Re: SDSU v NDSU

Highlights from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...0227/SPORTS020 2/502270341/1002

SDSU's men get it done
    Freshman Holdren scores 19 for Jacks

Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

published: 02/27/05

FARGO - Solid defense. Aggressive rebounding. Clutch shooting. Big scoring runs.

In the finale of its first Division I season, the old South Dakota State moxie was back.

The young Jackrabbits outscored North Dakota State 38-15 between the end of the first half and start of the second to wrap up its season with a 68-57 victory Saturday at the Bison Sports Arena.

"Who wins at the end of the season? Not many people do," said sophomore Joe Green, who had 18 points and a game-best 12 boards. "We're really excited about that. We just wanted to get back to playing Jacks basketball."

SDSU decidedly outrebounded the Bison 47-28 and held them to 25 percent from the field in the second half. The way the Jacks played reminded 10th-year coach Scott Nagy of some of his finest teams, a high compliment for a squad that struggled for consistency all year.

"We kicked tail on the boards, our kids were focused," Nagy said. "I even mentioned to (assistant coach) Troy (Larson) before the game, when we had our good teams, I loved coming to places like this because I knew we'd kick people's tails and the fans would be leaving early. There is no better feeling." . . .

"It's been a long season, it's been different, it's been tough at times," said freshman Steve Holdren, who led the Jackrabbits with 19 points and snagged 10 rebounds. "To go out this way means a lot to our seniors because it's their last game. To send them out with a win over a rival team feels good."

The Bison began with a balanced burst, building an 18-5 lead barely five minutes into the game.

SDSU countered with eight straight points, including a pair of 3-pointers from senior Brady Hokenson, before the Bison went back in front by 10 late in the period.

SDSU exploded with an 11-2 run to close out the first half. When Holdren drilled a 3-pointer, the Jacks claimed their first lead at 33-31, which they carried into halftime.

"When we went up two at half," Nagy said, "I knew (NDSU) was in trouble."

A jump shot and free throw by NDSU's Andy Kelchen gave the Bison a 38-37 lead early in the second when the Jacks put it away. Sophomore Ben Beran made a layup, two of his eight points in the game, followed by a Holdren 3-pointer that ignited an 11-0 run.

When Green yanked an offensive rebound, layed it back in and was fouled with six minutes left, with the ensuing free throw making it a 59-49 Jacks, Nagy bobbed his head, pumped his fist and cheered his way down the entire length of the bench. His jubilant ouburst seemed like a huge release in a season filled with ups and downs.

"The last couple games, he's really got into it," Green said of Nagy. "We've played good as a team, and it gets him pretty excited when we're on that kind of a roll."

NDSU chopped the Jacks' cushion to seven twice in the final minute, but SDSU put the game away at the line. The Bison had only six second-half field goals.

Despite a slow start, SDSU outshot NDSU 40.4 percent to 30.9 percent, on top of the 19-rebound edge.

"We just did not give our best effort tonight," NDSU coach Tim Miles said. "Credit South Dakota State. I thought they just came out and outworked us. You'll see it in our rebounding totals and defensive field goal percentage."

All but the three seniors expected to return next year for SDSU, and two talented redshirt freshmen (Matt Cadwell and Andre Gilbert) ready to fill the void. Nagy expects to add about three more recruits to make a five-player incoming class with two 6-foot-10 post players from Minnesota already committed.

"The fans here got a good look at what the future's gonna be like," Nagy said.

If only for one night, SDSU's present looked sharp.

Go State! ;D

Comment

*From the moderator

Please tone down/stop the name calling.  This thread is not on the smack board.  Thank you.

Comment

I personally went to the ticket office at Bison Sports Arena on Thursday hoping I could still pick up two reserved seats somewhere.  The only thing left was a few seats behind the student section and the young man working at the ticket booth said that he could not guarentee a clear vision because of the NDSU students  often standing during the game. This being the only option, I chose to listen on the radio.  I am not complaining as students love to stand and its getting to be more and more a craze everywhere. I first ran into this at K-State back in 1989 when I went to see Minnesota play K State.

