND by 20.

Listening to the game last night, I casn honestly say Culhane is not the worst announcer I have ever heard. I was suprised that the attendance was 5000, by the crowd noise I would have guessed closer to 500.

Comment

Originally posted by coyotefanatic
                        Well I would take your word for it, except that a friend of mine works at KELO and says it was the other way around.

Comment

I have friends in the administration at USD and have been told that it was KELO paying for the broadcast. He said, He said. I don't think that we can really resolve which is true and which is not. The difference between radio being paid to broadcast games at the DII and many time even the DI level is that it is a pride factor for those institutions to have every game available to their alumni. Television is a bit different because the University holds more leverage in those kinds of contracts. Plus, it is a similar theory to blackouts in some major markets. If the game is on TV then you risk losing some of the gate receipt.

Comment

Originally posted by coyotefanatic
                            I have friends in the administration at USD and have been told that it was KELO paying for the broadcast. He said, He said. I don't think that we can really resolve which is true and which is not. The difference between radio being paid to broadcast games at the DII and many time even the DI level is that it is a pride factor for those institutions to have every game available to their alumni. Television is a bit different because the University holds more leverage in those kinds of contracts. Plus, it is a similar theory to blackouts in some major markets. If the game is on TV then you risk losing some of the gate receipt.
                            You're right. One of our sources could well be full of crap and there's no real way for us as mere SDSU bulletin board discussants to determine which one. If it is true that KELO paid for the broadcast, it is fair to ask why, and also to ask why they haven't done the same for SDSU. Furthermore, it would be fair to complain when KELO's license comes up for renewal. Remember, we own the airwaves and KELO just borrows them.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
                              Well I would take your word for it, except that a friend of mine works at KELO and says it was the other way around.
                              That would be one of the worst negotiated media contracts for a university. NDSU was paid $100k/yr. by The Forum/WDAY for it's media contract, which included televising one road football game, one women's BB game,a men's BB game, and the coaches' shows. NDSU renegotiated their media deal, as they wanted content control on both of the coaches' TV shows. NDSU is now paid ~86k, and gets the advertising revenue from the commercials during the shows.

Comment

Working...
                              X