The point is that NDSU loves to see SDSU come to town and it was evident by the size of the crowd.  Plus I believe SDSU had a good following in attendence.

I think if SDSU were to put the men and women games with NDSU together for one evening, we would no doubt sell out Frost.

In the post game show on WDAY, Coach Miles made a comment that he could not wait until January 14th as that is when SDSU returns to Fargo, at least the men do.

Coach Miles had his whole family near during the post game show and he introducEd his brother in law as a member of the legislature in South Dakota.  He jokingly said he wanted  his brother-in-law to legislate against SDSU.  Coach Miles who is a native of Doland  SD is a class guy and a good friend of Coach Nagy.

In basketball, I can forsee a great rivilry developing and sellouts in Fargo and Brookings will be the rule and not the exception.

I also see the Wrestling duel on Friday drew 905 people in Fargo. So there is interest in that sport too.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
          Highlights from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...0227/SPORTS020 2/502270341/1002

SDSU's men get it done
          Freshman Holdren scores 19 for Jacks

Chris Solari
          csolari@argusleader.com

published: 02/27/05

The young Jackrabbits outscored North Dakota State 38-15 between the end of the first half and start of the second to wrap up its season with a 68-57 victory Saturday at the Bison Sports Arena.
          So you guys scored 38 points during halftime?

Comment

Quite a trick, isn't it?

Comment

Nice win. Seems shooting is the key for this team. They always work hard on the boards and try to defend as best as they can, but if their shots aren't falling they just don't have a chance. Hope coach Nagy can find a shooter with some college BB experience. Redshirt the incoming big men and try to plug in a young guard. Then, stick with the most talented kids even if the early season next year is a struggle. By the end we may have a decent DI BB team on our hands.

Heartbreaking loss for our women, but that doesn't take away from a quality year. Very proud of their performance and looking forward to continued success with an even better schedule next year.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Congrats on the mens victory, It was fun meeting some of the Jack's fans while we were tailgating (yes, tailgating, I think we were the only ones) was a bit windy all afternoon, but not bad. Hope more of you stop by the Bison Battlewagon and say hi this football season.

Comment

Welcome to the Jackrabbit board Bisonfan 1.  Thanks for posting. Congrats to you on the Women's game. It was a hard fought battle.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I need everyones help on this one, I over heard we are loking at a young man from Kansas city today, I hear he is around 6-5, 6-6 and as athletic as andre gilbert. I know if someone said the name I could tell you if that is it. Can anyone help me out.

Comment

I don't know, but there's a ton of high school basketball talent in the KC area. Hard to recruit here because it's in the heart of Big XII country, not to mention UMKC and the Missouri Valley and the MIAA D-II schools, plus the generally national nature of most D-I programs' recruiting.

But if we could sneak a recruit or two out of KC in the early years of our D-I transition, it would make it that much easier to recruit competitively here down the road.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think Kansas City would be another good recruiting area. The Omaha Metro area and Nebraska is just not producing many top notch basketball players.

Comment

Could any of these be the mystery Missouri guy?
                          Josh Hospeth
                          Matt Foster
                          Johnny Hill-Vashon 6'4
                          Matt Brenan-Lee's Summitt 6'7
                          Lorenzo Riley-Platte Co. 6'6 32 inch vertical

Comment

Here is a question for everyone. A lot of people read these posts and my thinking might be wrong but should we be naming off possible recruits names so other schools may get them try to steal them. I might be paranoid but the chance is there. What are your thoughts?

Comment

If a coach has resorted to looking for kids on the SDSU fan site, I think his program is in trouble and we don't need to worry about it much.

Go State! ;D

Comment

If a player is worth a hoot they already have dozens of coaches, from all levels, already looking at them. There aren't many surprises before signing day. They usually come after signing day.

Comment

Working...
                                X